User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Do I need a gun to my head? Is that it?

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I want to change, I want to take hold of my life and fully experience it before I'm six feet under. But something stops me--I'm afraid of change, I'm afraid of the unknown. What is it that I'm waiting for? What do I need to do in order to convince myself to stomach these fears and charge ahead? I've done all the research, I've talked to all the right people. I've pondered and journaled and cried. I've debated with myself and always came with the same conclusion--all I need to do is to take action, to commit, even if it hurts, even if it's scary. But I haven't taken action. I'm afraid I never well, yet for some reason I hold on to this possibility that things will change--eventually.

Does anyone else ever suffer the same quandary? What do you do in order to overcome your hesitations and fears? What are you waiting for?
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

I go through these same stages of panic leading up to the changes I inevitably enact.

Good sign!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I disabled all my thread subscriptions, so you send a bogus friend request to lure me back here.

Again, I see you are practically begging me to come back here and start a flight. Why? I've have not seen much skill lately but I have seen some in the past. Who trains to learn these skills? Who get paid to do it?

My only reasoning is that you have been chained to your desks at Langley for too long. Go out and get some fresh air bozos!
    What in the world are you yammering about?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If you're anything like me (and it sounds like you are), you probably do. I know I actually work better with a gun to my head, although ironically I find myself trying to minimize the number of guns pointed at my head to reduce my stress levels.

Well, you don't need one, I guess... if you work up the motivation and can force yourself to act, you can manage the change. But it can take a while. Don't be discouraged if it takes you months, or even years, to start on a process that should only take a week or day for most people to prepare for.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I know it, I know it thats an easy one: You need a goal !!
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a while now. I want to change, I want to take hold of my life and fully experience it before I'm six feet under. But something stops me--I'm afraid of change, I'm afraid of the unknown. What is it that I'm waiting for? What do I need to do in order to convince myself to stomach these fears and charge ahead? I've done all the research, I've talked to all the right people. I've pondered and journaled and cried. I've debated with myself and always came with the same conclusion--all I need to do is to take action, to commit, even if it hurts, even if it's scary. But I haven't taken action. I'm afraid I never well, yet for some reason I hold on to this possibility that things will change--eventually.

Does anyone else ever suffer the same quandary? What do you do in order to overcome your hesitations and fears? What are you waiting for?

Just do anything. Who cares? Just do it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Just do anything. Who cares? Just do it.
    The simplicity of that statement is actually really helpful. I think I'm going to start saying things like that in my mind instead of the long, dramatic monologues like above--thanks.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

So you totally ignored the simplicity of my statement ?

You must be a total genius !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Break it all down into smaller chunks. Don't overwhelm yourself.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    So you totally ignored the simplicity of my statement ?

You must be a total genius !
    Sarcasm
    I read and take into account every post in my threads; I'm just too lazy to respond to all of them.
    But yeah, setting a goal that will force me to look forward instead of behind is a good idea--now that I think about it, my goal is mostly "to get better", and that's pretty vague, lol.
    Paired with LucrativeSid's suggestion, I think I'll try and set small goals every weak so that things don't seem so overwhelming.
    Thank ya thank ya
    - George Carlin