User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

I think that it's possible that a serious mental illness could manifest itself as an extreme type,
    and no one would be the wiser.

MBTI
    infp

Funny, I am a n00b to the INFP-MBTI things and the FIRST thing that popped into my head was "is there a correlation between types and mood/personality disorders?" I was diagnosed with bipolar depression when I was 23, after a severe bout of post-partum neurosis. I've been heavily medicated (10 meds) and I have now whittled myself down to just 3 meds *pats self on the back* partly because I have chosen to take a strong stance in the mental health care i receive.

In short...do all schizo's tend to lean towards a type? Do all narcissists lean towards a type? Are most bipolars INFP's? Hmmmm...

MBTI
    INTJ

I think that MBTI Type, at best, expresses "tendencies" which are usually only about 85% accurate about any particular person,
    so that, at most, you could probably come up with a type that "tends" to be the "most narcissistic", etc.
    I think Type can help explain why someone struggles with -narcissism, for example -
    but I don't think it could fairly be used as a predictor for it, in my opinion.

For instance, I am an INTJ and struggle with perfectionism.
    I have read that INTJs tend to struggle with perfectionism more than any other type,
    however not all INTJs struggle with perfectionism.
    Neither do only INTJs struggle with perfectionism.
    Last edited by INTJMom; 09-30-2007 at 02:28 PM.

For instance, I am an INTJ and struggle with perfectionism.
    I have read that INTJs tend to struggle with perfectionism more than any other type,
    however not all INTJs struggle with perfectionism.
    Neither do only INTJs struggle with perfectionism.
    Very true.

I think that it's possible that a serious mental illness could manifest itself as an extreme type,
    and no one would be the wiser.
    It's interesting to think about. I'm wondering if certain mental illnesses (none of which come to mind because I don't know anything about mental illnesses) are only accessible to certain types? For example say there's a mental illness that involves extreme sensitivity (I'm just whipping these out of my butt, by the way), agoraphobia, hallucinations, extreme disorganization, ADD, failure to complete tasks, etc - these traits conflict with a lot of types' preferences. Js aren't usually incapable of completing tasks, and Ts aren't usually extremely sensitive. So it would follow that this mental illness either most likely crops up in FPs, or in TJs who are behaving like their shadows. Do you think any mental illness is accessible to any type, or that some mental illnesses are nearly always found in certain types?

Another example is a psychopath. If psychopaths can't empathize with others, does this mean they're usually extreme Ts, or that they're Fs that are behaving like their own shadows? Can psychopaths be either?

In response to the OP: I don't think MBTI can be used for improving mental health either. I find the enneagram more suited to that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Would you say such a thing is possble?

I was totally blown away when i first learnt about my type, I felt like much confusion in my life about my weaknesses was finally answered, and that I no longer had to feel ashamed for not being like everyone else.

Yet still those weaknesses continue to be a curse when it comes to living in the real world.

Depression
    Solitude
    Inability to focus
    Self criticism
    Too soft

Yet I read these are INFP traits, and these are things the doctors would medicate, and yes I would wish to eradicate too.

So how do you take type awareness and help yourself become something better?
    Seeking constant solitude is not a weakness, it's a natural consequence of introversion. The reason why it is seen as symptomatic of a problem is because it's not common.

I am a very solitary person, yet I have absolutely no problems with depression or any self-esteem issues. I think it is very inaccurate when people automatically assume solitude is indicative of psychological problems. It's not.
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    ...It's interesting to think about. I'm wondering if certain mental illnesses (none of which come to mind because I don't know anything about mental illnesses) are only accessible to certain types? For example say there's a mental illness that involves extreme sensitivity (I'm just whipping these out of my butt, by the way), agoraphobia, hallucinations, extreme disorganization, ADD, failure to complete tasks, etc - these traits conflict with a lot of types' preferences. Js aren't usually incapable of completing tasks, and Ts aren't usually extremely sensitive. So it would follow that this mental illness either most likely crops up in FPs, or in TJs who are behaving like their shadows. Do you think any mental illness is accessible to any type, or that some mental illnesses are nearly always found in certain types?

Another example is a psychopath. If psychopaths can't empathize with others, does this mean they're usually extreme Ts, or that they're Fs that are behaving like their own shadows? Can psychopaths be either?...
    That;s a good question.
    I have read that when people are "beside themselves" they become the worst form of their opposite, so that as an INTJ, when I am "beside myself" I show all the worst manifestations of the ESFP type. I am not sure of the proper technical terms. So who knows.

MBTI
    infp

INTJMom, what do you mean "beside yourself"?

Every type does have it's "defects" and it's benefits. I've always though of my self-criticism and my sensitive nature as just part of my personality, although at one point when I was very young I seriously thought something was wrong because I never saw it in other people.

You mentioned depression, inability to focus, self critism, softness (which I assume to mean sensitivity), and solitude. I think perhaps types are more inclined to some of these than others (perhaps depression is more likely with some kind of IXFP person, while coldness/lack of understanding could be more dominant in a XXTJ type, but that last one is pretty much a wild guess), but the really serious problems are also influenced by external experiences and/or biology.

I know that I personally experience those things more than most people by nature, because my external situation is really quite good, so it really only could be nature (and biology, I suppose) that causes my mood to be turbulent. I've always seen my inability to focus as a blessing in disguise, because it really has given me the ability to see the big picture of things and round it all up, and naturally explore a related topic (or, in laymans terms, my mind wanders off and I think about a new, although related, idea when the old one expires). The only problem with this "inability to focus" I have is that most things, such as school, are set up in a way that needs a different kind of attention. I've heard that people with ADD can "hyperfocus". I don't have ADD (to my knowledge), but I still have a hyperfocusing type thing going on, and it works well for me. Self criticism is the result of my perfectionistic ways, and my attitude that I can always grow and improve and learn. My self-criticism is very optimistic, in that sense, and even though I can be critical, I still like who I am. I feel that sensitivity is an important thing to have when learnign and understanding things, not a defect... softness is only a defect when it stops you from doing what you need to do, or when you can't control it appropriately.

As others have said, solitude is just a byproduct of introversion. I think a lot of those symptoms you mentioned are very much related in similar ways. For example, depression and self-criticism could really be the same problem manifesting itself in different ways. They are both negative, and are both similar in the sense that you feel down on yourself, victimized, and/or like a failure. Perfectionist tendancies could really just be a byproduct of being visionary or idealistic and needing to fill your vision of how something should be.

MBTI
    INTJ

"Beside yourself" is an expression that refers to when somebody loses control of themselves and behaves out of character.