User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Absent Mindedness

I'm plagued by a few different sorts of absent mindedness. These are primarily in the areas of concrete and social interaction. For example, one time I was preparing to paint a chair, and got the angle of the chair just right, the newspapers aligned to catch all the excess spray, but before the first spray failed to notice a lit pilot light a few feet away. I have some tendency to overlook an important detail in the concrete world. I also hit my head on stuff way more than is reasonable.

A second area of oversight is in social dynamics. Sometimes I make mistakes by overlooking details in the social system especially if they are on the surface arbitrary. There are a couple of reasons for this. If my mind gets on a particular train of thought (especially if there is a problem to solve), I am looking at that and not on the social ramifications.

I do alright with processing information, but my Achille's Heel is that my mind doesn't absorb all relevant data in certain areas. The two areas I mentioned might be a bit of an "IN??" issue, but there are many variations on this theme. Can anyone relate to any of this? There are a million ways to be absent minded. In what ways do you struggle with it?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

garbage

Some of my N brethren constantly get told that they're "just not paying attention." I've never been told that explicitly.. but the implication sucks, hard.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

what the OP said ? Ouh... Yeah I think pin-up girls should be included in typology too

--------

I yesterday nearly killed a pedestrian due to absent mindedness, dont tell me about it
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp

you need to get out of your head and into the world more?

i do it a fair amount...before leaving for work, i had my keys in my hand ready to put in my backpack. next thing i know im ready to leave but i have no idea where my keys are. spent 20 mins looking EVERYWHERE and 2 hrs later, i still have no idea where they are

right after im done prepping up for something, i just let go of my thoughts an see if anything pops up...usually works. i've doing this since way before i knew what Ne was

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think 'absent-mindedness' is a bit of a misnomer. It's not like when someone's just an airhead and has an absence of thought going on, and then screws up in the concrete world because of it. With what we call absent-minded people, they're not paying attention to the concrete world because their head is filled with thought and mindfulness not related to present reality. Often it revolves around intense concentration.

Whatever it's called, I'd say it affects INxx's and ENxP's the most. With INxP's maxing out on absent minded professor syndrome, sometimes to the point of dysfunction.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think 'absent-mindedness' is a bit of a misnomer.
    Perhaps absent-mindedness means that the mind is absent from the present moment, rather than that the mind is completely gone.

Or, in a concrete world, these are viewed as one in the same

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Now that I look at it, I don't care for the implications of the word, "absent-minded". I always assumed it meant distracted by internal thoughts. A dear INTP friend of mine was once accused of being lazy, and I'm still pleased with myself for my response. "He's not lazy, just busy on the inside".

I have the two extreme concentration issues of horrible distraction that make it difficult to focus and then this relentless ability to fixate on one idea for hours. Sometimes my mind has trouble locking into that deep mode because it is such a commitment, but I never feel whole if I have gone without it for some time.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    PINT

Well, I'm in autopilot mode most of the time, with all of its funny consequences. It's just that what I'm thinking of is usually not directly related with what I'm doing. I know I have a quite "jumpy" style of thinking, but due to long training in school I manage to give the impression I'm concentrated on what's going on most of the time.

Of course that does not always work. Ask me about some details you told me three minutes ago and you will see what I mean.
    Daylight bores the sunshine out of me...

MBTI
    UFO

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    A dear INTP friend of mine was once accused of being lazy, and I'm still pleased with myself for my response. "He's not lazy, just busy on the inside".

Oh my, that is perfect!

I wish I could tell that to my mother every time she accuses me of being lazy and or 'absent-minded'.

I'm pretty sure it won't work though. I don't think she understands what it means to be "busy on the inside." D:

MBTI
    xxxx

My INFP friend finds it endearing when I'm understanding about her seeming "absent-mindedness." We actually make a good pair when we understand each other. It's nice to have her around so that I'm not so down-to-earth that I start sinking into the crust.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?