• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Absent Mindedness

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
My memory. I don't think it exists. I haven't found it yet. o_O

Not to mention my ISTJ mother and ESFJ sister accuse me of being in my "own little world" half the time. I tune people out without realizing it. It's awful. Plus I lose everything I touch...

Saffronsocks

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Every piece of dust in my house has proper spot, cause otherwise I'd never leave the house trying to figure out where I left the front door. :doh:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think it's very hard to differentiate between someone who does stupid stuff because they have no thought or because they have no practical thought. Does it really make a difference? (Not trying to be an ass rat, I'm just curious).

I don't think it's that hard to tell between someone with a heavily occupied mind versus someone with an empty mind. But maybe with INTx's, we can be so stone faced and non expressive that it can look like nothing is going on beneath the surface. We often make very little effort to express our current states on the outside.

"So, how old are you i can't figure it out...".
"I'm 23. no, wait! Sorry i'm 24. NO!! Wait s*it! Sorry i'm 25... oops":blush:

it can be annoying, but people seem to be used to it and thankfully accept me for my transgressions :smile:

Oh yeah I do this too. I think I've mistakenly said I was 18 and 21 most of the time, because turning those ages in particular gets so imprinted in one's mind.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I probably come off as a ditz because my memory is so craptastic. It's not even funny.
What's worse is that I'm half Asian and sometimes wear glasses, so I think this makes some people assume I'm all intellectual or something.
And then they're sadly disappointed.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Absent Mindedness is a strong quality, for it enables detachment with the world and the ability to process information conceptually. This gives one both the ability to remain unaffected by the environment and to think about future consequences of an existing situation.

luvfreedom

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5/6w
I'm so glad to know that I am not alone. The only thing that helps me remember is to make my life as simple as possible, but I can't make it too simple because then it gets so boring I forget because I am out of the swing of things (make sense??).

It does not help that I am madly in love with an INFP. When we get together, hell, we forget that we forgot to remember! We have both been in previous relationships where the other person remembered for us, so when we first got together it was a disaster. Now we just constantly say,"remember to remind me..." LOL!!!

Sorry. What was I saying???

Lark

I hate it when other people's abscent mindedness effects me, its not as bad as vane thoughtlessness or outright anti-social behaviour but all the same.

I tend to operate in a highly cogniscent/conscious sort of way, I dont get lost in thought and quickly process, plan, react quickly whether its crossing a road when pedestrians are crossing the other way, towards me or something more significant.

And I heartily wish that this sort of pattern of thinking and acting where more widespread, then at least I'd have less people walking into me when I cross the street. I dont know what it is but there seems to be a lack of development of any sort of deep theory of mind among most people I meet.

Presently I theorise that its a result of competing or at variance multiple intelligences, ie someones emotional intelligence, social intelligence, IQ etc. all not operating harmoniously. I think that in part from theorising and in part from when I've worked with people who act in totally dumb ways which are either immediately or eventually against their ultimate interests, its not that they've not thought about it, its not that they arent thoughtful but that their thinking is taking a totally different path, ie irrational emotionally charged assumptions, lousy guess work based on generalisations from pretty limited previous social experiences.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I hate it when other people's abscent mindedness effects me, its not as bad as vane thoughtlessness or outright anti-social behaviour but all the same.

I tend to operate in a highly cogniscent/conscious sort of way, I dont get lost in thought and quickly process, plan, react quickly whether its crossing a road when pedestrians are crossing the other way, towards me or something more significant.

And I heartily wish that this sort of pattern of thinking and acting where more widespread, then at least I'd have less people walking into me when I cross the street. I dont know what it is but there seems to be a lack of development of any sort of deep theory of mind among most people I meet.

Presently I theorise that its a result of competing or at variance multiple intelligences, ie someones emotional intelligence, social intelligence, IQ etc. all not operating harmoniously. I think that in part from theorising and in part from when I've worked with people who act in totally dumb ways which are either immediately or eventually against their ultimate interests, its not that they've not thought about it, its not that they arent thoughtful but that their thinking is taking a totally different path, ie irrational emotionally charged assumptions, lousy guess work based on generalisations from pretty limited previous social experiences.

Allow me to correct your spelling and grammar! Bolded words and punctuation are corrections.

I hate it when other people's absent mindedness affects me, though it is not as bad as vain thoughtlessness or outright anti-social behaviour, but it is all the same.

I tend to operate in a highly cognitive/conscious sort of way, I don't get lost in thought and quickly process, plan, and react quickly whether it is crossing a road when pedestrians are crossing the other way, towards me, or something more significant.

Also, I heartily wish that this sort of pattern of thinking and acting was more widespread, then at least I'd have less people walking into me when I cross the street. I don't know what it is but there seems to be a lack of development of any sort of deep theory of mind among most people I meet.

Presently I theorize that it is a result of competing or at variance multiple intelligences, i.e. someone's emotional intelligence, social intelligence, IQ etc. all not operating harmoniously. I think that in part from theorizing and in part from when I've worked with people who act in totally dumb ways which are either immediately or eventually against their ultimate interests, it is not that they've not thought about it, it is not that they aren't thoughtful but that their thinking is taking a totally different path, i.e. irrational, emotionally charged assumptions and lousy guess work based on generalizations from pretty limited previous social experiences.

:DRemember, conventions are essential for good writing!:D

Lark

If it matters to you yeah.

That was a bit of a winding, rapidly typed post, interesting how my temperament and style has altered since then. I think the forum has changed a bit since then, less hostile, more open, for a long time I just lurked. Also that could have been one of the times I was suffering from acute stress. Interesting to look back and see.

The use of "s" and "Z" is a UK-US english conventional difference, I doubt you can correct that.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
toonia, cafe and i were just discussing this the other day. i am spacey sometimes. i flip from one project to the next. i can't seem to focus on one thing. in fact right now i am thinking of two other things i need to do after i close my browser.

i also seem to have a bad memory. it's like i block things out that aren't needed? i don't know if that's early alzheimers or just spaceyness.

i totally agree with what you're saying about socializing. sometimes when i'm talking to people i space out and skip important parts of the conversation and leave them probably thinking i'm crazy. i expect people to be somewhat psychic and understand what i'm saying. i was at my daughters preschool xmas party the other day and had a brief conversation with this woman who just stared at me and nodded. then we went our separate ways and when i thought about our conversation later i felt as though she probably thought i was loony. either that or she was stupid and had nothing to contribute.

i also notice certain people and analyze then to death. then when we do converse i feel as though i know them while they're still wondering who i am. that doesn't happen often just once in a blue moon.

i guess thats why i feel like an oddball in social settings and avoid them. i always leave feeling like i've said something weird and people think i'm strange. :laugh:

anyway i glanced over your op and understand what you're saying and agree. :hug: