• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you make decisions?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate making decisions :unsure:

choosing a career: I usually end up doing something involving talking to people, because I'm good at talking to people... however, I dream of cooking for a living instead :wubbie:

love/relationships: I don't try, they just kind of happen after I spend some time with the person... I never set out to find love or a partner of sorts :blush:

choosing a pet: I chose the last one because while all of the other puppies were barking and jumping about wildly, he just sat up on his haunches, put his paws in my hands and stared in a sad and intelligent way at me... I was hooked and had to have him :heart:

buying a car: I take my dad and uncle car shopping with me for all the practical things... they choose out the best deals in the lot and I pick the one with the most comfortable seats and most suitable color out of their selections :laugh:

buying grocieries: I'm not sure how I decide what to buy really- it's a complex equation of price, nutritionality, taste, smell and "will the man eat it willingly?"

buying shoes: do they fit, are they comfortable, do I like how they look and will they last a long time? :huh:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know how I decide most things. I'll answer with specific examples.

Choosing a career - I don't remember consciously choosing. Computers are fun, so I studied computer science in college, and then just kinda did stuff... I don't know.

Choosing to be in a relationship with someone - Went out with my wife once and thought she was totally awesome and we were just never apart after that. I don't know how I made a decision. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the 14th year of a crazy long first date.

Choosing a pet - Went to the pet store to browse. My wife handed me a kitten. My heart melted and the kitten came home with us.

Buying a car - Old car died, needed a new one. Browsed craigslist and bought the first car that was in good condition and that I had the cash on hand to buy. I feel very strongly about not borrowing money to buy a car, so the options are kind of limited when you have $7k in cash and have to have a car like now.

Grocery shopping - I don't really do this much. When I do, the wife has sent me to the store with a list and I buy everything on it and pretty much don't notice anything else in the store. We save money like this. :)

Buying a pair of shoes - Running shoes based on function totally. Everything else... no idea. I buy clothing as infrequently as possible. I really don't like to do it at all and I just buy something acceptable and inexpensive. I hate spending money on clothing.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to ask myself as many questions as possible and answer them to come to a conclusion.

Choosing a career
Is the career one that earns me enough money to not hope that there is enough food for the next month. Something that I like well enough. Something that could potentially allow me to travel to work in another place.
Falling in love with someone (edited by request after post 23: Choosing to be in a relationship with someone)
Compatibility. The way she acts. The amount of time I've known her.
Choosing a pet
How demanding is the pet? The cost to continually raise the pet(food, toys, medicine for pets like dogs and cats?) The cost to buy the pet. How much time do I have to be with the pet(letting it outside to exercise, etc) Do I want a pet?
Buying a car
Safety measures? Color? Seating? Cost?
Grocery shopping
Costs? The nutritional value(stuff like the calorie count, the sodium percentage, fat percentage, etc,) what is currently needed at home that I am low on (or can i go without the item for a while.)
Buying a pair of shoes
Is it comfortable? Is it to my liking(style?) The cost?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Choosing a career
Can I enjoy doing this all day? Is it challenging and stimulating, with opportunity for continued learning? Are jobs likely to be available in this field/profession? Are the pay and benefits adequate? Will I have flexibility and autonomy?

Falling in love with someone (edited by request after post 23: Choosing to be in a relationship with someone)
Are our lifestyles compatible? Can I trust them with the most intimate aspects of myself? Do they care genuinely for me, and cause me to feel the same toward them? Are they responsible adults who can stand on their own two feet (not greedy, clingy, overly emotionally needy, etc.)? I actually made a checklist once, comparing someone I was about to break up with, with someone I was considering for a new relationship.

Choosing a pet
Is it the type of animal I prefer, based upon housing and schedule considerations and personal preference? Does it need a (new) home? Is it reasonably healthy and have a decent temperament?

Buying a car
Reliability, seating/cargo configuration meets my needs, fuel efficient, affordable, manual transmission if possible

Grocery shopping
I buy foods to comprise a balanced diet (fruit/vegetables, grains, dairy, protein). I avoid packaged or processed foods, preferring to cook with plain, raw ingredients. I buy in bulk when there is a good sale, and look for in-season and locally grown produce. I would like to find a good farmers' market or even a farm co-op, but there don't seem to be many where I live.

Buying a pair of shoes
Fit/comfort, since I'm on my feet alot; a plain, basic style in black to go with all my work attire; reasonable cost, or at least a good sale. Sometimes I get lucky in a thrift store. I hate to shop for shoes.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Choosing a career:
Do i enjoy this? Is it financially beneficial? Will i struggle to find a job? Is there potential for it to become outdated? What do i need to accomplish to acquire this career?

Falling in love with someone (Choosing to be in a relationship with someone):
Do we love each other? Are we on the same page? Can we communicate our feelings well? Are both parties fairly emotionally stable? Can we function well together for the long haul? Would i cheat on them? Do we agree on not wanting children?
I need mutual love to really agree on and feel comfortable with a relationship, otherwise it feels pointless.

Choosing a pet:
Will i take care of it properly? What kind of pet is it? Do i really want a pet? How much does it cost?
I don't tend to want pets, so this topic doesn't come up much. I think if i really wanted one, it would be a lemur because it would have to be worth it.

Buying a car:
Does it look like a grandma would drive it? Is it fairly efficient? Is it somewhat eccentric? Power windows / air conditioning / automatic / etc?
Also, i wouldn't buy a car unless i really needed one. I don't have that desire to get new and fancy things too frequently if what i have works.

Grocery shopping:
What are the usual items i buy? What am i out of? Are there high odds that what i buy doesn't go to waste? Is this fairly nutritional? Do i have something to cater to most meals of the day for a week or so? What can i save on or assess more cost effectively?

Buying a pair of shoes:
Are they aesthetically appealing? Are they fairly cheap? Will they kill my feet? I want them- want want want, but do i need them?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Choosing a career
I haven't.
But so far, I started out with likes and dislikes of college classes I'm taking, which I know isn't the wisest choice (since those classes were just prep for med school, and they really don't correlate other than the thought processes are similar to fully understand the material of chemistry and medicine).
And my mother...long story. :dry:

Falling in love with someone

I just don't do it. Falling in love sounds fun at first, but goes bad pretty fast. Most of the time I decide any sort of infatuation is a bad idea, unless I'm just curious and I let the other person know that I'm trying not to get close to them, like in a relationship.

Choosing a pet
Never got to choose, although my fish BAMF I bought on a whim. I was in Wal-Mart one day and was like 'Wow, that's a pretty fish, I'm going to buy a fish today!'
He's still kickin after a year or so, even with the cat messing with him.

Buying a car

Never got the chance. I have a van with a 'I'm proud of my Cub Scout' sticker on it that was my mother's. It has a TV, and I'd say it's pretty nice considering what shit I put it through. :cheese:

Grocery shopping

I buy very few things. If I have a craving for something, regardless of price, I must buy it, but I probably won't want it again for a year or so.

Buying a pair of shoes
Old Navy Flip Flops
Asics Running Shoes
A few dress shoes, and my Rocket Dogs.

Whenever those wear out, I buy new ones, or anything else that I know I will wear out pretty fast.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Whatever you set out to find you lose.
Read Shakespeare.

H

Hate

Choosing a career
Any job where I can be in the position to help people... Also, I ask myself... Am I going to pass the background check?

Falling in love with someone
Never been in love... not sure if I could experience that to be honest.

Choosing a pet
definitely a dog... ideal dog would be an Alaskan Malamute... or a wolf hybrid, that would be cool too... Don't know how I necessarily process this decision, but I just know what I like.

Buying a car
Chosen by what I can afford... not really into big cars or cars that are too flashy. I just like something that is decently aesthetically appealing and gets good gas mileage.

Grocery shopping
Usually chosen by what I can afford also... I eat fairly healthy so most of my choices in this department are based on health over taste.

Buying a pair of shoes
First thing that draws me in is appearance and then comfort... But I will choose comfortable shoes over ones that are nicer looking but less comfortable.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Choosing a career

I don't "choose" a career I "create" my career. I am sorry but constraining me to the parameters of a jobs scheduled work dates and vacation periods simultaneously surrendering my college degree to my BOSS so that he can make more money off me that I'm making off myself - does not jive.

I run my own business and I wake up every morning with a smile on my face. The long hours I put into my business as an entrepreneur is not "hard effort" but a pleasure and reward. I'm the CEO of Alternative Smoking Technologies LLC, a company I founded a year ago retailing electronic cigarettes and their related counterparts online. You can check out thevapormall.com to get an impression of what I do.

For myself love is a complicated subject I often dismiss as irrelevant, probably due to the lack of my understanding of my personal emotions. As far as love goes, I can only see myself in love in a serious committed relationship. All else can be classified under "obsessive temporary attractions" aka one night stands.

Choosing a pet

No pets, please! Sorry

Buying a car

When I was young, I happily drove and old clunker - I cared more about transportation. As my life's goals became fulfilled, luxury cars reflected my success thereof.

Grocery shopping

Diet foods.

Buying a pair of shoes

Puma, Diesel, and Italian formal - ONLY!

- Thanks for letting me share!