• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Valuable research you could contribute to

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Seems like since we have a community where we discuss type we would be well placed to produce something of value using the resources we possess. Namely, a large number of members. We could be producing various organized surveys that could reveal commonalities among types and relationships with other personal characteristics:

1. For example, collect height and weight and gender data from members and see if there is any relationship between type and height and weight.
2. Collect data on the prevalence of corrective vision and type. (I have a theory that seriously myopic individuals are more likely to be introverted.)
3. Collect data on birth order and type.
4. Collect data on childhood exposure to alcoholism and type.

Etc.

We could proceed very easily with any of these topics and we could place them in a specially moderated forum. Do you have any ideas?

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Don't tempt me.

I'm nearly done with the other one I'm working on. :doh:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems like since we have a community where we discuss type we would be well placed to produce something of value using the resources we possess. Namely, a large number of members. We could be producing various organized surveys that could reveal commonalities among types and relationships with other personal characteristics:

An excellent idea of virtue.

2. Collect data on the prevalence of corrective vision and type. (I have a theory that seriously myopic individuals are more likely to be introverted.)

Irregardless of type, there is existing evidence that the degree to which a society is industrialized/educated the incidence of myopia increases. As an extreme example to the other pole's direction, there is almost ZERO incidence of myopia in the Innuit population. Their dinner is on the horizon, therefore they keep their focus near and far from early childhood into adulthood. Western societies are composed of people who must buy their dinner at a supermarket, which costs money, which is easier to come by the better you are educated, which requires reading alot of books from a young age, which forces your eyes to focus at arm's length or less, which fosters development of myopia.

And all these years I thought I was nearsighted due to excessive masturbation when younger... :doh:

3. Collect data on birth order and type.

My first guess:

First Born = Extrovert

Middle Children = Introverts and Extroverts (Middle children are often peacemakers)

Youngest Child = Extrovert (Life of the party, bringer of good times, all the world is a stage...) :whistling:

4. Collect data on childhood exposure to alcoholism and type.

My guess, since alcoholics can be wrathful, greater chance of introversion, conflict avoidance issues, lack of communication issues, lack of assertiveness, etc. from kids with extreme and abusive alcoholic parent(s).

We could proceed very easily with any of these topics and we could place them in a specially moderated forum. Do you have any ideas?

Yes.

Is it not necessary for the case mix of our members, or at least those that participate in these clinical research trials, be representative of the population whose traits the researchers would be trying to estimate/forecast/etc?

This is necessary for setting actuarially sound rates in the health care industry, your base population must be representative of the population that you are calculating rates for, or else the risk associated with insuring the target population is inaccurate.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I have a theory that seriously myopic individuals are more likely to be introverted.
I've thought similarly. There's a certain convenient link between nearsightedness and a tight personal bubble.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My first guess:

First Born = Extrovert

Middle Children = Introverts and Extroverts (Middle children are often peacemakers)

Youngest Child = Extrovert (Life of the party, bringer of good times, all the world is a stage...) :whistling:
From what I understand, first borns tend to be less outgoing where the younger ones are more sociable.

Its certainly the case in my family. I'm a first born and a somewhat shy and retiring introvert (INFP) and my younger sister is more of a confident, outgoing party girl (Probably a ESFJ).

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
My first guess:

First Born = Extrovert

Regardless of type, I think younger children may get to develop in a more "what I want I want it now" atmosphere whereas older ones have to learn how to share, compromise and adapt. It could modify the younger one's behaviour to a certain direction (more ego-centric and therefore seemingly more comfortable completing their own will and speaking it out loud) and probably to a less to be bothered with the spotlight attitude.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
My first guess:

First Born = Extrovert

That's how it is with my kids, and the second 2 actually fit aswell when you think about the fact that the middle child often gets overlooked (I) and the youngest gets showered with more babyish affection for alot longer. (E)

I'm not so sure about the eldest, I can see E or I developing, because usually the eldest has a slight pressure to be a better role model and loses their place as a child pretty quickly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Regardless of type, I think younger children may get to develop in a more "what I want I want it now" atmosphere whereas older ones have to learn how to share, compromise and adapt. It could modify the younger one's behaviour to a certain direction (more ego-centric and therefore seemingly more comfortable completing their own will and speaking it out loud) and probably to a less to be bothered with the spotlight attitude.

^^ I see this in my children as well as myself and my brother to varying degrees.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
So what precisely is going on here? Is it intended that everyone chirp out answers to these ostensible questions, or is this a call for someone to chug together an organizational template for said chirping?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think everyone is shouting out random answers to these questions and someone is supposed to come along and volunteer to organize it.

P

Phantonym

This could be taken the other way round as well. The older ones may become more resentful and even more egocentric because their needs may be overlooked.

If the older one is always set as an example to the younger one, the pressure to perform might be too much.

We could proceed very easily with any of these topics and we could place them in a specially moderated forum.

Sky is the limit here (no pun intended) when it comes to different data. You could definitely make a forum especially for different kinds of questionnaires (serious ones; however, the funny ones may give even more information) where people can answer them. And anybody who's interested could analyze them or whatever turns them on. There are all kinds of polls and questionnaires here already but they're scattered all across the TypoC.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
This could be taken the other way round as well. The older ones may become more resentful and even more egocentric because their needs may be overlooked.

If the older one is always set as an example to the younger one, the pressure to perform might be too much.

Maybe they don't necessarily have to cancel each other out? :) I didn't mean "more" in comparison with the older sibling, but in general.

Very true.

P

Phantonym

Maybe they don't necessarily have to cancel each other out? :) I didn't mean "more" in comparison with the older sibling, but in general.

:laugh: Seeking harmony here. All siblings are egocentrical but they love each other anyway.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Synarch dear, I'm a step ahead of you :) The thing in my link has been doing just that, except I can't find a decent way to allow others to view the data. I can mine the data for information, but getting it out there in a meaningful way is proving difficult to keep up with. I get new entries every day... there are probably close to 150-200 submissions so far. The question is... what to do with it all?

I'd like to make a more in-depth questionnaire... there have been some really good recommendations on the submissions, but again, why collect all the data if I can't share it with anyone?