• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Glass Hold reveals personality

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
'Glass hold' reveals personality

Which type are you?

The way you hold your glass can reveal much more than you might realise, a psychologist has warned.

Dr Glenn Wilson, a consultant psychologist, observed the body language of 500 drinkers and divided them into eight personality types.

These were the flirt, the gossip, fun lover, wallflower, the ice-queen, the playboy, Jack-the-lad and browbeater.

Dr Wilson, who carried out the work for the Walkabout bar chain, said glass hold "reflected the person you are".

The types of drinker are:

THE FLIRT
This is usually a woman, who holds her glass with dainty, splayed fingers and uses it in a provocative way.

She may position it over her cleavage so as to draw attention to her attributes or peer over the rim to make eye contact when taking a sip - and she may "tease" the rim of the glass with her finger, perhaps dipping it into the drink and sucking it dry.

THE GOSSIP
Again, usually a woman who clusters together with her friends. She may be talking about other people, and can be critical. She holds a wine glass by the bowl and uses it to gesticulate and make points in conversation.

She is inclined to lean over her drink, in towards others so as to speak confidentially. This person already has a close-knit social group with little inclination to extend it, therefore advances from outsiders are not usually welcome.

THE FUN-LOVER
This type of drinker could be a man or a woman. They tend to be sociable and convivial and "like a laugh".

They take short swigs from bottled drinks so they don't miss out on chipping in with the conversation.

The bottle is held loosely at its shoulder for ease. This type of person is always happy to extend their social circle. The best way to approach them therefore is to leap directly into light, good-humoured conversation and make them laugh.

THE WALLFLOWER
Usually a shy, submissive person who holds the glass protectively, not letting go, as though afraid somebody will take it away.

Palms are kept hidden and the glass is used as a social crutch - the drink is never quite finished, with a mouthful left in case of emergency. The drink is small - maybe half a pint of lager for a man.

It may be drunk through a straw, which is fidgeted with, and used to stir the drink between sips.

The style and pace of drinking is an echo of those around them - very little is initiated.

This individual needs to be approached in a gentle, sensitive way, with perhaps a few understated compliments to build self-confidence, but may eventually warm to overtures.

THE ICE-QUEEN
This is a mainly female type whose natural style is cold and defensive.

She drinks from a wine glass, or a short glass, which is held firmly in a barrier position across the body so as to deter intimate approaches.

It is usually a waste of time approaching this woman; she may be ready with a castrating put-down.

THE PLAYBOY
This man is active and self-confident; a "Don Juan"-type seducer.

He uses his, usually long, glass or bottle as a phallic prop, playing with it suggestively. He is inclined to be possessive, and can be tactile with his female companions.

THE JACK-THE-LAD
This "peacock" is conscious of his image and will drink a bottled beer, or cider.

He is inclined to be confident and arrogant, and can be territorial in his gestures, spreading himself over as much space as possible, for example, pushing the glass well away from himself and leaning back in his chair.

If he is drinking with friends, he would be unlikely to welcome approaches from outside the group, unless sycophantic and ego-enhancing.

THE BROWBEATER
Again usually male, he prefers large glasses, or bottles, which he uses as symbolic weapons, firmly grasped, and gesticulating in a threatening, "in the face" kind of way.

Something of a know-it-all, he can come across as slightly hostile, even if only through verbal argument, or jokes targeted at others. He should be approached with great care, or not at all.

'An unconscious thing'

Dr. Wilson said: "The simple act of holding a drink displays a lot more about us than we realise - or might want to divulge.

"When you're in a crowded bar, often all you have to go on is body language.

"To a large extent, it's an unconscious thing and just reflects the person you are and the type of social relationships you have."

But he warned: "The next time you're in a bar, it might be worth thinking about what you're saying to the people around you, just by the way you're holding your glass."

Original article: BBC NEWS | Health | 'Glass hold' reveals personality

So, what do you think?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I saw this the other day. I identified most with Ice Queen, maybe a little bit of Wallflower.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I actually should be the Fun Lover, but apparently I'm an Ice Queen!!! :smile:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fun lover /wall flower

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't drink often enough to know, so.. "The Nerd"?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The Fun Lover and the Playboy.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fun lover, maybe a little bit of Jack the Lad

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mostly this

THE FUN-LOVER
This type of drinker could be a man or a woman. They tend to be sociable and convivial and "like a laugh".

They take short swigs from bottled drinks so they don't miss out on chipping in with the conversation.

The bottle is held loosely at its shoulder for ease. This type of person is always happy to extend their social circle. The best way to approach them therefore is to leap directly into light, good-humoured conversation and make them laugh.

and a lil this...
THE FLIRT
This is usually a woman, who holds her glass with dainty, splayed fingers

G

garbage

That picture of Jack-the-Lad is pretty much how I always sit, but the description is all wrong. Taking up space doesn't stem from terrirorialism or arrogance.. I just like to relax and kick back :(

stupid typology systems and their stereotypes :steam:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think it's bullshit. I hold my glass in whatever way is the most convenient at the time. Does that mean I have multiple personalities?:shock:

V

violaine

Oh... no mention of the school of pinky-finger-held-aloft? A glaring omission.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mostly Wallflower, but I can vary significantly.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
That picture of Jack-the-Lad is pretty much how I always sit, but the description is all wrong. Taking up space doesn't stem from terrirorialism or arrogance.. I just like to relax and kick back :(

stupid typology systems and their stereotypes :steam:

Ditto. I don't seem to take up much space. I just kick back and I'll be conscious about other's space also.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This seems like BS, but I identify most closely with Ice Queen and sometimes Wallflower. Though I don't need to be approached with "understated compliments" to build my confidence.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fun Lover and Flirt, though if I'm in a particularly awkward situation or feeling horribly depressed I could temporarily lean Wallflower.

LucrativeSid

All the types seem pretty extreme. I guess I'd be a mix between Jack-The-Lad and The Fun-Lover.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I read this. None of those even vaguely matches how I hold a drink.

I tend to hold a glass as if I were both gingerly and carelessly holding an umbrella, and I were eager to put my weight on it.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Seems like BS to me as well. Wallflower/gossip/jack-the lad...I do them all:
except ice-queen, browbeater and playboy.