User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Default Erratic "Straight" Behavior

I would like to make the disclaimer that I make no propaganda against homosexuals with this thread. I only seek to understand why some people would do as explained in the following:

Some straight acquaintances I personally know enjoy "mooning" one another so much so that they did it for an hour while camping in the middle of nowhere. Keep in mind these are all males. I may understand the humor in a single mooning with clever timing, but for an entire hour? They find humor in acting like such towards one another all the time. They have sent pictures of their own genitalia to one another to incite a laugh. I fear one day the "playful bickering" will escalate up to anal sex, with the recipient shouting, "oh man, you got me good!"

I inquired about it once. One of them explained, "Well, if you were comfortable with your sexuality you wouldn't mind."

I then responded, "I am comfortable, which is why I don't feel the need to verify/validate like you do."

Where does this come from? Why do (seemingly) straight males act this way towards one another?
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Psychologically, it could just be the breaking of social taboo in ritualized manner that stimulates the behavior.

If one wants to get into evolutionary style behavior, aren't some monkey species prone to displaying genitalia as part of social games? Maybe it's just innate.

^^ Ne style speculations, left for others to confirm or deny...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

To be honest.

I think no one is 100% straight (or a 100% homosexual for that matter).

It's a conscious choice one makes his/her preference. When that choice is made and secured. It doesn't really matter what you do anymore.

Mooning other guys for long periods of time as a straight guy could very well be just for sake of humor. Or mockery. I don't know, it might differ from person to person. But I don't think it's because they need to solidify their sexuality. Since that's a choice they make.

I consider myself straight for relationships and overall sexuality. I'm particularly drawn to women. But I know from experience I am not incapable of enjoying sexuality with other guys, which makes me BI. The main thought process that governs this is what I want from it in the end. Which turns out to be girls, so I'm straight with a BI edge.

But for years I believed to be 100% straight. Until I just opened my mind to the possibility and started to ponder about it.

Now, if you're taught to be repulsed by homosexuality in your own mind or by others. You'll no doubt believe you are 100% straight and will likely not change your mind. Essentially making you straight. But believe you me, that should you open up for it, you totally got gay potential.

I think everyone does.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Psychologically, it could just be the breaking of social taboo in ritualized manner that stimulates the behavior.

If one wants to get into evolutionary style behavior, aren't some monkey species prone to displaying genitalia as part of social games? Maybe it's just innate.

^^ Ne style speculations, left for others to confirm or deny...
    So their actions reflect either an inner desire for social rebellion or to better achieve harmony within society? An "id vs super-ego," then?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Mooning other guys for long periods of time as a straight guy could very well be just for sake of humor. Or mockery. I don't know, it might differ from person to person. But I don't think it's because they need to solidify their sexuality. Since that's a choice they make.
    So what I'm construing as unusual behavior is just a digression in humor?

To bond over how heterosexual they are, I guess. Ever watch Jackass? (This behavior to the extreme.)
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Chameleon View Post
    So what I'm construing as unusual behavior is just a digression in humor?
    Well, it may depend on the individual..

The only reason I would do such a thing is for the sake of (lame) humor though. And most likely boozed up a bit as well. :P

MBTI
    yupp

To be honest.

I think no one is 100% straight (or a 100% homosexual for that matter).

It's a conscious choice one makes his/her preference. When that choice is made and secured. It doesn't really matter what you do anymore.

I consider myself straight for relationships and overall sexuality. I'm particularly drawn to women. But I know from experience I am not incapable of enjoying sexuality with other guys, which makes me BI. The main thought process that governs this is what I want from it in the end. Which turns out to be girls, so I'm straight with a BI edge.

But for years I believed to be 100% straight. Until I just opened my mind to the possibility and started to ponder about it.

Now, if you're taught to be repulsed by homosexuality in your own mind or by others. You'll no doubt believe you are 100% straight and will likely not change your mind. Essentially making you straight. But believe you me, that should you open up for it, you totally got gay potential.

I think everyone does.
    to be honest I don't think sexual preference is a choice. I think I'd make a better lesbian then a straight chick, honestly. I suck at being straight, yet I'm attracted to men, and I could never be with another woman long term, I could do flings no problem.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    to be honest I don't think sexual preference is a choice. I think I'd make a better lesbian then a straight chick, honestly. I suck at being straight, yet I'm attracted to men, and I could never be with another woman long term, I could do flings no problem.
    Well, a it's not the kind of choice one easily changes. What I'm saying is that everyone has the potential to be physically attracted to either sex. For many different reasons. But ultimatly, our choice on how we wish to spend the rest of our lives. What our expectations are of a relationship, and such. Is what defines our sexuality.

So, it's not as much a choice as in 'I want to be this or I want to be that.'. But rather a huge train of thought about all aspects of what is important to us in a relationship that defines our eventual preference.

So, sort of a choice. If you understand my point.

your resident asshole

Well, a it's not the kind of choice one easily changes. What I'm saying is that everyone has the potential to be physically attracted to either sex. For many different reasons. But ultimatly, our choice on how we wish to spend the rest of our lives. What our expectations are of a relationship, and such. Is what defines our sexuality.

So, it's not as much a choice as in 'I want to be this or I want to be that.'. But rather a huge train of thought about all aspects of what is important to us in a relationship that defines our eventual preference.

So, sort of a choice. If you understand my point.
    I do not believe it's a choice. I believe that we are all born the way we are. Because really, I don't think that my brother ever wanted to be yelled at and told he's going to burn in hell by our priest and I don't think he ever wanted to be hated by our father. It's who he is. He has tried to date girls before, but he just doesn't care for them. It's who he is and he cannot change who he is attracted to.

Oh, and going back to the OP. Maybe that's their idea of humor. Genitalia and whatnot.