User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 46

  1. #31
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    There are other good reasons, it gives you something to do with your hands while talking to someone, it's a great reason to step outside.
    i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
    he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I actually postponed smoking for several years because I looked stupid trying to inhale, so I was unwilling to smoke in public.
    i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.

  2. #32
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  3. #33
    Senior Member velocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    epic
    Posts
    477

    Default

    have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    233

    Default

    It's a phallic symbol.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
    It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.
    !!!

    I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  6. #36
    Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
    It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.
    Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom. It may be the physiological response that causes their expression to follow suit, or they could be smoking to escape some stressor. Whatever the reason may be, perhaps it's the wonderment and aloofness that smokers portray which makes you imagine yourself doing the same.

    *Edit:
    Oops. Disregard my post. I thought you meant while you imagine yourself daydream, you imagine yourself smoking. I don't really know why anyone would imagine themselves daydreaming, but I suppose it is a rather interesting concept.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
    he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.



    i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.
    The grounding thing makes sense to me. Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
    Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.

    Also when I am sitting there in my daydreams I am smoking, always holding it in my hands, flicking off the ash, making smoke action with it.

    So I guess you guys are on the right track, it has something to do with being grounded and sensation.

    Quote Originally Posted by marmandahalf View Post
    It's a phallic symbol.
    You'd think I'd be chomping on a cucumber if it was a phallic symbol.

    Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams
    I've thought of swapping it for a lollipop.

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    !!!

    I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.
    I sometimes do it on purpose now, when I want a break.

  8. #38
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I sometimes do it on purpose now, when I want a break.
    Hahaha "I'm just headin out for a smoke..." *eyes glaze over*
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  9. #39
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Chameleon View Post
    Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom.
    i disagree. that is sometimes the case, but people also actively engage others while smoking.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
    Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.
    i don't know, that is a mystery to me. i can't see why it would specifically be related to making something.
    if it makes you feel grounded, maybe smoking while creating something puts you more in touch with whatever you are working on. makes you feel more closely connected to what you are creating? i don't know, i am pulling things out of my @$$.

    smoking is a major stress reliever for some people, but i find it hilarious that you relieve stress by imagining you are smoking! that is incredibly funny to me!

  10. #40
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Hahaha "I'm just headin out for a smoke..." *eyes glaze over*
    hahaha! that is an awesome visual image! hilarious!

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Am I Overly Confident in my Typing?
    By five sounds in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
  2. I'm not being unreasonable, in my anger am I?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
  3. [INFJ] INFJ idealism...why does it always feel like I'm settling in a relationship?
    By hybrid_rainbow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO