User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    There are other good reasons, it gives you something to do with your hands while talking to someone, it's a great reason to step outside.
    i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
    he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I actually postponed smoking for several years because I looked stupid trying to inhale, so I was unwilling to smoke in public.
    i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    epic

have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams

It's a phallic symbol.

I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
    It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.
    !!!

I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
    It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.
    Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom. It may be the physiological response that causes their expression to follow suit, or they could be smoking to escape some stressor. Whatever the reason may be, perhaps it's the wonderment and aloofness that smokers portray which makes you imagine yourself doing the same.

*Edit:
    Oops. Disregard my post. I thought you meant while you imagine yourself daydream, you imagine yourself smoking. I don't really know why anyone would imagine themselves daydreaming, but I suppose it is a rather interesting concept.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
    he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.

i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.
    The grounding thing makes sense to me. Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
    Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.

Also when I am sitting there in my daydreams I am smoking, always holding it in my hands, flicking off the ash, making smoke action with it.

So I guess you guys are on the right track, it has something to do with being grounded and sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by marmandahalf View Post
    It's a phallic symbol.
    You'd think I'd be chomping on a cucumber if it was a phallic symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams
    I've thought of swapping it for a lollipop.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    !!!

I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.
    I sometimes do it on purpose now, when I want a break.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I sometimes do it on purpose now, when I want a break.
    Hahaha "I'm just headin out for a smoke..." *eyes glaze over*
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Chameleon View Post
    Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom.
    i disagree. that is sometimes the case, but people also actively engage others while smoking.

Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
    Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.
    i don't know, that is a mystery to me. i can't see why it would specifically be related to making something.
    if it makes you feel grounded, maybe smoking while creating something puts you more in touch with whatever you are working on. makes you feel more closely connected to what you are creating? i don't know, i am pulling things out of my @$$.

smoking is a major stress reliever for some people, but i find it hilarious that you relieve stress by imagining you are smoking! that is incredibly funny to me!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Hahaha "I'm just headin out for a smoke..." *eyes glaze over*
    hahaha! that is an awesome visual image! hilarious!