• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Argh! I broke my head taking a couple of those IQ tests on Intelligence Tests that are linked to earlier in the thread. Although I was quite satisfied with the group I was placed in, it took me literally several minutes to figure out the average of my scores. That's certainly not something to do when you're so tired that you need an instruction manual for the remote control. :doh:

Anyway, just chiming in as a fellow 'bad at math' comrade. I love the satisfaction of doing something mathematically 'beautiful' (like calculus and integrals) but mostly when it involves a computer program, so I won't screw it up beyond recognition. Or, alternatively, when the answers are in the back of the book and I don't have to explain the complicated inner working 'logic' of how I ended up at the result ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am still not convinced that N's necessarily have higher IQs than S's.

Intuitives are not more intelligent than Sensors, but they are more intellectual and cerebral. (Ni, in particular, is a function that seeks to understand all aspects of whatever interests them) Intellectuality is merely a subset of intelligence, not the defining trait.

It's no surprise that the Sensors who frequent these boards are often borderline Intuitives.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Bah, I'm feeling ornery today, so I'll make another assertion just to keep things going!

Ns are simply a subset of high IQ Ss that have enough issues that they can be seperated out into their own dysfunctional group. It's just too bad that the disfunctions are all related to being higher IQ, meaning that the top 33% or so of the IQ world ends up being split into function high-IQ Ss and marginally functional Ns.

HAH!

(This may or may not be factual. Do not quote this message. Copyright 2007 Angsty Irritated PT Inc.)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you say that Ns are a subset of high IQ [people], pt, are you saying that all Ns are high IQ, or are you just generalizing that they are more likely to belong to that group?

Cause if it's the former, well, I know more than one N who is not exactly bright...whether in academic terms, common-sense terms, ability to learn things, whatever. You can think in an abstract, unrealistic manner and still not be able to grasp simple concepts.

Though to be fair, continuing with my anecdotal evidence, the smartest (IQ-wise) people I know are all Ns (I do know some smart Ss as well, they just don't awe me with their insights). It's just that there are some dumb Ns floating around as well, in my experience.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that though...I'm just being argumentative for no good reason.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
When you say that Ns are a subset of high IQ [people], pt, are you saying that all Ns are high IQ, or are you just generalizing that they are more likely to belong to that group?

Cause if it's the former, well, I know more than one N who is not exactly bright...whether in academic terms, common-sense terms, ability to learn things, whatever. You can think in an abstract, unrealistic manner and still not be able to grasp simple concepts.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that though...I'm just being argumentative for no good reason.

Me too! (This is more fun than being serious :D )

I did mean that Ns are a subset of high IQ Ss. You can look at it sort of this way - Ns have a SD of about 10 with a mean at 110. Ss have a SD of slightly over 15 with a mean at 100. (Numbers are completely fake and may not reflect reality... for illustration purposes only!).

For example, somewhere below 90 IQ, Ss make up 85% of the population! However, Ss also make up of 50% of the 110-160 IQ group!

And of course, IQ can easily not translate too much in RL, giving the impression of a pretty moronic person :D

(Hence my previous saying - If someone is an S, they are likely to have a lower IQ than a N. However, if someone is smart, they are as likely to be a S as an N!)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And of course, IQ can easily not translate too much in RL, giving the impression of a pretty moronic person :D

(Hence my previous saying - If someone is an S, they are likely to have a lower IQ than a N. However, if someone is smart, they are as likely to be a S as an N!)
I agree with saying that an S is likely to have a lower IQ than an N, mostly because the lowest IQ people would be very likely to be S, which will of course skew the average dramatically, if there's a large enough number of low IQ people. And on the other end, it's plausible (likely?) that most genius-level IQs are Ns. I think it's pretty unrealistic to say that every N has a high IQ though, without exception. Unless you can back that up with data, that is. :D

Even if IQ can easily not translate well in RL in general, isn't it directly correlated with your ease of learning concepts? You would not believe how many times I've had to beat some N friends over the head with something until they finally understood it. And I'm hardly a genius.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it's pretty unrealistic to say that every N has a high IQ though, without exception. Unless you can back that up with data, that is. :D

Well, it's not a "Every" kind of situation, just distribution. There are still stupid Ns out there. There are just about 6 times more stupid Ss (at the same level) :D When I say are a subset of high IQ, I don't mean it literally, even in jest... they are just, on average, smarter.

That part is supported by data - meaning that they are heavily distributed towards the higher end of the IQs and notably absent from the lower end of IQ.

Even if IQ can easily not translate well in RL in general, isn't it directly correlated with your ease of learning concepts?

Yup, but contrary to popular belief, concepts has limited value in RL :D Even a genius can be seriously... uhh... out of touch with reality. For the average person in the average job, social skills and such play an important role. IQ is still critical - a very strong indicator - but unless you are at the extremes, you aren't so needed that they'll put up with you just for your slightly above average IQ.

You would not believe how many times I've had to beat some N friends over the head with something until they finally understood it. And I'm hardly a genius.

Yesssss... That's kind of the joke I'm making. Ss that have high IQ seem... balanced. High IQ Ns (which is most of them!) seem... less balanced, heh.

(Dammit, my time is up and I didn't get a single person to yell at me yet. GRAH.)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Me too! (This is more fun than being serious :D )

I did mean that Ns are a subset of high IQ Ss. You can look at it sort of this way - Ns have a SD of about 10 with a mean at 110. Ss have a SD of slightly over 15 with a mean at 100. (Numbers are completely fake and may not reflect reality... for illustration purposes only!).

For example, somewhere below 90 IQ, Ss make up 85% of the population! However, Ss also make up of 50% of the 110-160 IQ group!

I actually think IQ is most meaningful when comparing people of the same type. A lot of people have this impression that if you have a 160+ IQ then you are going to be the next Einstein. No I think to be like Einstein you need a really high IQ and also need to be an INTP. (And also need an interest toward science on top of that.) Bill Clinton is supposed to have around a 170 IQ, but he isn't a scientist. Instead he became president.

On the other hand I know this older gentleman at my church who I believe is INFP, but I wouldn't be surprised to find his IQ below 100 (maybe below 90). I know he was held back a grade when he was young, and he doesn't seem to be very quick mentally (even for his age he seems a bit slow). On the other hand he has the widest array of skills that I've seen in a person: acting, singing, poetry, plays several instruments, carpentry, truck driving, cooking, etc.... He's quite good at all of these things and probably has several other skills that I haven't seen yet. He has that wide skillset that I usually find in people with strong Ne. (Currently he is writing a book.) I don't think he has a high IQ, in fact I think it's probably below average, but he does the type of things that N's do. Also his personality fits the INFP description.

If you want to compare the quality of his talents, then it is probably best to compare him to other INFP's. If you compare him to other types then you will find that he is quite ahead high IQ individuals in some resects and far behind them in others. And also who of us isn't like that? Couldn't we all find someone with a higher IQ that we still dominate in certain skills? And also there are people with lower IQ's than us that will dominate us in other skills.

That is even before you add the idea of multiple intelligences into the mix. Then you get a wide variety even within the same type.... :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
growing up people thought I was going to be the next einstein. I'm not no way my IQ is in the 110 range. Which is average, so I'm just going to be another person in the world. Not great, average, and I'm content, I don't see the point in being something I'm not.

I really don't think IQs play much in types. My brother an ESTP has a higher IQ then myself.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In many ways, Intuitives are also much more practical than Sensors.

I imagine that it's a Sensor, and particularly an SF, who buys lots of things just because they look appealing to the senses. The NT, by contrast, has the greatest appreciation for functionality.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
growing up people thought I was going to be the next einstein. I'm not no way my IQ is in the 110 range. Which is average, so I'm just going to be another person in the world. Not great, average, and I'm content, I don't see the point in being something I'm not.

Just FWIW, 110 is significantly above average (better than ~75% of the population). You'll have a notable advantage in this arena.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Just FWIW, 110 is significantly above average (better than ~75% of the population). You'll have a notable advantage in this arena.

Then why is it here whenever we have a post your IQ threads all these people post with 120-130 IQs? Maybe everyone here is a genius, but, call me cynical, but really? I mean really?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Then why is it here whenever we have a post your IQ threads all these people post with 120-130 IQs?

Bad tests, people lie, selective sampling :D

Every IQ test is normalized around 100 - that is the average.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've had IQ tests done since I was old enough to have them done because of some learning disability thing. So I think it's 110 it's been a few years since I looked at my score. I could be off. I know it's higher then 100.

Doesn't mean I know what the scores mean, it was more so I could keep getting an IEP. I didn't like the IEP I felt singled out so I would never use it.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Bad tests, people lie, selective sampling :D

Every IQ test is normalized around 100 - that is the average.
And I doubt that mine is too high above average, though I don't have any IQ score to refer to.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've had IQ tests done since I was old enough to have them done because of some learning disability thing. So I think it's 110 it's been a few years since I looked at my score. I could be off. I know it's higher then 100.

Doesn't mean I know what the scores mean, it was more so I could keep getting an IEP. I didn't like the IEP I felt singled out so I would never use it.

Most likely for a selective disability like dsylexia rather than "learning" limitations then :D All it says is that you can answer problems better than 75% of the population.

I wouldn't worry about it. You are at the upper end of the "normal" band - you won't have any issues and will have some advantages with that score (in theory, anyway). In many ways, this range is better than having a high IQ - a lot of strange issues happen at the higher levels of IQ.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Then why is it here whenever we have a post your IQ threads all these people post with 120-130 IQs? Maybe everyone here is a genius, but, call me cynical, but really? I mean really?

These boards attract certain people. This board would probably attract well above average intelligent individuals, as it is heavily theoretical. Also, IQ is higher among younger people, and there are probably not many 60+ year olds on this board. Ant lastly, people with high IQs will more likely to feel like posting their IQs in such a thread.

120+ is the top 10 %, so it’s not exactly genius level …

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok, fine. But I still have my doubts. I mean everyone wants to appear better than they are. How do you know I didn't lie, about my score? and it's really 90?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My IQ is 121. I always thought 120 was average, and anything below 100 was mental disability. How does it work, anyway?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, fine. But I still have my doubts. I mean everyone wants to appear better than they are. How do you know I didn't lie, about my score? and it's really 90?

It's just on trust. None of us would really know if someone were lying or not. :)

I posted mine in another thread, but due to where you're going with your comments, I don't want to post it again! :shock:

And I hardly equate 120's-130's to genius-- in fact, that just makes me laugh, because I feel like a total moron in certain areas of life. :) For me personally, the only reason I posted my number in another thread was because it was kind of an -A-HA moment - in that it explained why I've had so many social issues growing up. I actually think it can be rather an impediment for real-world stuff, so count yourself lucky!! :)