• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I assume that serial killers are more likely N, because most are motivated by fantasies.

Being intuitive does not imply delusion. Introversion might imply it weakly, although I hesitate to paint introverts with that brush. Serial killers are a special case, by any measure.
Having a fantasy and being motivated to violence by it are entirely different.

Killer!:devil:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Independent of IQ, I would imagine that N's give the impression of higher intelligence due to a few factors:

1) Intuitives are usually interested in and conversant on many topics.

2) the ability of intuitives to find connections is often startling and impressive to others. If you are considered someone whose opinion is sought out because of this, you will seem quite intelligent to others, regardless of math ability.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I got a pretty low IQ, god invested in another part of my body :D

B

beyondaurora

A few days ago I found my IQ score from 1994 (I was 11). I was tested at school for the GATE program (Gifted and Talented Education). Score was 134, sd15.

A few days ago, I took a free online test here and got 133. They claim an sd of 14.889 and a result distribution as follows:

Intelligence
Interval-------Cognitive Designation

40 - 54-------Severely challenged (Less than 1% of test takers)
55 - 69-------Challenged (2.3% of test takers)
70 - 84-------Below average
85 - 114------Average (68% of test takers)
115 - 129-----Above average
130 - 144-----Gifted (2.3% of test takers)
145 - 159-----Genius (Less than 1% of test takers)
160 - 175-----Extraordinary genius

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why do you say you are non-gifted also? If your main goal in life is to learn, learning is what you will do. It doesn't need to be quantum field theory or anything. Having the will to learn is worth a lot.

I am non-gifted by this definition, nothing more.

And I WOULD LOVE to learn quantum field theory, and it annoys me that part of what is holding me back from that is my inability to solve some silly puzzles fast enough.

I would think you are bright.
I don't think IQ is important. My personal experience is a prime example.
To learn, well, what higher princple is there?

Why isn't it important at all? In what way does your personal experience tell this?

I think anyone can have a high IQ.

With today's technology? Or eventually?

If it is possible today, can you teach me?

I would definitely agree here. I'm borderline T/F and kind of suck at both. Not greatly empathic and not brilliantly inventive either. And I do love learning and developing new systems of seeing the world - if only I was smarter, I could know and understand SO much more by now.

Yes, that was pretty much what I was trying to say before, or at least part of it.

Intuition also helps. In high school, we had to read Plato and I think it was he who said that there are two ways of arriving at the truth: Logical reasoning and intuition. When you intuit a truth, you can work your way backwards with reason to see if it makes sense. It's like the difference between hacking your way through untouched jungle toward an unseen destination, and following a rough but pre-existing path back from your endpoint to your starting point to see if the endpoint matches the destination you had in mind. For those of us who aren't gifted explorers, the latter is the best option.

I am not intuitive in that sense of the word, so I guess I'm out of luck.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A few days ago I found my IQ score from 1994 (I was 11). I was tested at school for the GATE program (Gifted and Talented Education). Score was 134, sd15.

A few days ago, I took a free online test here and got 133. They claim an sd of 14.889 and a result distribution as follows:

Intelligence
Interval-------Cognitive Designation

I got 138 on that online test, which is much higher than what I was professionally tested at. It's odd that it is so close to your real score for you.

How was GATE for you? I hear they have excellent field trips ;)

B

beyondaurora

I got 138 on that online test, which is much higher than what I was professionally tested at. It's odd that it is so close to your real score for you.

How was GATE for you? I hear they have excellent field trips ;)

Heh. Well, I guess I've dumbed down a bit with age LOL. Actually, I do feel more fuzzy in general, but I'm on some pretty heavy medications.

About GATE...

It's actually a painful memory...I didn't get in. Although my IQ was more than high enough, I had to score above a certain number on BOTH the verbal and mathematics (reasoning?) portions, but...I missed 1 (yes 1) too many questions on the mathematics portion (although I had a substantial cushion on my verbal score), so I was rejected. My teacher who recommended me for the program was outraged and fought their decision to no avail.

Their criteria is rather disturbing, in my opinion; "giftedness" comes in many forms other than mathematical and verbal (ex., artistic, musical), and a person "gifted" in one and not the other should not be disqualified from the program. Many of my friends barely made it on both scales but of course were accepted into the program.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally have an IQ of 141 if anyone cares. :tongue:

lane777

nevermore
Someone wrote on some forum that INxxs are the most intelligent types. I don't know if their source of information was reliable but I can believe it.

In the post that I'm referring to, INxxs were listed in the following order of intelligence:

1. INTJ
2. INTP
3. INFP
4. INFJ

I don't think that INFPs are typically lousy at math. I and my INFP sister have both been good at math, although other things have interested us more. Basically at school I was good at everything that involved theory and was of interest to me: languages, math, and theory subjects. My math skills were more unreliable, though, than my other theoretical skills; for sometimes I would make extremely *stupid* and careless mistakes, and contradictingly, sometimes I would understand something difficult very easily. My math teacher admitted to being confused by the unpredictability of my mathematical understanding.

Seems about right. Depending on the type of test, my INTJ bro will score between 120 - 140. He was brilliant in school, never studied, aced tests/exams and taught his computer class while the teacher was away. Almost forgot to mention, since he was homescooled up until grade 12, he had to take grades 11 & 12 in one year in order to graduate with enough credits. All this while managing to be the most popular kid in school. :shock:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seems about right. Depending on the type of test, my INTJ bro will score between 120 - 140. He was brilliant in school, never studied, aced tests/exams, and taught classes when the teachers were away. All this while managing to be the most popular kid in school. :shock:

Heck, I don't have an IQ figure for my ESFP son, who is artistic and comes off as scatter-brained and "Mr. Party" all the time... but he gets A's in math, gets it done quickly, and never asks for help. If you saw him, you'd think his average GPA would be a C, but he's usually riding the A line without working at all.

Go figure.

There are also different "types" of math. The number-crunching variety used for computation is one style, the differentials and more abstracted stuff is a different sort of beastie.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
How old is the kid anyway?
'til about 9th grade math is a joke.

Doesn't account for the success in other classes.
Who woulda thought IQ was a generic thing instead of a type thing AMIRITELOL?

Stupid scientists and their experiment based conjecture... who do those assholes think they are?
Defying theoretical rigor like that.
Since when does evidence trump the social contract huh?

Who's with me?

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Is it an INFP thing? I think, from what I've seen and heard so far, you guys tend to be writers more than anything, but he's also one of those types that actually pays attention to, and remembers, alot of facts, mostly cultural, historical, and trivial, but not number-oriented.

I'm not an INFP, but an ISFP, and have also found math difficult. Maybe it's because one of the traits of my type is focusing on concrete things rather than abstract things like math...though math is taught early in life using things rather than numbers directly. That's why even though I find math difficult, well, geometry is a different matter. :cheese:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
excuse me, is this the thread where i check in?

my name is nanook. i am retarded.

my mama told me i'm special, but the people in school know better. in germany we have the word "schwachsinning". it means moronically, but literally "having weak senses". it think that means that my brain makes no sense. i like that word a lot, because it describes me. so i know who i am. but i eat a lot of fish. that is supposed to help.

Last edited:

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My mother has the highest IQ in my family. Both parents were valedictorians. She is an INFJ (note that she is an F and math is actually her strong suit), whereas my father and also brilliant sister are INTJ's and your stereotypical engineers. I think to get any kind of real answer to this question you'd need to do a pretty extensive survey rather than just let people chime in.

Of course, the most important thing to consider in all of this is that I.Q. measures how well you do on an I.Q. test and not much else. Intelligence comes in so many different forms. You may score a 142 on an I.Q. test and have no spatial awareness, making you a klutz and totally inept at baseball (I would know), or you could score a 16 on the SAT and play two parts out of two different instruments out of both sides of your mouth at the same time (my hs band director). I don't at all like I.Q. as a blanket gauge of intelligence.

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
My mother has the highest IQ in my family. Both parents were valedictorians. She is an INFJ (note that she is an F and math is actually her strong suit), whereas my father and also brilliant sister are INTJ's and your stereotypical engineers. I think to get any kind of real answer to this question you'd need to do a pretty extensive survey rather than just let people chime in.

Of course, the most important thing to consider in all of this is that I.Q. measures how well you do on an I.Q. test and not much else. Intelligence comes in so many different forms. You may score a 142 on an I.Q. test and have no spatial awareness, making you a klutz and totally inept at baseball (I would know), or you could score a 16 on the SAT and play two parts out of two different instruments out of both sides of your mouth at the same time (my hs band director). I don't at all like I.Q. as a blanket gauge of intelligence.

When you put it like that, I think that ESTPs are the smartest people in the real world. They always always know what to say and how to say it. They can literally make a loss sound like a victory. And keep in mind that their grades and popularity ratings aren't poor either. Jeezuz

deleted
My ESTP brother has an IQ of 150-something. He was tested when young. When he takes IQ tests I find him online he scores in the high 150s, 157 the mode.

His occupation is a substitute middle/high school teacher. He messes with the students heads a lot, saying logical sounding things that end up confusing or scaring them, like that he doesn't remember them because the last guy was his identical twin, matching up remarks to improvised theories, changing personalities each class, making fun of the idiots, basically fucking with them etc.

He likes cryptic objects, with unique uses, and invents original things for semipractical use like the ENTP does, so he has some of that flavor to his soup. But he fits the ESTP Se profile a lot more. He's not really weird, he just acts weird when he feels like it.

maliafee

Family members IQ's that I know of:
(Results of IQ tests given to grade school kids, online tests, and tests in college)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTJ brother - 147-160 + (depending on the test)
ESTP brother - 145 (only has taken one test though, around age 6 or so)
ISFP female (me) - 142-155 (depending on the test)

Honestly, I think it has very little to do with type. I think that it a combination of genetics and environment (what kinds of things you learn/do from a young age on can affect it, quite a lot).

But I agree with almost everyone else here, that IQ does not = intelligence, but measures certain aspects of someone's brain. It's very incomplete.

Also, my INTJ brother is the smartest person I've met, and he is amazing at abstract math. My ENTJ brother has not taken a test that I know of, but he is great at that kind of math, too.

My ESTP brother AND me both dropped out of high school. I have no idea if he's good at higher math, but I'm AWFUL at it.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
what do the numbers mean? aren't they reflecting percentage, meaning that 100 is average? why do typical americans have such high IQ then? is it, because texans are allowed to drag the median down?

my IQ has been at best something like 125 (random tests i took here and there) but that does not reflect me in a meaning full way, because i am like 70 with some tasks (math and language) and 160 with others tasks (spatial relations, understanding patterns/series ...). but i am not sure if even the latter reflect my true strengths, which lie in very abstract analysis - not of data but of live itself (character patterns, flow of progress and intention, direction of growth), but they seem slightly related to visual or linguistic patterns. i am also extremely slow in extracting the question/meaning from the written test instructions, so i loose in any time related test. i am generally slooow when interacting with a fucking peace of paper. i need to have every thought three times, to bring it one step further. i might loose my driving license if i have to do the so called idiot test again, because that involves connecting numbers on a piece of paper, which means that you need to have a sensorical precise map of the paper and your eyes need to obey or even just relate to your internal map. i cant close this loop, cant keep the loop of inside and outside alive. takes me ages. even taking those damn mbti tests takes me true eternities. like 30 minutes or an hour.

i once solved a rubics cube in like 20 seconds. i don't own one, so i don't know if i can always do it. i can throw dices/cubes and they give me the numbers i want, most of the time. lol. i can recognize an actor from behind (his ears or how he moves his body), when i zap into a movie and he wears clothing and hairstyle that he never had in a move i had seen before.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
what do the numbers mean? aren't they reflecting percentage, meaning that 100 is average? why do typical americans have such high IQ then? is it, because texans are allowed to drag the median down?

my IQ has been at best something like 125 (random tests i took here and there) but that does not reflect me in a meaning full way, because i am like 70 with some tasks (math and language) and 160 with others tasks (spatial relations, understanding patterns/series ...). but i am not sure if even the latter reflect my true strengths, which lie in very abstract analysis - not of data but of live itself (character patterns, flow of progress and intention, direction of growth), but they seem slightly related to visual or linguistic patterns. i am also extremely slow in extracting the question/meaning from the written test instructions, so i loose in any time related test. i am generally slooow when interacting with a fucking peace of paper. i need to have every thought three times, to bring it one step further. i might loose my driving license if i have to do the so called idiot test again, because that involves connecting numbers on a piece of paper, which means that you need to have a sensorical precise map of the paper and your eyes need to obey or even just relate to your internal map. takes me ages.

i once solved a rubics cube in like 20 seconds. i don't own one, so i don't know if i can always do it. i can throw dices/cubes and they give me the numbers i want, most of the time. lol. i can recognize an actor from behind, when i zap into a movie and he wears clothing that he never wore in a move i had seen before.

I'm from Texas. You naughty fluffy easter bunny you.

Edited by Geoff : to remove insult.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

100, by definition, is the average, with 50% below and 50% above.
Typical Americans don't have a high IQ.
Typical online Americans do
...and typical people on sites such as this have an IQ between 130 and 210, which I am not a part of.
I can be interested in typology and still have absolutely no clue how to solve a Rubix Cube :cool: