• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

meb2828

MBTI Type
INFJ
My boyfriend is an INFP and he is exceptionally good at doing math problems that happen more obviously in day to day life. Statistical kind of math. But physics, calculus, or advanced algebra... Noo way! Haha.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
I got 110 the first time and I had to rush through it on my lunch break; several answers were guesses based on my gut instincts; maybe I'd do better (or worse) if I'd taken the time to think about them. The thing about those patterns is that anyone can practice and train their brains to better solve them--they all follow a certain logic. I imagine it's possible to increase one's score considerably with said practice.

I was going to make a thread about quarter-life cognitive decline, but checked back here and figured I'd just post here instead.

That test is a Raven's matrices test, it measures pure fluid intelligence.

Fluid intelligence is basically IQ (and creativity), as opposed to crystallized intelligence, which is pretty much just memory for information. Numerous studies show that fluid intelligence drops after adolescence - you basically lose any creative abilities or capacity to innovate and problem solve and have good ideas but make up for it by amassing a lot of information.

There's also the depressingly fixed nature of intelligence: it's genetic. You are born superior or inferior, your worth and place on the human hierarchy is written in your genes. I personally can never quite let go of the dream of improving intelligence, of being a better person myself, but the studies are so uncertain there's no way to be sure if any effort is worth it. Unless it becomes possible to actually improve IQ, it remains fact that someone with an IQ of 105 is vastly inferior as a human being than someone with an IQ of 175. Less useful, less interesting, less competent, with a less meaningful life.

EDIT: As I keep reading, there really does seem to be empirical changes in performance when people are trained for IQ tests. But here are also identifiable intelligence genes. Is it worth it try to become "more intelligent", or is it a waste of time?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think E.Q and S.Q are much more important :dry:

Because they align with your values. I don't think there's an effective way of measuring anyone's value unless you've been around them, friends, or co-workers, or partners, for a long time. People change, adapt, and are better or worse under certain conditions and for vastly varying reasons. I, for one, become a useless shit when I'm first waking up full of allergic congestion and hating the world.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because they align with your values. I don't think there's an effective way of measuring anyone's value unless you've been around them, friends, or co-workers, or partners, for a long time. People change, adapt, and are better or worse under certain conditions and for vastly varying reasons. I, for one, become a useless shit when I'm first waking up full of allergic congestion and hating the world.

:whacko:

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, uhhhh... What's going on in here? Conversation seems to be all over the board.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:wtf:

Yes exactly . WTF. You quoted : I, for one, become a useless shit when I'm first waking up full of allergic congestion and hating the world.

Allergic congestion ? Hating the world ?

I don't wanna know that feeling.

Anyway ! Don't forget you are your worst enemy. :2ar15:

Now, let's go back to the S.Q stuff [MENTION=27890]Jeremy8419[/MENTION] ! :woot::flirty:

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:wtf:

Yes exactly . WTF. You quoted : I, for one, become a useless shit when I'm first waking up full of allergic congestion and hating the world.

Allergic congestion ? Hating the world ?

I don't wanna know that feeling.

Anyway ! Don't forget you are your worst enemy. :2ar15:

Now, let's go back to the S.Q stuff [MENTION=27890]Jeremy8419[/MENTION] ! :woot::flirty:

Ah. Never tested for S.Q. before, but I am considered a conservative populist by some dingy test I took online last year. Not as in, "Hey! I'm Obama! Vote for my rich arse cuz I say I like poor people!" But in the classical definition of the word "populist."

As a side note, or rather relating to I.Q.: I scored 134 when I was 7 and had hearing problems until the year prior. Never checked to see if it was the Verbal portion I scored low on, but I did remember the seating arrangements, not being able to hear all the questions, taking visual cues of the other students and the teacher to gauge and guesstimate the correct answer, and subsequently wondering if I still had hearing issues. Was in gifted classes the remainder of my education, though they stopped feeling "gifted" in the "hey, learning hard stuff :)" way at age 11-12 due to boredom. I scored 143 on WAIS-3 in college. I can gauge my own I.Q. relative to others pretty easily, as well as well as in relation to their other Q.'s, and I can relate the strengths of my various Q.'s within myself, though I don't know the proper terms for each. Visual-spatial is typically my lowest, then the puzzle junk and logic stuff, then emotional, then social.

á´…eparted

passages
Question: what's "SQ?"

What a shining example of a crock of shit wikipedia page that shouldn't exist. Note the hedder:

8B7Rkii.png

The citations are also B.S. and none of them come from academic journals. It's not the least bit substantiated and is nothing more than philosophical opinions from a bunch of people who quite frankly, don't seem to know what they're talking about. Really it's just a load of psychobabble.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
IQ is only one aspect of intelligence measurement. Intelligence has and should have a waste number of different measurement methods such as academic intelligence, creative intelligence, social intelligence etc. IQ I believe falls in line with ONLY academic intelligence; so I don't put much worry/thought behind it. Also you can score high marks on IQ tests if you keep practicing on similar tests/questions and who are most likely to do so? People in academics of course. So it's like a circle jerk test for academics.

Anyway the preaching aside, from what I have noticed the most academically gifted individuals are INFPs. Yes INFPs, not INTPs or INTJs. The reason why INTxs would be good at academic insightfulness makes sense by MBTI terms but INFPs not so much. Maybe it's their Ne and Si? But then again INTPs and ENTPs have those two functions too and ENTPs aren't usually the ones to excel at academics.

So does Fi have something to do with their ability to comprehend?

Shit I just realized that maybe it's the fact that INFPs like to read a lot. Yeah maybe that's it. From a young age they grow a liking towards reading and when they study their interest towards reading gives them a slight advantage in academics.

Still don't know why it would be any better than Ti and Te or INTXs.

I should start a thread on it sometime. 'Dear INFPs do you find yourself to be academically gifted?'

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What a shining example of a crock of shit wikipedia page that shouldn't exist. Note the hedder:

8B7Rkii.png

The citations are also B.S. and none of them come from academic journals. It's not the least bit substantiated and is nothing more than philosophical opinions from a bunch of people who quite frankly, don't seem to know what they're talking about. Really it's just a load of psychobabble.

They're trying to explain a phenomenon, but haven't isolated it well enough to describe.

[MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] I like Guilford's Structure of Intellect.

t24.gif

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
^ That looks thorough. I should look into it more when I find time. It even has auditory and visual. Goooooooood.

á´…eparted

passages
They're trying to explain a phenomenon, but haven't isolated it well enough to describe.

It hasn't been verified through study to have any viability (and I'd argue it never will), and until that occurs it's nothing more than a fantasy or philosophical idea that isn't even close to on par with something like IQ. Which, ironically enough has it's fair share of problems. The idea of SQ is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get in this realm.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It hasn't been verified through study to have any viability (and I'd argue it never will), and until that occurs it's nothing more than a fantasy or philosophical idea that isn't even close to on par with something like IQ. Which, ironically enough has it's fair share of problems. The idea of SQ is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get in this realm.

Well, it's talking about Ni. Which is why I was mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's talking about Ni. Which is why I was mentioned.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ That looks thorough. I should look into it more when I find time. It even has auditory and visual. Goooooooood.

Yeah, I think he changed it a few times as far as how many divisions each axis goes, but it's still a 3-Dimensional model. The divisions of the axis don't matter as far as numbers go, so you technically could restructure a bit to be 4x4x4, which allows the possibility of putting the MBTI/Socionics stuff into it. I did a 4D one for Socionics about 6 months ago, but scrapped it out of ethical concerns. In any case, it's definitely a clearer view at intelligence than a single scalar.