• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FWIW, 75% of the population is not extraverted, if we are using MBTI. There are slightly more introverts.

http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/estimated-frequencies.htm FWIW. I'd immediately distrust the other snips as it seems to be using really bad "psycho-metric" data (presumably an offshoot of MBTI, or pre step I MBTI?)

I'm actually more surprised by the F/T stats. I thought Ts dominated the US.

Also interesting is that slightly more males are N than females...especially since the romanticized females are historically considered to be more intuitive.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I hate to break it to you buddy, but those online tests mean nothing and tend to score you higher than you really are.

It depends on the test. All kinds of internet IQ tests exist. I took one intended for children some time back and scored about 185. But I knew my official score and I've found some that gave me identical results to the score I had before I ever went online.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How many more times will this piss-contest thread be resurrected, I wonder.

At least once more!

Here ya go [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] see, I told ya not to feel so self-conscious!

Western-led research debunks the IQ myth

After conducting the largest online intelligence study on record, a Western University-led research team has concluded that the notion of measuring one's intelligence quotient or IQ by a singular, standardized test is highly misleading.

The findings from the landmark study, which included more than 100,000 participants, were published today in the journal Neuron. The article, "Fractionating human intelligence," was written by Adrian M. Owen and Adam Hampshire from Western's Brain and Mind Institute (London, Canada) and Roger Highfield, Director of External Affairs, Science Museum Group (London, U.K).

Screen testUtilizing an online study open to anyone, anywhere in the world, the researchers asked respondents to complete 12 cognitive tests tapping memory, reasoning, attention and planning abilities, as well as a survey about their background and lifestyle habits.

The results showed that when a wide range of cognitive abilities are explored, the observed variations in performance can only be explained with at least three distinct components: short-term memory, reasoning and a verbal component.

No one component, or IQ, explained everything. Furthermore, the scientists used a brain scanning technique known as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), to show that these differences in cognitive ability map onto distinct circuits in the brain.

With so many respondents, the results also provided a wealth of new information about how factors such as age, gender and the tendency to play computer games influence our brain function.

"Regular brain training didn't help people's cognitive performance at all yet aging had a profound negative effect on both memory and reasoning abilities," says Owen.

Hampshire adds, "Intriguingly, people who regularly played computer games did perform significantly better in terms of both reasoning and short-term memory. And smokers performed poorly on the short-term memory and the verbal factors, while people who frequently suffer from anxiety performed badly on the short-term memory factor in particular”.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least once more!

Here ya go [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] see, I told ya not to feel so self-conscious!

Your post is arguably against the FAQ's rule that concerns quoting entire articles.

That being said, consider the conclusion, "The results showed that when a wide range of cognitive abilities are explored, the observed variations in performance can only be explained with at least three distinct components: short-term memory, reasoning and a verbal component. No one component, or IQ, explained everything."

The phrase "no one component, or IQ" makes no sense on the face of it. And IQ tests don't test short-term memory, they focus on reasoning skills alone. You would have to have a pretty bad short-term memory, such as that of an insect, for that factor to affect your test result. "Verbal IQ" has nothing to do with the reasoning component. If you want to measure verbal IQ, or emotional IQ (EQ), then that's for a different test.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your post is arguably against the FAQ's rule that concerns quoting entire articles.

That being said, consider the conclusion, "The results showed that when a wide range of cognitive abilities are explored, the observed variations in performance can only be explained with at least three distinct components: short-term memory, reasoning and a verbal component. No one component, or IQ, explained everything."

The phrase "no one component, or IQ" makes no sense on the face of it. And IQ tests don't test short-term memory, they focus on reasoning skills alone. You would have to have a pretty bad short-term memory, such as that of an insect, for that factor to affect your test result. "Verbal IQ" has nothing to do with the reasoning component. If you want to measure verbal IQ, or emotional IQ (EQ), then that's for a different test.

Actually, the IQ test used by Mensa (at least the one I have seen) has a spacial thinking section, a verbal intelligence section, a math section and a memory section where you have to memorize a list of product names, product groups and product prices over half an hour or so on top of the usual pattern recognition and logic tasks.

IQ as they use it is a composition of all those sectors which is why the article doesn't make much sense to me. They also factor in gender, age and education level when calculating the result.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, so? The point is that tests based on motor tasks are more predictive of intelligence than IQ is

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, the IQ test used by Mensa (at least the one I have seen) has a spacial thinking section, a verbal intelligence section, a math section and a memory section where you have to memorize a list of product names, product groups and product prices over half an hour or so on top of the usual pattern recognition and logic tasks.

IQ as they use it is a composition of all those sectors which is why the article doesn't make much sense to me. They also factor in gender, age and education level when calculating the result.

Wow, that's downright evil.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was confusing. You said that tests based on motor skills are more predictive of IQ ("intelligence") than IQ is.

no, the suite of tests don't generate a G