• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Here's a big source of bias. The "gifted" are those opting to participate in gifted programs. Essentially extra courses and so on. Sensors are less likely to choose to take classes with no concrete benefit in their free time. The big issue is that the information was gathered to help teach the kids taking such courses not to gauge what types are smart. We are using the information in a very different manner that it was meant.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a big source of bias. The "gifted" are those opting to participate in gifted programs. Essentially extra courses and so on. Sensors are less likely to choose to take classes with no concrete benefit in their free time. The big issue is that the information was gathered to help teach the kids taking such courses not to gauge what types are smart. We are using the information in a very different manner that it was meant.

But in reality going to gifted clases causes "gifted" people to escape mainstream further pushing themsleves into their "gift" and mental frame of thought that they are better which they feel the need to defend themselves with charts like these which pushes others down and raises them up escalating and push themselves further from where they need to go...um...ok I am gonna start going in circles no point in continuing.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
more bias - non of the data matches, so the comparision can't be drawn in the frist place.

The analysis uses several data sets spread across different times with different definitions... then compared to an undefined population...

There are at least a dozen other issues including appauling reporting that means the data ultimately is likely to be nonsense.

When I looked at it back in Dec/early Jan, there was about 3 tings that ought to be research properly... the biggie being that N v's S shows a small skew towards gifteness,

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like being an EXFJ with an IQ in the 150 range. Makes me feel that much more unusual.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
how X is your x? Your avatar lable has you as an S... just curious.

I score like 50-50 on N vs. S. I've scored as every ExxJ combo there is. ESFJ first and most often. Many people are convinced I am ENFJ, though. Personally, I don't mind being labeled ESFJ. It seems to piss the right people off. I think the last breakdown was:

86% E 50% N/S 60%F 65% J

Something like that. The E and J are the only true consistents, with the E being extremely pronounced.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I score like 50-50 on N vs. S. I've scored as every ExxJ combo there is. ESFJ first and most often. Many people are convinced I am ENFJ, though. Personally, I don't mind being labeled ESFJ. It seems to piss the right people off. I think the last breakdown was:

86% E 50% N/S 60%F 65% J

Something like that. The E and J are the only true consistents, with the E being extremely pronounced.

The SN 50:50 is really interesting, I've been looking at loads of MBTI data just cos I'm a geek, and I'd put money on this being the big dicotomy that really splits people out... and you must be the first person I've come across consiously that has splt evenly.

Now, I'm assuming you took the test yourself... have you ever asked someone around you to help you? A partner perhaps - someone who knows you well?

I have a friend who swore he was so different in different situation that he couldn't type himself. I could tell from emails, conversations etc he screamed ESTJ, the evidence inclusded a 3000 word email giving blow by blow instructions on getting to a venue in order to go out a walk (an email I normally manage to pen in 2 lines).

Very interesting, your intellegence may be getting in the way of typing because you ahve developed coping mechanisims around areas of weakness...

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Sweet. We ISTJs try to act so normal that, in aggregate, our gifted percentage is normal! :cheese:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sweet. We ISTJs try to act so normal that, in aggregate, our gifted percentage is normal! :cheese:

I prefer strange to gifted. I mean dont gifted people comes across as strange, why not just jump to the end result. Saves the time involved with what it takes to be gifted.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I.Q. - a number that tells you how well you can put a bunch of blocks together.

Pfft.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The SN 50:50 is really interesting, I've been looking at loads of MBTI data just cos I'm a geek, and I'd put money on this being the big dicotomy that really splits people out... and you must be the first person I've come across consiously that has splt evenly.

Now, I'm assuming you took the test yourself... have you ever asked someone around you to help you? A partner perhaps - someone who knows you well?

I have a friend who swore he was so different in different situation that he couldn't type himself. I could tell from emails, conversations etc he screamed ESTJ, the evidence inclusded a 3000 word email giving blow by blow instructions on getting to a venue in order to go out a walk (an email I normally manage to pen in 2 lines).

Very interesting, your intellegence may be getting in the way of typing because you ahve developed coping mechanisims around areas of weakness...

Well, N vs. S is SUPPOSED to be the big dichotomy, but most tests I have seen seem to make it more nebulous than MBTI-heads would believe. ESFJ is the description that my friends think is the closest to my "personality" (i.e., the way I behave toward other people). However, my personal interests and my rigorous use of logic regarding music, politics, etc. scream N and T to people who are into MBTI. One person on here (I forget whom) seems to think that I am an unusually personable ENTJ. :D I don't know. Is it possible that unusually high intelligence and lots of time spent with N friends could make me an ESFJ with some pronounced N tendencies? I didn't grow up wealthy or with intellectuals for parents, but I went to a very expensive private high school on scholarship and then an Ivy League university. Is the ESFJ my "hereditary" personality, but the N and T my "environmental" acquired skills? Do abnormally high or low intelligences throw MBTI off, like mental illness can? All very interesting questions.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
imo IQ is irrelevant. im not saying this because i have a low IQ in fact my IQ is quite high. but to answer the question i know for a fact that statistically INTJs do the best and NTs in general do excellent.

some of the stupidest people i know have high IQs. the smartest people i know have high EQs ;)

EQ... had to look that up. Emotional intelligence? Shouldn't it be Emotional quotient? Anyway, it's crap. I scored 75%. Apparently average, but this test was useless. It doesn't tell you how smart you are, just how well you understand PEOPLE. And not ANY person either. Mostly Fs and probably S's. I knew what answers it would expect me to say, but I didn't agree with all of them for talking to someone like me. You might be able to tell if someone is upset if you score high on this. Doesn't mean you can reliably run a firm or proove string theory. IQ is a MUCH greater indicator of intelligence.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But in reality going to gifted clases causes "gifted" people to escape mainstream further pushing themsleves into their "gift" and mental frame of thought that they are better which they feel the need to defend themselves with charts like these which pushes others down and raises them up escalating and push themselves further from where they need to go...um...ok I am gonna start going in circles no point in continuing.
In almost all gifted programs you have to have an I.Q. of 130 or higher which is the most widely accepted number which would qualify for the "gifted" range.

Ive actually seen another study based upon a purely visual pattern I.Q. test that produced nearly identical results to the table posted earlier. I think it is for the most part accurate.

S types score low on i.q tests because they have trouble with the abstract nature of the questions on most I.Q. tests, it is not difficult for Ns to solve S type problems since S type reasoning is the most basic type of reasoning, everyone posses the ability to solve problems in a direct nature, Ns just usually prefer not to.

Think of childhood development is it not a critical part of child developement for the child to understand various abstract concepts? Is it not our ability to think abstractly that seperates us from animals?

We all have some capacity for abstract thought; the expression of your N trait is just how likely your are to use it.It makes sense that people with better abstract reasoning abilities would become Ns, though this is not always the case. Basically your ability for abstract thought and reasoning IS the measure of your intelligence.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
In almost all gifted programs you have to have an I.Q. of 130 or higher which is the most widely accepted number which would qualify for the "gifted" range.

Ive actually seen another study based upon a purely visual pattern I.Q. test that produced nearly identical results to the table posted earlier. I think it is for the most part accurate.

S types score low on i.q tests because they have trouble with the abstract nature of the questions on most I.Q. tests, it is not difficult for Ns to solve S type problems since S type reasoning is the most basic type of reasoning, everyone posses the ability to solve problems in a direct nature, Ns just usually prefer not to.

Think of childhood development is it not a critical part of child developement for the child to understand various abstract concepts? Is it not our ability to think abstractly that seperates us from animals?

We all have some capacity for abstract thought; the expression of your N trait is just how likely your are to use it.It makes sense that people with better abstract reasoning abilities would become Ns, though this is not always the case. Basically your ability for abstract thought and reasoning IS the measure of your intelligence.

Oh no, are we going to get into preferences vs. abilities again? Must all internet forums have a thread about who is smarter? :doh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...

Yes, there is a significant correlation. IN types score highest on IQ tests, followed by EN, then IS, then ES.

Just don't make the mistake of assuming that IQ is representative of total overall intelligence.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, there is a significant correlation. IN types score highest on IQ tests, followed by EN, then IS, then ES.

Just don't make the mistake of assuming that IQ is representative of total overall intelligence.

Funny. My IQ is "more higher" than average than my EQ, but I am a hardcore E and close on the N/S.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh no, are we going to get into preferences vs. abilities again? Must all internet forums have a thread about who is smarter? :doh:
I was trying to say that preferences follow abilities for the most part, even though on rare ocassions some S type personalities can rival and even surpass Ns in abstract reasoning.