• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I.Q. tests show a correlation between T and higher average I.Q.

Actually, no - they usually show correlation between N and higher IQ. T/F and P/J seem to make far less difference, often with no correlation. Sometimes I/E makes a difference, but still not as noticeable as S/N. IQ tests seem to measure a very N type of intelligence.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:doh:

I will never understand why a preference for facts, details, evidence, relevance, and the present moment would indicate a slower learning process than preference for theory, imagination, concepts, future, and ideas.
Both would be taking the IQ test from different perspectives, but should arrive at the answer just as easily.

I do understand why an N would have a preference for some more theoretical topics, (philosophy, language, psychology), while an S might have a preference for more the sciences and math. (No I didn't read this, admittedly, its just my thoughts on the matter.) But as far as inductive logic, both should have the same ability.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Smart but helpless??? :devil:

I.Q. tests show a correlation between T and higher average I.Q.

We should rely on the I.Q. measurement because it's imperative that the F's become a permanent, intellectual underclass so that we T's have someone to cook our food, clean our rooms, and mend our socks.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Coolness!

So if my IQ is higher than yours, you would cook and clean for me?

Wait, are you a girl or guy? Cus I only want to make this deal if you are a girl and you are willing to work for the sheer pleasure of knowing me. LOL

You wouldn't want me to cook and clean for you. You'd get canned beans and a house full of roaches. (Oh, and my species is sexless/genderless.)

Actually, no - they usually show correlation between N and higher IQ. T/F and P/J seem to make far less difference, often with no correlation. Sometimes I/E makes a difference, but still not as noticeable as S/N. IQ tests seem to measure a very N type of intelligence.

T or N. Doesn't matter, so long as my socks don't have holes.

Smart but helpless??? :devil:

We can get along without the help, but the food is bland.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I will never understand why a preference for facts, details, evidence, relevance, and the present moment would indicate a slower learning process than preference for theory, imagination, concepts, future, and ideas.
Both would be taking the IQ test from different perspectives, but should arrive at the answer just as easily.

I do understand why an N would have a preference for some more theoretical topics, (philosophy, language, psychology), while an S might have a preference for more the sciences and math. (No I didn't read this, admittedly, its just my thoughts on the matter.) But as far as inductive logic, both should have the same ability.

On the same note, most intellectual disciplines have both an applied and theoretical side to them. Mathematics is an excellent example.

Ultimately, we all still have 8 functions whether we want to believe it or not. And having a preference for one does not mean that you can't use the other (Ni/Se, Si/Ne, etc.). Thus, an ESFP could be excellent in academic disciplines, just as an INTJ could be well-versed in social disciplines.

Personally, I believe that you can develop aptitude in all 8 functions, while maintaining a preference for your type's function. I could be wrong though. *shrug*

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
:doh:

Agreed. In my opinon, IQ is an ancient invention that should have been absorbed by newer systems by now.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
re: math and science skills, often see Ns as Electrical Engineers, Ss as Mechanical Engineers

EEs need to deal with invisible electrons, MechEs with highly visible gears and motors

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the same note, most intellectual disciplines have both an applied and theoretical side to them. Mathematics is an excellent example.

S's are better in basic maths. Advanced maths requires "theory, imagination, concepts and ideas", which are N traits.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Personally, I believe that you can develop aptitude in all 8 functions, while maintaining a preference for your type's function. I could be wrong though. *shrug*

I do like it when common sense prevails ..

Trayal

MBTI Type
INTP
Been reading through this thread over the past few days, and decided I needed to register and contribute a bit. (BTW, hi, all!)

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

Aside from the undefined and possibly pretentious term "gifted" used in the study the above table came from, I found the correlations there pretty striking. I decided to take it a bit further and threw together a spreadsheet and fleshed out the data for the norm group then added the gifted and norm group together for a total. This also allowed the inclusion of a column for the ratio between gifted/norm, and another column for the percentage of gifted per type. This makes the pattern a little easier to perceive.

Enjoy. :)

gifted.jpg

sleepy

^^LOL, if you are gifted and INTP, you are not very special at all.

Oh, and surprise surprise. The ESFJ is on the bottom. The INTPs shadow. They always said that retard and genius is two sides off the same coin. This explains a lot actually.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
what exactly is gifted? I was placed in a gifted program when I was in grade school but begged my mom to take me out because I found out it was just more work!

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and surprise surprise. The ESFJ is on the bottom. The INTPs shadow. They always said that retard and genius is two sides off the same coin. This explains a lot actually.

This explains a lot less than you would think, actually.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As in, the more you understand, the more you understand that what you really understand is that you dont understand at all?

As in, these figures are practically useless to begin with. You can't measure the individual by sizing up the group.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
My experience shows that I score lower on tests that are based on the visual logic, than mathematical (number lists and stuff like that) and verbal logic and some visual. Fx on the Danish website's IQ test which is fully based on pictures I score like around 110, but in Free IQ Test - Fast, Free and Accurate Online IQ Test which is based on all kinds of questions involving verbal, mathematical and visual I scored 151. That's a big difference! So I believe that it's hard to measure actual IQ, it would be smarter to distinguish verbal, mathematical and visual IQ.

sleepy

As in, these figures are practically useless to begin with. You can't measure the individual by sizing up the group.
Agreed, and that was more clear then my vapid joke. I tend to just laugh of these things, fail to be able to take it seriously.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
what the chart doesn't tell you: All of the sensors at the bottom are gifted, just gifted at useful things.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Been reading through this thread over the past few days, and decided I needed to register and contribute a bit. (BTW, hi, all!)

Aside from the undefined and possibly pretentious term "gifted" used in the study the above table came from, I found the correlations there pretty striking. I decided to take it a bit further and threw together a spreadsheet and fleshed out the data for the norm group then added the gifted and norm group together for a total. This also allowed the inclusion of a column for the ratio between gifted/norm, and another column for the percentage of gifted per type. This makes the pattern a little easier to perceive.

Enjoy. :)

gifted.jpg

There is SO much wrong with that data it's outragious... there is very little that can be gleaned from it....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This explains a lot less than you would think, actually.

Seriosuly, I see an ESFJ who scores low much better at handling real life then I see a gifted INTP handling life. Its paper intelligence vs functional intelligence.

It actually shows why an INTP would actually be attracted to an ESFJs ability, but at the same time fear it and have a need to put it down to bring their self esteem up. The joys of conflicting...er...I mean shadow relationships ;)