User Tag List

First 488896979899100 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is just me being curious, no malintent, no laughing behind your back or anything. Just plain curiosity of a middle-aged man who has for some weird reason decided to publicly label himself as an INFJ.

Why do you want to make your IQ's known in a public forum? What does it give you? What kind of satisfaction? External validation? Feelings of being approved? The opportunity of telling others that you are not stupid and that you should be taken seriously? What are you seeking?
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd."
    - Bernard Russell

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nico_D View Post
    This is just me being curious, no malintent, no laughing behind your back or anything. Just plain curiosity of a middle-aged man who has for some weird reason decided to publicly label himself as an INFJ.

Why do you want to make your IQ's known in a public forum? What does it give you? What kind of satisfaction? External validation? Feelings of being approved? The opportunity of telling others that you are not stupid and that you should be taken seriously? What are you seeking?
    I think you're being a bit too specific in your speculations. INTx types tend to value intellect and IQ purports to be an objective measure of that. But I find this sort of intellectual posturing to be qualitatively no different than other people engaging in moral posturing. The main difference is that moral posturing, done correctly, is much more likely to result in social approval than intellectual posturing. In an odd way, your question reads to me as, "Why are you so stupid as to think that announcing your IQ will accomplish anything?" (Not that you mean it that way or imply any malicious intent. I'm just hypothesizing about the assumptions that lie behind the questions.)

Anyway, it's all just part of the human need to connect with others. It's just that sharing IQ scores is a really bad way of doing so.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I think you're being a bit too specific in your speculations. INTx types tend to value intellect and IQ purports to be an objective measure of that. But I find this sort of intellectual posturing to be qualitatively no different than other people engaging in moral posturing. The main difference is that moral posturing, done correctly, is much more likely to result in social approval than intellectual posturing. In an odd way, your question reads to me as, "Why are you so stupid as to think that announcing your IQ will accomplish anything?" (Not that you mean it that way or imply any malicious intent. I'm just hypothesizing about the assumptions that lie behind the questions.)

Anyway, it's all just part of the human need to connect with others. It's just that sharing IQ scores is a really bad way of doing so.
    I read it as there must be some underlying personal meaning other then it relates to the topic. As if just because i dont do it for a personal reason, must mean i do it for a personal reason.

I know personally off this website a small handful know my IQ and its people close that the topic came up with. No one else really knows my IQ.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Starry liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I went to Mensa once and didn't qualify ! best day ever :p
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes Starry, D'Ascoyne, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

"Why are you so stupid as to think that announcing your IQ will accomplish anything?" (Not that you mean it that way or imply any malicious intent. I'm just hypothesizing about the assumptions that lie behind the questions.)
    Good reading. Without the "stupid" part.

And you are probably right about the "connecting with people" thing. The thing with IQ is that it is easily seen as bragging - which is really sad cause people can talk practically almost about anything else but IQ or intelligence. That's a taboo. Also, at least for me, IQ really doesn't tell anything about people especially when I don't really trust these tests actually measure (only) what they are saying they measure. Loads of variables behind IQ tests like good day/bad day; previous experience with IQ tests or puzzle solving; patience; OCD/perfectionism (can you pass the first difficult test to move forward or do you get stuck because you can't leave it unsolved); how do you cope with stress (HSP's for one) and so forth.

But as said, I'm just being curious. I personally would never announce my IQ - even if I knew it which I don't cause I'm not that interested anymore.
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd."
    - Bernard Russell

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Less time spent worrying about intelligence, more time spent doing something with it.

By the way, I'm sure most here have noticed this many times and probably from a very early age as I did, but have you noticed that the slightly above average get rewarded/recognised far more for their achievements in society than the far above average?

Somebody, somewhere, is being very threatened. Good thing we can guard ourselves by devaluing the complicated that we don't understand.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes SpankyMcFly, D'Ascoyne, Punderstorm liked this post

Senior Member ThaumaturgicTheorist's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

Are we allowed to post links from other personality sites? Because if I could do that it would be much easier. However, rather than risk it, I'll just post this.

This graph shows the MBTI types ranked more or less by IQ. Specifically, by likelihood to be gifted:

INTx are the smartest types, right there in black and white.

Now, the thing people don't/won't acknowledge is the intelligence and IQ is the main arbiter of a person's worth. Everything about you stems from your intelligence - your capacity for success, your ability to think and have ideas, your emotionality, stability, and sensitivity, even unlikely things like athleticism (I'm trying to find the source where I read this....there was a whole list) The high IQ person is basically a god among men, capable of perfection in anything and everything. Here's a list of all the things positively correlated with IQ. Is it any wonder the average always envy the gifted? Why wouldn't you be frustrated to have someone's existence constantly remind you of how worthless and useless you are, to always know that you are completely and utterly redundant, a living joke in your inherent incompetence?

Because that's what being a Sensor is. Living with that. S-types are useless, living constantly off the intellectual labor of NTs. Don't believe me? The entire civilized world was built by NT types, Sensors just live in it despite not deserving it or being able to contributing anything relevant to it's improvement or advancement.

The rather interesting thing is this graph also points out that emotion makes you stupid. NTs don't have much in the way of emotions (though some would claim they instead actually have the strongest, deepest emotions), and they are the most intelligent people in existence. No Feeler has ever accomplished anything of merit, certainly not a Sensor-Feeler (no Sensor-Thinker has ever accomplished anything of merit either, but still). Usually it seems like a stereotype that robotic unemotionality and quasi-sociopathic insensitivity equals intelligence, and it would seem that that's true as well.

That said, I'm an ISFP with an IQ of 101, by an actual test. Other scores and indicators have implied it's higher, but I doubt that considering my life and now my type.

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThaumaturgicTheorist View Post
    Are we allowed to post links from other personality sites? Because if I could do that it would be much easier. However, rather than risk it, I'll just post this.

This graph shows the MBTI types ranked more or less by IQ. Specifically, by likelihood to be gifted:

Now, the thing people don't/won't acknowledge is the intelligence and IQ is the main arbiter of a person's worth. Everything about you stems from your intelligence - your capacity for success, your ability to think and have ideas, your emotionality, stability, and sensitivity, even unlikely things like athleticism (I'm trying to find the source where I read this....there was a whole list) The high IQ person is basically a god among men, capable of perfection in anything and everything. Here's a list of all the things positively correlated with IQ. Is it any wonder the average always envy the gifted? Why wouldn't you be frustrated to have someone's existence constantly remind you of how worthless and useless you are, to always know that you are completely and utterly redundant, a living joke in your inherent incompetence?

Because that's what being a Sensor is. Living with that. S-types are useless, living constantly off the intellectual labor of NTs. Don't believe me? The entire civilized world was built by NT types, Sensors just live in it despite not deserving it or being able to contributing anything relevant to it's improvement or advancement.

The rather interesting thing is this graph also points out that emotion makes you stupid. NTs don't have much in the way of emotions (though some would claim they instead actually have the strongest, deepest emotions), and they are the most intelligent people in existence. No Feeler has ever accomplished anything of merit, certainly not a Sensor-Feeler (no Sensor-Thinker has ever accomplished anything of merit either, but still). Usually it seems like a stereotype that robotic unemotionality and quasi-sociopathic insensitivity equals intelligence, and it would seem that that's true as well.

That said, I'm an ISFP with an IQ of 101, by an actual test. Other scores and indicators have implied it's higher, but I doubt that considering my life and now my type.
    I hope you are kidding... this is such a pessimistic outlook on life. It's what you do with your strengths and the amount of hard work that determine your success. Of course there will always be thresholds and limits, but raw IQ doesn't imply success. There are quite a few intelligent SPs around here.
    Likes Flâneuse, cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThaumaturgicTheorist View Post

This has the most self loathing I have ever read in a single post.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    My IQ is higher than Spanky's

*Starts to masturbate super FURIOUSLY!*

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Less time spent worrying about intelligence, more time spent doing something with it.
    Agreed. Potential/capacity has marginal value, society values what you've 'done'.

Agreed. It's also a way that males compete & bond especially, just look at the people publicly announcing their IQs then look at their gender. It's a 'gendered' thing and biological in nature, imo.

It's a form of establishing a dominance hierarchy, which is really pursuing reproductive success.

"Dominance hierarchy arises when members of a social group interact, often aggressively, to create a ranking system. In social living groups, members are likely to compete for access to limited resources and mating opportunities. Rather than fight each time they meet, relative relationships are formed between members of the same sex. These repetitive interactions lead to the creation of a social order that is subject to change each time a dominant animal is challenged by a subordinate one."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_hierarchy

"Oh check out my huge penis which is X long!" "Or hey look at all my toys!" Of course the ever popular, "hey look at my bank account!" "Look at me I'm so creative!" We can't leave out, "Hey look at how morally superior I am by frowning down on those who engage in the above "
    Last edited by SpankyMcFly; 04-22-2016 at 05:59 AM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft