First 44849293949596104 Last

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Stek View Post
    However, if one is able to do exactly that, one is likely to have above average IQ.

IQ is a measurement of the potential to be successful.

It is, of course, entirely possible to have a high IQ while still not amount to anything.
    Part of figuring out what you want out of life and succeeding is having some self-awareness and setting realistic goals within the realm of your limitations. Unless you have a notably low IQ, I would think that would be fairly reasonable to achieve.

IQ can be a decent indicator but it can also be quite limiting if one puts too much stock into it.

I typically score below average-average on most of the IQ type tests but did well academically w/ minimal effort and worked my way up to an executive position.
    Likes Poki liked this post

MBTI
    xSTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stek View Post
    However, if one is able to do exactly that, one is likely to have above average IQ.

IQ is a measurement of the potential to be successful.

It is, of course, entirely possible to have a high IQ while still not amount to anything.
    No it doesn't. IQ measures your reasoning and problem solving abilities. It specifically measures the speed and the complexity of it. Has nothing at all to do with success or even possibility of success. IQ is such a small portion of success I wouldn't tie it to being successful or not.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

MBTI
    xSTP

Quote Originally Posted by Protege View Post
    Part of figuring out what you want out of life and succeeding is having some self-awareness and setting realistic goals within the realm of your limitations. Unless you have a notably low IQ, I would think that would be fairly reasonable to achieve.

IQ can be a decent indicator but it can also be quite limiting if one puts too much stock into it.

I typically score below average-average on most of the IQ type tests but did well academically w/ minimal effort and worked my way up to an executive position.
    .and I score way up in the 0.5% range and graduated in bottom quarter of my class in high school. Did good in college though, but gave up after associates. I personally avoid any executive or management positions because i dont want to deal with that stuff.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes FutureInProgress, uumlau, grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    .and I score way up in the 0.5% range and graduated in bottom quarter of my class in high school. Did good in college though, but gave up after associates. I personally avoid any executive or management positions because i dont want to deal with that stuff.
    Frankly, I just didn't want to be bossed around and deal with people's incompetencies. I think what the IQ tests don't account for is my ability to manipulate and apply relevant data regarding people and processes to fit whatever goals I have...I am exceptionally intelligent and calculated in this regard but abstract logic puzzles are not really in my skillset.
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    xSTP

Frankly, I just didn't want to be bossed around and deal with people's incompetencies. I think what the IQ tests don't account for is my ability to manipulate and apply relevant data regarding people and processes to fit whatever goals I have...I am exceptionally intelligent and calculated in this regard but abstract logic puzzles are not really in my skillset.
    Yeah, now your gonna bring in the you have a high IQ its just in a different subject argument. I know quite a bit of people like this who have below average IQs. They leverage others to get where they are. It's the skillet a managers and executives need. I like for things to be done right and its less draining for me to do it myself then to find competent people that can do it. Due to a very high IQ I can learn to the point I become an expert at the drop of a hat. That's less draining and easier, combined with my desire to learn everything(school bored the shit outta me), and my enjoyment to be a hands on person has really lead me down the path I went. It's a bunch of things besides a high IQ that has helped me succeed.

All the above basically puts me as a natural consultant.
    Likes FutureInProgress liked this post

MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Yeah, now your gonna bring in the you have a high IQ its just in a different subject argument.
    Well, technically, no. That would distort the true meaning of IQ, wouldn't it? I am just saying I have a certain skill-set that probably wouldn't be accounted for in most IQ tests. I tell people all the time that I have an average IQ.

I know quite a bit of people like this who have below average IQs. They leverage others to get where they are. It's the skillet a managers and executives need.
    I am unsure about that in my case. I got to where I am due to my merit and competency regardless of my IQ. Most people, in real life, don't even know what my actual position is because I didn't really want to exert power and control onto other people.

I like for things to be done right and its less draining for me to do it myself then to find competent people that can do it.
    Ironically, that was my motivation to try to get myself in the executive position so I could have much more sway in the direction of the company.

Due to a very high IQ I can learn to the point I become an expert at the drop of a hat. That's less draining and easier, combined with my desire to learn everything(school bored the shit outta me), and my enjoyment to be a hands on person has really lead me down the path I went.
    Although I may not have a high IQ, I am somewhat the same way... I learn things well enough for them to be useful to me. And I like to learn how all aspects of business come together to fit into the overall big picture. The fun and the challenge is to see how all the moving parts interact, pinpoint the problems, and find efficient solutions to prevent major headaches in the future.

It's a bunch of things besides a high IQ that has helped me succeed. All the above basically puts me as a natural consultant.
    I could see that. You seem like a solid, standup guy. Ultimately, I would love to become a business consultant... in fact, I may eventually become one for my friend. My current position is a way to get some real world experience.

MBTI
    xSTP

Well, technically, no. That would distort the true meaning of IQ, wouldn't it? I am just saying I have a certain skill-set that probably wouldn't be accounted for in most IQ tests. I tell people all the time that I have an average IQ.

I am unsure about that in my case. I got to where I am due to my merit and competency regardless of my IQ. Most people, in real life, don't even know what my actual position is because I didn't really want to exert power and control onto other people.

Ironically, that was my motivation to try to get myself in the executive position so I could have much more sway in the direction of the company.

Although I may not have a high IQ, I am somewhat the same way... I learn things well enough for them to be useful to me. And I like to learn how all aspects of business come together to fit into the overall big picture. The fun and the challenge is to see how all the moving parts interact, pinpoint the problems, and find efficient solutions to prevent major headaches in the future.

I could see that. You seem like a solid, standup guy. Ultimately, I would love to become a business consultant... in fact, I may eventually become one for my friend. My current position is a way to get some real world experience.
    It would distort true meaning, I really more meant by you mentioning what you are good at others will jump on the band wagon of IQ in different subject matters. It's just a rationalization technique others use. Only reason it semi drives me nuts is that it puts into that persons head that it actually matters what IQ is and that they have it as long as you twist and add qualifiers. I would prefer to just say that IQ doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. It's a small part of a big equation, and we all have different things we are good at.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

It would distort true meaning, I really more meant by you mentioning what you are good at others will jump on the band wagon of IQ in different subject matters. It's just a rationalization technique others use. Only reason it semi drives me nuts is that it puts into that persons head that it actually matters what IQ is and that they have it as long as you twist and add qualifiers. I would prefer to just say that IQ doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. It's a small part of a big equation, and we all have different things we are good at.
    Well, in a vacuum IQ does matter. Having a high IQ has a benefit over having a low IQ. The thing is you simply can't treat IQ in a vacuum. For one, high IQ can have negative things that go with it, unrelated to IQ. Other areas of strength and weakness can be more important or larger.

As such, IQ is always a data point, but in the majority of cases it's a data point that doesn't matter, that data point gets lost in a sea of noise of other factors that in some way trump it or reduce its importance.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Poki liked this post

MBTI
    xSTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Well, in a vacuum IQ does matter. Having a high IQ has a benefit over having a low IQ. The thing is you simply can't treat IQ in a vacuum. For one, high IQ can have negative things that go with it, unrelated to IQ. Other areas of strength and weakness can be more important or larger.

As such, IQ is always a data point, but in the majority of cases it's a data point that doesn't matter, that data point gets lost in a sea of noise of other factors that in some way trump it or reduce its importance.
    Exactly

Obviously, there are exceptions to any tendency. However, it is reasonable to assume that in the case that you had been even more intelligent, you would have been able to achieve more in less time. I do agree, though, that the knowledge of having an average or below average IQ could discourage the motivation to achieve ones goals. I'm glad to hear it didn't seem to affect you much.

No it doesn't. IQ measures your reasoning and problem solving abilities. It specifically measures the speed and the complexity of it. Has nothing at all to do with success or even possibility of success. IQ is such a small portion of success I wouldn't tie it to being successful or not.
    I simplified my explanation a bit, and took a short cut to the assumed effect of having a high IQ. You are right that IQ is a measure of reasoning and problem solving abilities. But still, a person with strong reasoning and problem solving skills is more likely to achieve success in whatever that person does. Therefore, high IQ is a measurement of the potential to be successful. If, however, you do not have strong reasoning and problem solving skills, you would have to rely more on luck and coincidence, or help from others to achieve your goals. In other words, you would be more dependent on aspects outside of your control, and therefore, your potential to achieve success would be more limited.

Of course, a person with a low IQ can also be skilfull and achieve great things. But a person with a high IQ is more likely to solve problems and learn new skills faster, which is likely to give them a broader skillset to counter future problems, and will therefore have a stronger potential to reach their goals. In short, both can achieve their goals. But one is more likely to achieve their goals, than the other.