User Tag List

Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: MBTI Type and I.Q.

MBTI
    xSTP

Quote Originally Posted by EliaBlack View Post
    What I meant by "genius NTs" is people like Bill Gates who use their intelligence and vision, along with a bit of luck, to make life better for themselves. The same is true for certain INFP writers, xNFJ politicians, etc. Some intuitives have such great abilities that they actually bypass the working-in-retail phase and go straight into success. Although this could be seen as an intuitive advantage, it actually happens to very few of us. I'm not expecting to develop a famed personality theory or write a best-seller anytime soon. I'll have to take the normal route of applying for jobs, going to interviews, and learning how to be more aware and detail-oriented, because that's what is expected of everyone. Sensors have it easier in this regard. Being a young intuitive in the job market is a bit like being a sensor in a philosophy class.

Yes, minority. The interwebz is full of genius NTs that don't do shit and suck at application. The best advice I can give to an NT is get outta your head and intuition and find the balance between theory and reality. An INTP for example is split between N and S just like I am being ISTP. Just reverse NeSi vs SeNi. Figure out how to use those as a checks and balance system for each other and you will grow
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was working on a puzzle book which seems to contain problems from both Mensa and Wechsler styled tests. My wife bought it because she thought practicing the problems would help her think more like our son, who is advanced in multiple areas.

Anyway, I was doing pretty good (better with the number and pattern-based problems, not as well with problems dealing with popular figures of speech) on several problems, but all I can think is if I could take half the brain power I devoted to solving the problems and apply it to some business enterprise, I would be set for life.

Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Yes, minority. The interwebz is full of genius NTs that don't do shit and suck at application. The best advice I can give to an NT is get outta your head and intuition and find the balance between theory and reality. An INTP for example is split between N and S just like I am being ISTP. Just reverse NeSi vs SeNi. Figure out how to use those as a checks and balance system for each other and you will grow
    Yes, I think finding success for either type is dependent on using both the middle functions without relying on either too heavily.

An INTP who neglects Ne will get in a TiSi rut, basing their judgments and decisions on comfortable past knowledge whilst neglecting alternate possibilities. Relying on Ne too much and ignoring the Si means they won't be using past experience and knowledge to help back up and/or confirm/test new ideas and possibilities.

I suppose with ISTP, the danger of neglecting Se means they aren't taking in that present, real-time data to help back up their TiNi perspectives. Ignoring the Ni means they might become TOO dependent on present sensory data while failing to step back and get some perspective on a situation.

Half-baked type analysis reduced to a few sentences, so I apologize if I'm wrong or oversimplifying the essences of both types.

MBTI
    xSTP

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Yes, I think finding success for either type is dependent on using both the middle functions without relying on either too heavily.

An INTP who neglects Ne will get in a TiSi rut, basing their judgments and decisions on comfortable past knowledge whilst neglecting alternate possibilities. Relying on Ne too much and ignoring the Si means they won't be using past experience and knowledge to help back up and/or confirm/test new ideas and possibilities.

I suppose with ISTP, the danger of neglecting Se means they aren't taking in that present, real-time data to help back up their TiNi perspectives. Ignoring the Ni means they might become TOO dependent on present sensory data while failing to step back and get some perspective on a situation.

Half-baked type analysis reduced to a few sentences, so I apologize if I'm wrong or oversimplifying the essences of both types.
    Which is funny when you think about it because an INTP in a rut will say how hard it is being N when they are stuck in S..lol
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    I was working on a puzzle book which seems to contain problems from both Mensa and Wechsler styled tests. My wife bought it because she thought practicing the problems would help her think more like our son, who is advanced in multiple areas.

Anyway, I was doing pretty good (better with the number and pattern-based problems, not as well with problems dealing with popular figures of speech) on several problems, but all I can think is if I could take half the brain power I devoted to solving the problems and apply it to some business enterprise, I would be set for life.
    You don't even need half the brain power, or be a genius. You just need to be persistent and oriented towards accumulating savings. The results start off very very slow, but accelerate in later years as earning power increases along with any investments you made in earlier years.

Just take doing what you love to do and turn it into money ... well, except being a musician or actor or athlete where the odds of earning a decent living are minuscule in spite of the few spectacular millionaires who succeed beyond their wildest dreams. Heck, just being a good plumber or electrician or other skilled trade will earn you a lot more than a PhD when that PhD is in something that people don't want to buy.

There's a book titled "The Millionaire Next Door" that explains a lot about how this works. The real millionaires do NOT live a Beverly Hills lifestyle. They look middle class and act middle class, but have a shit-ton of money in the bank, just from being persistent about earning it and conscientious about saving it.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I have taken several IQ tests and they all go by what you have learned in school. That is not a true indication of IQ for those that have had less education. I believe that Someone could be smarter than a test would indicate and that if you teach them certain math questions or other questions they have not been exposed to yet they can get a higher score in just a few minutes time. I went from a 103 to a 123 in five minutes of instructions for math and that's just because I had never seen that kind of question before. The difference is astounding and therefore, the tests are just an indicator of education. If anyone knows something different I would like to hear about it.
    Likes lumi liked this post

Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Which is funny when you think about it because an INTP in a rut will say how hard it is being N when they are stuck in S..lol
    INTPs and ISTPs are flipsides of the same coin in that respect
    Likes Poki liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    I have taken several IQ tests and they all go by what you have learned in school. That is not a true indication of IQ for those that have had less education. I believe that Someone could be smarter than a test would indicate and that if you teach them certain math questions or other questions they have not been exposed to yet they can get a higher score in just a few minutes time. I went from a 103 to a 123 in five minutes of instructions for math and that's just because I had never seen that kind of question before. The difference is astounding and therefore, the tests are just an indicator of education. If anyone knows something different I would like to hear about it.
    I keep hearing that IQ is a measure of mental aptitude, but I agree with you that's it's actually more a measure of ability and that one's score (especially verbal IQ) is not always a reliable indicator of their inherent brainpower relative to the general population because factors like education and test-taking skills are so important. IQ level definitely correlates with inherent intelligence level, though, because high aptitude is obviously necessary for the development of high ability, and intelligent people tend to be more intellectually curious (not always, of course) and therefore more likely to seek out knowledge and to pursue and succeed in higher education. If someone gets a high score they obviously have a pretty good capacity to learn and reason, but their intellectual aptitude isn't necessarily as far ahead of the general population as their score would indicate. There are a bunch of factors that influence the development of their abilities - having better educational opportunities than most people, being in an intellectually enriching environment where they're exposed to more knowledge, having a very high level of curiosity, etc. And as you touched on, a person can have skill levels that are lower than their aptitude would allow - this could be due to lower curiosity or lack of educational opportunities and general exposure to knowledge and ideas. (Verbal IQ in particular relies heavily on acquired knowledge. Performance/non-verbal IQ is less flexible because it correlates more with fluid intelligence, or the ability to solve novel problems based on reasoning alone rather than using stored knowledge.)

“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse
    Likes Silent, FutureInProgress liked this post

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    359 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I.Q. is quite irrelevant as long as one is able to figure out how to get what they want out of life and succeed.

Member Array
    MBTI
    InTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Protege View Post
    I.Q. is quite irrelevant as long as one is able to figure out how to get what they want out of life and succeed.
    However, if one is able to do exactly that, one is likely to have above average IQ.

IQ is a measurement of the potential to be successful.

It is, of course, entirely possible to have a high IQ while still not amount to anything.

Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast