User Tag List

First 78910111959 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My IQ is 121. I always thought 120 was average, and anything below 100 was mental disability. How does it work, anyway?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Ok, fine. But I still have my doubts. I mean everyone wants to appear better than they are. How do you know I didn't lie, about my score? and it's really 90?
    It's just on trust. None of us would really know if someone were lying or not. :-)

I posted mine in another thread, but due to where you're going with your comments, I don't want to post it again!

And I hardly equate 120's-130's to genius-- in fact, that just makes me laugh, because I feel like a total moron in certain areas of life. :-) For me personally, the only reason I posted my number in another thread was because it was kind of an -A-HA moment - in that it explained why I've had so many social issues growing up. I actually think it can be rather an impediment for real-world stuff, so count yourself lucky!! :-)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Ok, fine. But I still have my doubts. I mean everyone wants to appear better than they are. How do you know I didn't lie, about my score? and it's really 90?
    Oh, it doesn't really matter. I was just saying that if you have a 110 IQ, you are above average. It really doesn't matter to me. IQ is just a construct; it rarely imparts knowledge levels, skills or anything else.

It influences how quickly you can gain knowledge and (some) skills, but that's about it... well, it also probably puts a cap on being able to understand some genius level abstractions, like theoretical math...

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    My IQ is 121. I always thought 120 was average, and anything below 100 was mental disability. How does it work, anyway?
    100 is average, SD is 15. Half the population scores under 100 and half above 100.

For example, if you take an IQ test and normalize it (you get 1000 people to take it), most will score (x) out of (y). If that is the average, then if you score less than (x), your IQ is lower than 100... if you score higher than (x), then greater than 100.

It tells you, more or less, how well you can answer the questions relative to the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    And I hardly equate 120's-130's to genius-- in fact, that just makes me laugh, because I feel like a total moron in certain areas of life. :-) For me personally, the only reason I posted my number in another thread was because it was kind of an -A-HA moment - in that it explained why I've had so many social issues growing up. I actually think it can be rather an impediment for real-world stuff, so count yourself lucky!! :-)
    I think that most of us view IQ as a "norm" around 110-120. It's not. Having an IQ of 110-120 puts you in a pretty professional and relatively small group.

If you look at it from an economics term, being "richer" than 75% or 90% of the population is huge. Yes, genius may be top 1% or whatever, but I think people understate the value of a 110+IQ in general. You rolled the dice and won. Those in the bottom 25% will have a very hard time and it is equally likely to be in either.

Most overstate their IQ when they are in the 110-130 range, maybe perhaps because once they are in that range, they identify with being "smart" and need a higher IQ to validate it for themselves...

Honestly though, IQ is irrelevent at the individual level. I don't know why so many people waste time worry about it. You can't change it, really, and it isn't going to get you a job, money, love or happiness. If you want those things, you go out and get them yourself.

MBTI
    INTJ

100 is average. Here you can see the distribution: Image:IQ curve.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

70 (-2 SDs) = bottom 2 %
    80 = bottom 10 %
    90 = bottom 25 %
    100 = top 50 %
    110 = top 25 %
    120 = top 10 %
    130 (+2 SDs) = top 2 %

(This depends on the standard deviation (SD) though, here it is 15. If it is 16, the numbers would be 68-100-132 at the ends, if it was 24, it would be 52-100-148. Most common is 15 or 16 though.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    100 is average, SD is 15. Half the population scores under 100 and half above 100.

For example, if you take an IQ test and normalize it (you get 1000 people to take it), most will score (x) out of (y). If that is the average, then if you score less than (x), your IQ is lower than 100... if you score higher than (x), then greater than 100.

It tells you, more or less, how well you can answer the questions relative to the general population.
    So in other words, I shouldn't feel stupid for not having an IQ of 130 or higher? I always have, because I thought 120 was barely in the middle of average. I'm glad I found this out. (But I still think I would have done better if I'd known what a "prime" number was. Darn.)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Honestly though, IQ is irrelevent at the individual level. I don't know why so many people waste time worry about it. You can't change it, really, and it isn't going to get you a job, money, love or happiness. If you want those things, you go out and get them yourself.
    Definitely true!! Drive and personal motivation is all that's necessary for most things.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Keep a good thought that people with IQs below 20 are rare, too. And the scientific community calls these people "idiots."

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Keep a good thought that people with IQs below 20 are rare, too. And the scientific community calls these people "idiots."
    *blinks* I thought IQ of 40 already corresponds to severe mental retardation clinically... that means they can't care for themselves at all and need constant supervision. IQ of below 20?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Because women can't compare penis size. Comparing IQ size is gender neutral and therefore everyone can play.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

So in other words, I shouldn't feel stupid for not having an IQ of 130 or higher? I always have, because I thought 120 was barely in the middle of average. I'm glad I found this out. (But I still think I would have done better if I'd known what a "prime" number was. Darn.)

130+ is doctorate level+. Well, technically, 120+ or so for the lighter doctorates and 140+ for the hard core doctorates, but 130 puts you in a very very small group. 120 is very high.

If you feel bad at 120 IQ, it's just ego (well, now that you know 100 is norm I meant if you aren't satisfied being in the top 10% or so, then... well... humbug).