User Tag List

First 1454626364656674 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

skylights - tbh I don't belong to mensa and don't know much about it, nor about how its members view others.

I still think though that there are just as many Elitist groups of different sorts outside of mensa-type intelligence. Sure, they may not be as formalized, but I don't really buy into the notion that people who have different definitions of what Good Music is are going to be accepted in certain music-snob groups or scenes, or that people who don't view drama or other activities in the same light/obsession are going to be truly accepted into those sorts of sub-cultures. I mean elitism and snobbery are found everywhere in ALL groups - it's not specific to intellectual circles. Mensa just gets the bad rap because it codifies things and has an actual membership selection process, and does define intelligence in a more limited spectrum. I'm not condoning the definition btw...but again it's a certain type of intelligence.. I just don't really have a problem with people who have that aspect in common, gathering together.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

yeah. well, nor do i, i like clubs and gatherings, it's just the exclusion that bothers me. and promoting intellectual superiority... i think that's a lot more dangerous than saying you have the best kind of music or whatever.

Mensa just gets the bad rap because it codifies things and has an actual membership selection process, and does define intelligence in a more limited spectrum.
    yeah, definitely. but i think it should. it's chosen to formalize that idea, and put it into reality, and it should reap the consequences, imo.

i have some family members in mensa, they're rather elitist themselves. that's not a fair sample size, though.

Anew Leaf

I qualified for Mensa when I was 10 or so. I didn't sign up because the club was all boys and I was awkward enough.

I have a customer who would come into my business and brag about how she is in Mensa. She thought she was better than me because of this fact and it amused me to no end to hear her bragging about something so ridiculous. Finally one day my mom said, "You know Saturned qualified for Mensa too." The chick's jaw dropped and she said "oh.... you did....?" I figured it was time to yank her chain a bit so I replied offhandly "Yeah... the Triple 9 society offered me a membership too but I thought they were a bit pretentious, ya know? So I turned them down." She said, "Oh.... uh.. yeah! Me too! I thought the same thing! Haha!" I thought, yeah right you would have turned them down... odds are, you don't even know what I am talking about.

She hasn't brought up her being in Mensa ever again. I pretty much think she is a total idiot, Mensa or no. She came in one day when we had a nature cd playing.

"Oh! You're listening to whale music.... Hmmm... sounds like a humpback whale based on my research."

I marveled at her powers of knowledge and she smirked at me. The CD? Forest song with wolf howls and birds chirping behind piano and guitar.

Mensa sure is lucky to have her.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ps are too non conformist for mensa

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Ps are too non conformist for mensa
    haha! That may explain why I never aspired to join any club or clique in school. I belong to myself. That's an elite enough grouping for my ego.

MBTI
    ENTP

Me neither. Probably because there weren't any.

However of all types of "clubs" and organizations I have the pretentious fucks.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Me neither. Probably because there weren't any.

However of all types of "clubs" and organizations I have the pretentious fucks.
    Yeah, this was more my point in bringing up other types of groups/interests - I don't see Mensa as being terribly unique in this respect... other than what we've already discussed, which is the formal aspect of application & entry requirements.

(But most other groups have informal hazing /weeding out/ 'entry requirements' (what is met with approval vs what doesn't fit the bill in terms of fitting in with the group... )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    haha! I never aspired to join any club or clique in school. I belong to myself. That's an elite enough grouping for my ego.
    Me either. I was too busy waiting for 3:00 so I could go do dirty deeds and swim in the pool, ride bikes, etc. I probably participated in the least number of school activities of any of the "smart" kids..... and was one of the least intelligent of the "smart" kids. My best friend I think was ISTJ 6, and she always made better grades than I did. I graduated with like a 92 overall, and she graduated with a 95, I think. Then again, she wasn't out riding bikes and chasing men hahaha.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    She hasn't brought up her being in Mensa ever again. I pretty much think she is a total idiot, Mensa or no. She came in one day when we had a nature cd playing.

"Oh! You're listening to whale music.... Hmmm... sounds like a humpback whale based on my research."

I marveled at her powers of knowledge and she smirked at me. The CD? Forest song with wolf howls and birds chirping behind piano and guitar.

Mensa sure is lucky to have her.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Yeah, this was more my point in bringing up other types of groups/interests - I don't see Mensa as being terribly unique in this respect... other than what we've already discussed, which is the formal aspect of application & entry requirements.

(But most other groups have informal hazing /weeding out/ 'entry requirements' (what is met with approval vs what doesn't fit the bill in terms of fitting in with the group... )
    ehhh.

i dunno. i'm really into clubs and organizations, i've been a member of many over the years and still participate in quite a few. there are the open invitation clubs... anyone is welcome ; skill requirements, like sports (but it's generally assumed that if you practice enough, you can get in) ; and invitation-only social, like fraternities (truth there being that if you clean up nicely, behave politely, and get along well with the group, you'll probably get invited in). what i see with mensa that i don't see with most groups is (a) the test is such that you're not supposed to be able to practice to get better at it, and (b) there is disdain for those who don't get it. some clubs meet one of those two conditions but it's rare for them to meet both.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Is it an INFP thing? I think, from what I've seen and heard so far, you guys tend to be writers more than anything, but he's also one of those types that actually pays attention to, and remembers, alot of facts, mostly cultural, historical, and trivial, but not number-oriented.
    I'm very good at math, and have several INFP friends who are too.
    And that about remembering facts? Lot's of us do that. It's the Tertiary Si in action.