• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The mbti manual says there's an 11 point difference between N and S types, in favor of N types of course.

I actually did estimates last year and at highest estimates it was less than that.
I rather not enter in details, I don't wanna be a 2008 meme.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
In my case it depends on situation. Upper average to very high. Memory and focus problems from trauma or ongoing extreme stress tend to tank IQ because it's more difficult to perform tasks. The higher score I got was when I was going on pure Ne-Te.
I got very high when I was 11. My worst score was when I was a teen in abusive toxic private high school - average, then I recovered to above average when I was in my first normal high school when I was around 18.That was the last one. I don't think these were Raven's matrix tests, though, so there could be some errors from me not knowing some stuff from school.
I did some experiments with IQtestdk and got 108 when I was in extremely stressful financial situation and had serious problems with attention and memory, then I got 130 when I recovered a bit half a year later and also was focusing on Ne-Te.

I actually did estimates last year and at highest estimates it was less than that.
I rather not enter in details, I don't wanna be a 2008 meme.
How would you even do such an estimation? There's no reliable type data in the first place since there are no reliable typing tests.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Eh, it's hard to separate this from insecurities and ego in a casual discussion. IQ itself is not useless, but I question the merit of combining it with MBTI for anything meaningful.

elfsprin

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...
I’m an INTp.

The highest I’ve tested is 156, but I usually test around 142. But, importantly, that’s on IQ tests that are testing for pattern recognition.

If a test is heavy on retaining facts like names and dates I’ll bomb it.

I also have below average to average EQ, and I’m working on that.

It’s all relative to what’s being tested.

But yeah, if you need someone who can find the hidden patterns I’m your person lol.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't have much faith in IQ scores. The fact that people get better at them with practice indicates that they aren't measuring anything fundamental. Mostly they attempt to measure what might be described as logical, mathematical or scientific intelligence because it was invented by people who were logical, mathematical and scientific. When a bunch of emotionally aware psychologists tried to to rate intelligence, they came up with EQ. When a group of sales attempted them same thing, they invented capitalism.

The types with the highest IQ score will be those most likely to develop the related skills in formal logical thought and pattern spotting. You can probably work those out for yourself. How much a high or low IQ score means is another question.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
It never seizes to amaze me the fascination with IQ. Of all the kids in my high-school class, the ones who were the most successful were the ones with the lowest IQ and the most heinous of work ethics. Of course, without a high IQ and a good work ethic, it's harder to become a professional, but it's much easier to become wealthy.

Clearly the most important intelligence when it comes to monetary success is not IQ or work ethic.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It never seizes to amaze me the fascination with IQ. Of all the kids in my high-school class, the ones who were the most successful were the ones with the lowest IQ and the most heinous of work ethics. Of course, without a high IQ and a good work ethic, it's harder to become a professional, but it's much easier to become wealthy.

Clearly the most important intelligence when it comes to monetary success is not IQ or work ethic.
Yep the number of people who think it means something to have some trait that you never use- like lazy gifted people- is sad. You don’t ask to be born a certain way. If you are smart, you are smart and that’s great. But it’s no more of an accomplishment or something to brag about than having curly hair or brown eyes or anything else that really has nothing to do with your choices.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
What I'm saying is that having a high IQ and working hard don't correlate to much. Most of the people who are successful do not work hard and do not have high IQ's. They are generally just average people in terms of IQ and work ethic. They are incredibly gifted however in political maneuvers and social intelligence...which is diametrically opposed to IQ.

Is that what you're saying too?

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...
On the big five, the openness trait is the only trait associated with IQ, and the closest match to the openness trait on the MBTI I would say is Intuitive,(N) which also links to creativity.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
What I'm saying is that having a high IQ and working hard don't correlate to much. Most of the people who are successful do not work hard and do not have high IQ's. They are generally just average people in terms of IQ and work ethic. They are incredibly gifted however in political maneuvers and social intelligence...which is diametrically opposed to IQ.

Is that what you're saying too?
IQ and a strong work ethic, or high in conscientiousness are the biggest predictors of high earnings and success.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The reason that some types have a higher IQ is that the questions relate to certain cognitive functions.

Fi probably isn't really covered by IQ.

Ni doms are the most intelligent but that doesn't mean they have the highest IQs.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9

I can't help an impression that it focuses on exceptional cases, ignoring vast majority of low IQ people.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
The reason that some types have a higher IQ is that the questions relate to certain cognitive functions.

Ni doms are the most intelligent but that doesn't mean they have the highest IQs.
One of the problems with IQ tests is that they are pressured tests, and not everybody is good under pressure, they may-be more susceptible to anxiety and stress which doesn't seem to be connected to intelligence. So more connected to trait neuroticism on the big five.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
One of the problems with IQ tests is that they are pressured tests, and not everybody is good under pressure, they may-be more susceptible to anxiety and stress which doesn't seem to be connected to intelligence. So more connected to trait neuroticism on the big five.
High neuroticism doesn't equate to test anxiety.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx

INFPs, according to statistics, are among the types with highest IQ/most populating the gifted classes.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Yep the number of people who think it means something to have some trait that you never use- like lazy gifted people- is sad. You don’t ask to be born a certain way. If you are smart, you are smart and that’s great. But it’s no more of an accomplishment or something to brag about than having curly hair or brown eyes or anything else that really has nothing to do with your choices.
I agree with this, but I also think people in general tend to see confidence or casually speaking about a gift as boasting. If you don't act like you hate yourself, people think you're not humble.

A while back, I asked for a comment here to be deleted because my IQ placed me in the top 1% range statistically, and then I thought my dad lied about it. My mom said he did. Yet, when I finally pulled out the answer from her, she said the same number my dad had been saying (and did not know what number he had said)...*eye roll* so, he had not been lying about it, it was just the usual "ew, my ex is a monster" wars.

I share that as prerequisite to sharing how I cannot even insomuch as share what my IQ *IS*, much less talk about any problems I have related to it, without being seen as (and treated poorly as though I'm) an egotistical prick for it. Every "blessing" has a "curse" side; the left isn't better than the right, it's just a different set of pros and cons. A lot of those with high IQ are actually special needs *because* of IQ, but those needs aren't being met, nor are they even socially acceptable to even talk about. These subjects result in being misunderstood if you speak openly about them. People often have the tendency to mistake their own insecurity/discomfort for being your ego.

Those who truly are bragging when they talk about their IQ are often just puffing up out of insecurity about their intelligence because they're not actually that smart. The rest aren't bragging, they're just being falsely accused of doing so. Do you know how many people think this video is just a meme?
It's not a meme. It's a real issue those with higher intelligence often do have. The subatomic particles example might be a shoddy one, but the underlying concept about his problems is real. There can be a deep, persistent sense of loneliness/isolation. People think, "if you're really that smart, you should be able to communicate to others, bla bla." People don't account for how much effort and patience that requires, and how isolating that still can be. They don't account for a lot of other things I won't go into here. A lot of emotional needs just go unmet because the second anyone finds out your points are high, you're dismissed as an arrogant dick.

The ones who truly are boasting about it are often just people who are insecure about their intelligence and lying about it to feel better about themselves. The rest, the ones who genuinely have higher than average IQ, are often just burdened by another set of problems that makes it feel almost like a curse at times. That curse side is humbling and can almost make you wish you didn't have a high IQ, thus there's not so much boasting when it's genuinely high.

People also mistake impatience for arrogance. When smart people are dicks, it's a lot of times from impatience with others, not because they think they're oh so much better. This is, once again, a case of emotional needs (related to their frustrations with other people, etc) going unmet. Having these problems is a social taboo, though.

Last edited:

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't help an impression that it focuses on exceptional cases, ignoring vast majority of low IQ people.
Pretty much every C and B student I know, from the three high schools I went to, over 1000 people, the ones with the average IQ's are wealthy and the nerds like me can make six figures but only as professionals. The ones with C's and B's started businesses or are directors of marketing now making half a million at least.

Sure with a high IQ you can be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, part of the priest class...but the mercenaries make the big bucks and for that you need a different kind of intelligence than IQ which is basically being a scribe.