Thread: MBTI Type and I.Q.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, not generally speaking, because the ISTJ way of thinking isn't even bent toward Ti/Ne abstract theorizing, which is part of what makes academia so annoying, that it seems "unnecessary" or "pretentious"...to some people, some of those people being ISTJs because Si/Te is like THE MOST PRACTICAL THING ON EARTH.

Academic intelligence really is the domain of NTs, but especially NTPs, and if you know anyone with 4 degrees, and none of them in anything remotely useful, it's probably an INTP 80% of the time.

STJs make the world go round, but NTPs are the philosophers.
    [Taking the following definition of "academic intelligence"; "determining factor in one's ability to manage formal school education; the ability to learn, process and repeat information."]

Have you been in academia lately? STJs thrive there. Memorizing passages verbatim? ISTJs. Memorizing page numbers and who said what in footnote 33? ISTJs. Memorizing facts? ISTJs. Academic work is 99% memorization and organization. You organize your research, your notes, your books, your articles, your citations. Writing a publishable article takes months of steady, meticulous work; writing a book takes years. All of these things are STJ areas of strength.

In all honesty, any type of person can have high academic intelligence. My adviser, for instance, was an ISFP (who is a sonuvabitch, but I digress...) If we're going to go by the strengths of types in general, though, and not of individuals, I see no reason why STJs would not have an equal if not higher level of academic intelligence than most types (even NTs.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Certified Sausage Smoker Array Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    [Taking the following definition of "academic intelligence"; "determining factor in one's ability to manage formal school education; the ability to learn, process and repeat information."]

Have you been in academia lately? STJs thrive there. Memorizing passages verbatim? ISTJs. Memorizing page numbers and who said what in footnote 33? ISTJs. Memorizing facts? ISTJs. Academic work is 99% memorization and organization. You organize your research, your notes, your books, your articles, your citations. Writing a publishable article takes months of steady, meticulous work; writing a book takes years. All of these things are STJ areas of strength.

In all honesty, any type of person can have high academic intelligence. My adviser, for instance, was an ISFP (who is a sonuvabitch, but I digress...) If we're going to go by the strengths of types in general, though, and not of individuals, I see no reason why STJs would not have an equal if not higher level of academic intelligence than most types (even NTs.)
    it's true. academia requires way more sensing than intuition (and being way more J than P). most NPs are like "WTF is going on?"

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Is this the real definition of academic intelligence? Perhaps it is, but it is very different than what it seems like the term should mean based on the definitions of the two words seperately. Perhaps this definition is S-biased

Academic work is 99% memorization and organization.
    What field is this in? Perhaps this could work in very limited fields and in elementary/secondary school. But I don't know what university class is going to not require TONS of abstract thinking. Organization is a huge part of getting the stuff done to get the grade, and there need to be facts memorized first, but college is going to require those facts to be analyzed, criticized, synthesized, connectified, and eventually generated into new ideas. SJs can do this stuff for sure, but I think the NTs have a slight edge in terms of interest here.

MBTI
    ENTP

"In high school, Richard Feynman's (who was a fucking genius) IQ was determined to be 125: high, but "merely respectable" according to biographer Gleick. Feynman later scoffed at psychometric testing."

-Wikipedia

If this isn't proof of how DUMB useless iq tests are then I don't know what is.

This also proves our inability to quantify intelligence.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I always have to think of the aryan - überhuman when I read genius. Men that would have been cool if we germans had all been genius and the rest of the world not
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

MBTI
    ENTP

Richard Feynman was also jewish.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Ha ! They prolly misspelled it and it should have sounded the aryan untermensch as in "not so clever". Dunno, there's more to it or less
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    "In high school, Richard Feynman's (who was a fucking genius) IQ was determined to be 125: high, but "merely respectable" according to biographer Gleick. Feynman later scoffed at psychometric testing.".
    Yeah, that's always been something I've been amused by. 125 is hardly unintelligent though. Even if he was higher, it's not like that would be out of the realm of his expertise. I like that he was proud of it too.

At one of the weekly Physics Colloquia, Feynman came in carrying an issue of OMNI magazine. They had just interviewed him, and he thought the magazine was kind of cool. Then the issue with him in it appeared on the news stands, a big picture of his face on the cover and the title, "World's Smartest Man". This bothered Feynman, who didn't really like that kind of talk. To add to the weirdness, there was a companion article about the world's smartest woman, someone from MENSA who had scored over 200 on an IQ test. Feynman enjoyed pointing out that his IQ was very modest, like 120-something. Of course, people into puzzles and IQ tests can practice their score up to very high levels, which then means absolutely nothing.

Secondly, people who skyrocket into 180 or something confuse me. There's room for some, but many must be taking some silly facebook test. Marilyn Vos Savant is a 185, for example (I don't know which test though). She's among the highest. All of the sudden, there's little geniuses sprouting up everywhere. Personally, I'm intelligent enough to ask "WTF is going on?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Talking IQ points without saying which test and which scale is completely useless anyway. If anything, go by percentile (as in "in the 98th percentile").
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah...I took a test like that, I though it was more accurate than an IQ, since it compared my results with the results of other people. And it didn't claim itself to be an intelligence test. Just a pattern test.
    And I love patterns