• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What has happened is the average IQ gone up over time (called the Flynn Effect), meaning the various IQ tests have had to be re-calibrated over time. In effect, IQ tests have become harder, to balance out people tending to be better at what IQ tests measure. IQ largely measures abstract reasoning, which makes one wonder if people are functionally becoming more "N" over time.

Another implication of this is that people who had a certain IQ on a test twenty years ago, may not score the same today, even if they are equally intelligent (in the sense that IQ measures). Also, IQ isn't necessarily static over the lifespan, so people's IQ scores can go up or down as they age.
this was what i was talking about thank you.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What has happened is the average IQ has gone up over time (called the Flynn Effect), meaning the various IQ tests have had to be re-calibrated over time. In effect, IQ tests have become harder, to balance out people tending to be better at what IQ tests measure. IQ largely measures abstract reasoning, which makes one wonder if people are functionally becoming more "N" over time.

Another implication of this is that people who had a certain IQ on a test twenty years ago may not score the same today, even if they are equally intelligent (in the sense that IQ measures). Also, IQ isn't necessarily static over the lifespan, so people's IQ scores can go up or down as they age.

It's also important to keep in mind that IQ measures a narrow band of intelligence. I think of someone like my dad, who isn't necessarily super mentally quick (though he's not slow), but who is amazingly self-disciplined and focused. He applies his intelligent much more effectively than many, and to greater results.

Yup. When I said "100 has to be moved", I meant the test has to be recalibrated as people do better. I guess I didn't express myself particularly well, but I went through a phase in my adolescence where I was obsessed with intelligence, so I remember the Flynn effect well (That reminds me of a book Flynn wrote about "g" that I found interesting back in the day, I'm going to have to dig that up now!). And don't worry, I don't equate IQ with intelligence. I remember scoring like 80 in like grade 4, so the adults in my life made quite a point to explain to me that a bad score didn't mean I was dumb. Although in truth, their desperation to reassure me only made me feel worse.

Unlike your father, I don't get much use out of my brain, due to my pathetic attention span. I have been trying to build up my mental focus and discipline for years, but I find it very difficult.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
i think most people inflate their iqs. I read something recently that said iq score average has gone up since the tests first came out. I don't think we're smarter though.

Actually, I suspect that we are physically and mentally weaker than past generations.

Bullet

If anyone has declared their IQ in this thread based upon random online tests, smack yourself in the face. Those aren't legitimate indicators.

Last edited:

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Not really, I'd say some types are more concerned with IQ than others, but not necessarily

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
If anyone has declared their IQ in this thread based on random online tests, smack yourself in the face. Those aren't legitimate indicators.

That's fortunate, my last one was 83.

Actually, I suspect that we are physically and mentally weaker than past generations.

Well nature grows through pressure, pressure to change or adapt and pressure from conflict. We still have pressures and conflicts of course, but in many 'first world' countries those pressures are stagnant and largely about security than growth or change.

So this induces generations of people who might never face the desperate pressures, (of previous generations), that influence growth from adversity. Of course individually there are exceptions, but those aren't the rule. But I've read other reasons as well, this is just a teeny...weeny thought I had. Also I've got no science, just a vague notion.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Well nature grows through pressure, pressure to change or adapt and pressure from conflict. We still have pressures and conflicts of course, but in many 'first world' countries those pressures are stagnant and largely about security than growth or change.

So this induces generations of people who might never face the desperate pressures, (of previous generations), that influence growth from adversity. Of course individually there are exceptions, but those aren't the rule. But I've read other reasons as well, this is just a teeny...weeny thought I had. Also I've got no science, just a vague notion.

Sitting at home watching TV and surfing Facebook, Instagram etc for hours on end does nothing except turn your brain to mush. At least I occasionally learn something on here.

I also have a suspicion that poor diet (high sugar foods + preservatives, hormones etc) and genetically unfit people being kept alive and breeding are lowering the population's average intelligence over time.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i think most people inflate their iqs. I read something recently that said iq score average has gone up since the tests first came out. I don't think we're smarter though.

that'd be the Flynn effect, which stated that over time the average iq scores have risen over time since the test was created... of course more recent studies say that since the 90s scores in western countries have been dropping again. :shrug:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Sitting at home watching TV and surfing Facebook, Instagram etc for hours on end does nothing except turn your brain to mush. At least I occasionally learn something on here.

I also have a suspicion that poor diet (high sugar foods + preservatives, hormones etc) and genetically unfit people being kept alive and breeding are lowering the population's average intelligence over time.

:shrug:

That's sort of what I meant.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If anyone has declared their IQ in this thread based upon random online tests, smack yourself in the face. Those aren't legitimate indicators.

Yes, they should use the mensas online test instead of some random one

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yes. They talked about this on psychology class. If i remember correctly, they need to ramp up the scores with something like 3 in every 10 years because for some reason people score better on the test and the average needs to stay at 100.

So if you made the test 30 years ago and scored 100, you would be scoring something like 91 from todays tests.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. They talked about this on psychology class. If i remember correctly, they need to ramp up the scores with something like 3 in every 10 years because for some reason people score better on the test and the average needs to stay at 100.

So if you made the test 30 years ago and scored 100, you would be scoring something like 91 from todays tests.

Although, as was said up thread, there are signs that the Flynn effect may have reversed since the the late 90s.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mine's 134 on a Weschler test I took as I kid. I got 141 on the verbal portion. (The performance portion was somewhere between 125 and 110, though.)

Love me.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think all the 16 types has excellent features, we’re talking bout this in 2014.. imagine, this is the result after billion years of living in this planet.
IQ, to me, is one thing from what’s called “Intelligence”.
The Quality of the available affordable IQ tests are very low, so the results are very inaccurate at first place.
But Remember…
ALL the types are well made, ALL the types are intelligent, there’re no type better than other, they’re different but equal in value.
It’s only about variety, which is very good to exist in kinds of beings.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ah one more thing we can say when we’re talking about the relation of the word “MBTI” and the word “IQ”
Some personality types are suitable (less effort) to have IQ.
On the other hand, the rest of the types are suitable to have EQ.

I personally define Intelligence as processing speed of brain.
I believe all the types are capable of having IQ or EQ by practising effortful ways to increase it.
But as both of the intelligence types are as valuable as each other..
Stop the unnecessary effort to make better results by working in where you fit.

Enough said, I can explain further though.
Checkmate.

Tippo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think the intj is the smartest, as I've utilized them many times in acquiring my wealth. I love the intj!!!