User Tag List

First 2634353637384686 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

the normative group N = 9320 kids 11-12 grade, data is adapted from atlas of type tables...

I don't know what that means... but I'd still querie the 500-odd ENTP's simply doesn't make sense. As it currently report more than half the same is missing from the numbers in the N column.

Don't know and without more info it's unlikely we cna unpick it

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    The N column is the number in the gifted sample. So the ENTPs are being shown as common among gifted students. And why do people think ENTPs are only 1% of the population? I know plenty of ENTPs, they are the most common NT type.
    I did a primary nat rep survey of the UK population and it came up with ENTP = 1%, when compared with online statistics of 3%....
    UK
    75% = S type
    20% = N type
    5% were unclassified firmly

Compared with stats online

79% S type
    22% N type

in the data posted previously the N is the normative not the gifted

PLEASE also note it says normative not normal group... hence it's a test sample V's the gifted sample, we don't know the definition of Normative

Enough, there is not evenough information here

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

The N is the gifted. If 548 was 4.89%(ENTP) of the total how is 188 14.97%(ESTJ) of the total?
    The N matches the percentages of gifted rather than that of the norm group.

Edit:
    The 16 seems to say they used 16 separate samples to get the results. They had a total of 19 samples they received. The information was created by combining the work of other people and the 16 is simply saying they only used 16 or their 19 samples. That doesn't mean there were only 16 people of each type.

The sample size for the Normative group is the 9320, the sample size for the Gifted group is 4828, the sum of the N column. The results are shown as percentages since the samples are different sizes.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't think math is an Intuitive pursuit at all. Math isn't really abstract -- at least not in the Intuitive sense. Contrarily, it's detail-oriented factual logic and highly systematic. Math is problem solving concerned with finding a definite answer -- very ISTP- or ISTJ-ish if you ask me.

The INTP and INTJ would be more comfortable with flawed logic, because N is open to fanciful rather than systematic thinking. Hence, contrary to popular belief, the INTP and INTJ are not nitpicking types.

Let's review that the N isn't about intelligence, it's about creative thinking. Math is quite the opposite way of thinking.
    I haven't read the whole discussion but when I read comments like this, I must say that I disagree. Mathematical logic can be very creative and inventive, artistic even. Math is not just random numbers and solving problems with the help of boring formulas that you don't even understand anything about, even though math is sadly often taught like that in schools.

Btw, I suggest that everyone who thinks that math is boring and uncreative read this: http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

I am an INFx and I used to think that I'm an INFP but then I started studying theoretical math as my minor at a university, and as I'm often thinking about logical problems now, I cannot relate to the descriptions of INFPs any more, as most of the descriptions say that INFPs dislike logic and tend not to be very good at it. So I can't think of myself as an INFP any more, not now that I have discovered the world of math, not when according to the "rules" I should detest logic.

Calculating is fun but that's not the part about math (I accidentally wrote "magic" at first! lol) that I love. The part that I love is thinking deeply and philosophically about things like infinity and limits. To me, there's a whole different universe hidden in the world of math, a universe that we humans can only vaguely understand. It's fascinating.

I don't think that I'm very naturally talented at math... at least the online I tests that I have taken have indicated that I have an IQ that is just a little above average. But still, I have done quite well in my studies. I guess I have enough talent in any case and, combined with it, a lot of fascination and imagination, the latter being what really makes me "good" at math.

MBTI
    intp

In school I was good at every subject... well, I didn't have very high grades in gym, but anyway, my language teachers especially thought that I'm talented and I got top grades in psychology... So why did I choose math? Because it is more interesting and fascinating! So I may have a way with words sometimes, but playing with words doesn't give me better understanding of the world. I may be good at remembering theories in psychology, but have I really learnt anything *that* fascinating in psychology? Nope. Sometimes psychology even irritates me because it categorises people in such unfair ways, like who's normal and who's not normal and which child is in danger of becoming aggressive as an adult. Blah.

I don't mean to berate language skills and human studies, I'm just saying that math can be very fascinating and relevant, and at least to me it gives a sense that I'm learning something new about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    Why T and N are important traits for doing math? Math is all about learn a set of pre-existing systems and apply them correctly. Math, just as logic, are ways of though that are develloped sigles ago
    No, math is not about learning pre-existing theories. It is about understanding them... re-eventing them, even!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    Brilliant. I love it.

Ti smackdown of runaway Te, but I may be biased in my classification.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Well I don't think the two relate. I'm an enfp, and last time I was tested it was at 165. Though I'm fairly sure it just matters where you apply. I'm not very academic, so maybe those points are wasting away!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've never took an IQ test (well not an official one) but I imagine that the result would be quite low. I freak out on tests, I feel under pressure. I'm better if I have had time to plan. That's why I liked coursework so much at school, I had time to perfect things. In a test if you mess up, you mess up. Doesn't really measure one's intelligence or potential IMO.
    "Dad I can't feel my legs."

"That's because you don't have any arms."

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    In a test if you mess up, you mess up. Doesn't really measure one's intelligence or potential IMO.
    To some extent, potential means not messing up while being under pressure.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...
    I'm sure there is a connection. But why would you trust such an outdated invention as the IQ anyway?
    I'm not clever enough to have a signature.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: