User Tag List

Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: MBTI Type and I.Q.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    What is really terrible is being XNTP and not bright.

Listening to people talking about how brilliant they are in some ways, yet saying that they are not special and it doesn't even matter.... it's like nails on a chalkboard. I.Q. in itself is not intelligence, but it is at least one type of intelligence that is sometimes necessary for everyday activities. Lack of IQ related talents can be really painful to someone whose main goal in life is to learn.

</bitter, jealous rant of a non-gifted INTP>
    Argh! I feel intimidated in INTP land, but for an INTP to.. My sympathies are definitely with you.

Don't worry about wasted talents though. NFPs use theirs quite well. Reward based achievement is just not normally at the top of our goals. Something which drives both my INFJ mother and INTP father nuts. But I'm always looking for something more concrete than a piece of paper that says I can do what I know I can do. I'm pretty thankful for what I've been given. Just when it is approached the wrong way it gets shut down rather than enhanced, which is what the school thing was about. Being an NFP, MENSA puzzles are not what I'm built to solve, just something I can solve. Schools often don't make this distinction between focus and ability though. If I was an INTP rather than an ENFP I would be more likely to hold these things in higher esteem. But I'm built for psychological and social systems, and scientific systems with human related goals. Or finding wonders about life and the universe. Logic and theory alone are not always fulfilling.

Why do you say you are non-gifted also? If your main goal in life is to learn, learning is what you will do. It doesn't need to be quantum field theory or anything. Having the will to learn is worth a lot.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I would think you are bright.
    I don't think IQ is important. My personal experience is a prime example.
    To learn, well, what higher princple is there?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Hehe, ENTPs can rest easily in this domain.

I've been trying to confirm my type and this might be helpful. What type of questions do other ENFPs get wrong on I.Q. tests? And what do ENTPs get wrong?

On the introverted intuitive thing I know some very high I.Q. INTPs. On the crap online test I saw many ENTPs scoring 150+ also.
    There are two ways of calculating iq, - in serious tests i mean - in the us I believe you often use the cattell or similar tests. While the weschler, used in europe basically stops at 150. Higher iqs are less reliable since very rare and it gets harder to know if the test scoring system stays accurate and adapted. So if somebody got over 150 IQ it basically means he or she took a less discriminating one.

150 WAIS-R IQ is 180 cattell IQ.

Weschler
    65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 110 115 120 125 130 135 140 145 150
    Cattell
    44 52 60 68 76 84 92 100 108 116 124 132 140 148 156 164 172 180
    distribution for Weschler: 125 5% -- 135 1% -- 140IQ 4\1000 -- 145IQ 1\1000

Here, just giving the data. And it's of course about real tests, and remember those statistics where mainly made with people doing this test at an age when they didn't have complex methods and formations that could help them. They (me included) where confronted to such things for the first time in their lives.

Any adult will have done similar tests at least once, at work, given by friends or whatever.

Statistically they also were just feeling 'average' at that time.

My experience: Took an official iq test at 13, had high fever after 4 days of swinging between 39 and 41 degrees celcius.
    I was under stress because of the forementioned sickness+iq test AND by the exam I had JUST after the damn test.

So when people take the test at twenty something, did similar problem solving already, probably tried some iq tests online. They should remember that usually people didn't have this 'luck' and were facing something completely new and unexpected.

edit: the standford binet test also seems to be inflated compared to the WAIS-R
    The SD-16 iq : 146-147 wais R iq is 150 SD-16 IQ
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    The SD-16 iq : 146-147 wais R iq is 150 SD-16 IQ
    IIRC:

Wais should be SD 15, I think is considered fairly valid up to 4 devs (40-160). It does have two categories and 11 types of questions (? for Wais-R, I think... might be 18 or so for the IV) and is normalized within age groups as well.

MBTI
    INTP

Intp=162

Contact MENSA in Texas. You take the test in a room suprivised.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by JordanLane View Post
    Intp=162

Contact MENSA in Texas. You take the test in a room suprivised.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone joining MENSA, unless they're looking to meet similar people. That seemed to be the only benefit. The crowd was older as well. That may have just been my experience though.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I didn't think I was special. For the longest time I thought I wasn't that bright. It just turns out I was out of synch with the rest of my year. I had already been put up, a year. Also I had several learning disabilities as well, so I wasn't "obvious". My mother was also dead set against me getting special treatment, or even telling me. I found out on my last day of high school.
    It's hard being seen as the brainy kid. I wouldn't necessarily wish on any one, so I empathise with you. I do wish there were special programs in my school, but there were so many kids with severe learning problems, they couldn't afford the man power to cater for those on the other side of the scale.
    I don't consider myself elite, I consider myself as someone who wasted their gifts. There are some sites around if you want to check it out. It's an issue I haven't really address in my self yet. I can't quite face it yet.
    P.S. I know exactly what you mean about being XNFP, and bright. It kinda cuts you off from people, and really that's the last thing you want.
    what kind of learning disabilties?

Senior Member Array Valhallahereicome's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w7
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    What is really terrible is being XNTP and not bright.

Listening to people talking about how brilliant they are in some ways, yet saying that they are not special and it doesn't even matter.... it's like nails on a chalkboard. I.Q. in itself is not intelligence, but it is at least one type of intelligence that is sometimes necessary for everyday activities. Lack of IQ related talents can be really painful to someone whose main goal in life is to learn.

</bitter, jealous rant of a non-gifted INTP>
    I would definitely agree here. I'm borderline T/F and kind of suck at both. Not greatly empathic and not brilliantly inventive either. And I do love learning and developing new systems of seeing the world - if only I was smarter, I could know and understand SO much more by now. As it is - well, this is kinda embarrassing, but I will read books by great thinkers or strike up conversations with bright people and then steal their ideas. Not copy them blindly, mind you, but dissect them and refine them with the intellectual skills I have. If I were to try and come up with those ideas on my own, well, it would take forever.

Intuition also helps. In high school, we had to read Plato and I think it was he who said that there are two ways of arriving at the truth: Logical reasoning and intuition. When you intuit a truth, you can work your way backwards with reason to see if it makes sense. It's like the difference between hacking your way through untouched jungle toward an unseen destination, and following a rough but pre-existing path back from your endpoint to your starting point to see if the endpoint matches the destination you had in mind. For those of us who aren't gifted explorers, the latter is the best option.

Anyway, I tend to score INFP on the MBTI and ENTP on socionics and my IQ hovers around the upper 120s.

MBTI
    xSTP

I think anyone can have a high IQ. I think in regard to a high IQ and an ISTP it allows us to reverse engineer things like crazy. And no I am not talking about hacking.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Damn it! I took that test with the hopes of getting an IQ score. Instead it said "Your score was 26 out of 30. That is an excellent scoreyou would have a very strong chance of passing the Mensa test and joining Mensa." Bah! :steam:

Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast