First 9101112132161 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's interesting how F's are slightly higher than T's in the higher IQ range.

Funny, because IQ questions are both abstract (N) and logical (T).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It's interesting how F's are slightly higher than T's in the higher IQ range.

Funny, because IQ questions are both abstract (N) and logical (T).
    And I have seen studies conclude the opposite. However, basically all studies show there is almost no correlation between the T/F dichotomy and IQ. But yeah, personally I would be very interested in studying MBTI function theory in light of IQ tests.

MBTI
    yupp

I know how to think logically. I've learned how over the years, I just prefer not to. And I tend think abstractly and people are often confused about what I'm talking about because I talk to much in the abstract even though it makes perfect sense to me.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    And I have seen studies conclude the opposite. However, basically all studies show there is almost no correlation between the T/F dichotomy and IQ. But yeah, personally I would be very interested in studying MBTI function theory in light of IQ tests.
    Remember, these are only tallies within his dataset. An example of how this matters is that there are more males at the top and bottom ends of IQ, leading to more Ts at the top and bottom. Likewise, there were substantially more older (and thus lower N/greater T/Lower IQ) subjects, etc.

So, a wide margin of error should be included when comparing it to the total population. (edit: Let me rephrase that... the generalities taken from this study should be given a wide margin of error when trying to be specific about the general population)

(One plausible explanation for having Ns as a higher IQ is that age factors into the degree of openness, and IQ decreases over age... making age the common factor that makes it appear that N is related directly to IQ. By plausible, I mean that there are alternative explanations... the data can be cut in a lot of ways.)

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

I am confused with data...

Is it not true that in the US population, we have more Es than Is?

If that is so, why is the % of Is in the sample greater than Es for all categories?

You're sampling 1000ish ppl... this isn't likely to be randomized... can we trust the data?

Or unless I'm a complete idiot that can't read the table properly... please explain?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Is it not true that in the US population, we have more Es than Is?
    No, there are more Is than Es (by about 1-2% - Estimated Frequencies of Types - CAPT.org )

If that is so, why is the % of Is in the sample greater than Es for all categories?
    It's higher than population... well, it's within the high end of the population, so still reasonable.

You're sampling 1000ish ppl... this isn't likely to be randomized... can we trust the data?
    Yup, it should be enough. In this case, it is the instruments being used that cause a lot of the distortion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think an N can only score a high IQ if he can think logically.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think an N can only score a high IQ if he can think logically.
    It's pretty obvious. It's like saying you have to be good in math to get a good math grade. However, remember that the T/F dichotomy doesn't measure the ability to use logic. And also remember IQ is about a lot more than ability to think logically, it's rather more about being able to see connections and patterns. Usually they are not very demanding in the logic department.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    (One plausible explanation for having Ns as a higher IQ is that age factors into the degree of openness, and IQ decreases over age... making age the common factor that makes it appear that N is related directly to IQ. By plausible, I mean that there are alternative explanations... the data can be cut in a lot of ways.)
    Does the Sensing preference increase with age? Would that not mean that older Intuitives who are close to the Sensing-Intuitive borderline would cross over the border and become Sensing types?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Does the Sensing preference increase with age? Would that not mean that older Intuitives who are close to the Sensing-Intuitive borderline would cross over the border and become Sensing types?
    I guess that depends on how you view MBTI theory. Some say type doesn't change, but if you are a behaviourist it does, and it would seem plausible people get more S-ish as they age. When we age, we gain more experience, and it does seem pretty plausible most of us will rely more and more on that experience–that as we gain experience, it will dominate us more and more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :wubbie:
  • :smile:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: