User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 71

  1. #61
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    That's not what I said and it wasn't a subjective comment, what I said was "You are in a thread titled introverted ENTPs and the common theme seems to be that most ENTPs consider themselves somewhat introverted" read the posts in here, they do. I'm talking about the ENTPs who are here, right now, in this thread.
    I know it's a hairsplit, but we are not talking about most ENTPs, but a few. I am sure there are a few INTPs that consider themselves extraverted, but you will see them change their type which means they don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Qs post explained it well. ENTPs can be somewhat uninterested in socialising with people and yes that is part of what can be defined as extroversion when taking tests which would again result in people being mistyped.
    Which is why tests are the worse way to determine your type. What you are defining is people who have not truly determined their type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Jump onto the simple MBTI test on personality pathways and the description for extroversion is

    Two of the points mention people, someone without a deeper understanding of how big of a role the 'things' part can play in an ENTPs world could very easily mistype themselves.
    Egads go to the person who coined the phrase and he will tell you what his definition is. He never alludes to extraverts and people, especially since ISF types generally enjoy socializing. It's not even a close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    ??

    Come again?

    I live in my head, that does not make me an introvert.
    You are kidding right? Please show me anywhere that claims a dominant extraverted function lives within it's head? For that fact (which I continue to say is the most rudimentary means of discussing type) find a definition of the "E" dichtomoy that relates to living in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Again, unless you're claiming that people on this forum who claim ENTP are mistyped then this is yet another reason why ENTPs can be mistyped.
    The ENTP type is not mistyped, it's mere human error that people mistype as something because they take a very small portion and apply it instead of seeing the picture as a whole. People will continue to not get type if they continue to use elementary criteria, mainly E/I, S/N..... Learn the cognitive functions and it takes the guess work out of what is extraversion/introversion. Again basic principle, E/I merely relates to whether the energy is directed out or in.

  2. #62
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    You seem to be flatly rejecting the idea that ENTPs can feel more introverted than other E types despite what ENTPs are saying.

    Your assumption seems to be that me or any other ENTP who makes this claim doesn't understand what the I/E dichotomies mean or aren't looking at the big picture or cognitive functions and if that is the case you are dead wrong.

    My mistake was assuming your post saying that you "can't see how the type can mistake themselves as anything but extravert" meant that you'd want input so you could gain understanding as to how it could easily happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by ?
    What you are defining is people who have not truly determined their type.
    Umm, yeah... That's what mistyped means and that's my point... What are you failing to understand?

    1. It is quite easy to mistype as introverted if you are an ENTP and haven't gained an in-depth knowledge of MBTI.
    2. ENTPs are often more introverted than other extroverts.

    Quote Originally Posted by ?
    You are kidding right? Please show me anywhere that claims a dominant extraverted function lives within it's head? For that fact (which I continue to say is the most rudimentary means of discussing type) find a definition of the "E" dichtomoy that relates to living in the head.
    So your stance is that E's can't have an inner world?

    You think I's have the patent on that?

    Learn the cognitive functions and it takes the guess work out of what is extraversion/introversion.
    Because clearly there's a megga-massive difference between Ne-Ti and Ti-Ne so anyone new to MBTI wouldn't get confused in any way :rolli:

  3. #63
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    You seem to be flatly rejecting the idea that ENTPs can feel more introverted than other E types despite what ENTPs are saying.

    Your assumption seems to be that me or any other ENTP who makes this claim doesn't understand what the I/E dichotomies mean or aren't looking at the big picture or cognitive functions and if that is the case you are dead wrong.
    It's another silly notion that NTs have a uniqueness about them that is not conveyed in other types. Thats simple bullshit. ESTPs can make the same argument as well as ESTJs and ENTJs. The fact that you claim ENTPs are introverted is simply because only ENTPs are responding. Whatever you are claiming is introversion (as yet defined) can be caused by depression, exhaustion, etc. True extraversion and true introversion has nothing to do with whether you like people or prefer to be around people. There are plenty of ISFs that love being around people. Does that make them extraverted? Obviously not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    My mistake was assuming your post saying that you "can't see how the type can mistake themselves as anything but extravert" meant that you'd want input so you could gain understanding as to how it could easily happen.
    And it's still my argument. What is being misunderstood is how extraversion and introversion per type works. You are extraverted because you focus on things outside the self, and introverted because you do the opposite. Does that occur with some sort of rigidity, of course not since you also have an auxiliary and the ability to use all eight functions. However your first notion is to do whatever your dominant funciton dictates, because that is what you do. The more you develop the other functions, the less you are dependent upon your natural dominant function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Umm, yeah... That's what mistyped means and that's my point... What are you failing to understand?
    Then it defeats the claim that ENTPs consider themselves introverts when they have yet to determine their type. So how can they claim to be introverted ENTPs when chances are they are actually introverted types? If I am clueless to my real type, then I can make all sorts of whacky assessments that defy basic principles. But most importantly it only goes to show that discussing type with rudimentary dichotomies creates confusion since you start to look at things as either/or instead of appreciating the fluidity of cogntive functions. I am a dominant Ti which makes my first letter "I". However I can appreciate that on any given day I can use Ne, Si, Te, Ni (or any of the eight functions). Does that make me continue to go willy-nilly on my type? Of course not, I prefer Ti-Se under Jung's definition, which makes me what MBTI would call an ISTP. Whethere I appear to be extraverting more on any given day does not make me an extraverted ISTP since there are logical reasons for why I may be experiencing more energy than normally or appearing more social.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So your stance is that E's can't have an inner world? You think I's have the patent on that?
    What a silly question Trinity, ENTPs dominate with Ne. Ne is not a function that looks within, no more than any other function. When they are using their Ti, they are clearly going within. You continue to claim that you live inside your head. Are you saying that is dominant? If so, then when do you use your Ne? If you clearly prefer to live within, then you are not ENTP, you are some sort of introverted type. That does not mean any extraverted type cannot go within, but it's not their first inclination since they prefer to focus on the object whereas introverted functions are subjective.

  4. #64
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Folks some basic principles are clearly being overlooked in this thread, that has some erroneous claims being made. The first, as I alluded to in post #56, you are equating being social with being with people. Social merely means that you appreciate community. I am highly social since I do take a vested interest in what happens in my community. Does that make me want to be around people? Of course not, because I am not that sociable. Get it right.

    Secondly this whole notion that ENTPs consider themselves introverted is silly. For one reason it's not E/I that makes us people oriented, it's T/F. Crack a book on type and you will determine that thinking types focus on non-human factors whereas feeling types will always consider the human condition in making decisions. IF types gravitate toward people, ET types do not. Does this make me more or less extraverted? It is not relevant.

  5. #65
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ?
    What a silly question Trinity
    Well clearly all my notions are 'silly' and you seem to insist on putting words in my mouth that I haven't said plus this really has gone on too long for my attention span without any progress so, yeah

  6. #66
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    I'm pretty sure most of the disagreement in this thread is due to the different definition of "extroversion"--extroverted functions or an extroverted MBTI type versus social extroversion. Some of those who believe that they're consistent in their definitions are conflating the two, and it's very clear that the OP is talking about social extroversion. This can be explained in terms of the cognitive functions or MBTI type, extroverted or not, but they are not one in the same.

  7. #67
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    You are right Greed, which is why I was attempting for someone to convey what they were connoting as extraversion. Being sociable or not has no relevance to E/I in terms of type and sociable does not equate to being social per the definitions. Saying one is an introverted extravert is an oxymoron, no different than saying you are a thinking feeler or vice versa. They negate one another.

  8. #68
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Saying one is an introverted extravert is an oxymoron, no different than saying you are a thinking feeler or vice versa. They negate one another.
    How about an "MBTI extrovert" who is a "social introvert"? It's not an oxymoron if you're talking about opposites on two different scales.

  9. #69
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    How about an "MBTI extrovert" who is a "social introvert"? It's not an oxymoron if you're talking about opposites on two different scales.
    No what it is, which is what this discussion is about, is an apple/orange comparison. If you are talking about a social extravert then are you actually talking about MBTI and type any longer? I would think not. Whether you are a socially competent has no bearing on type and definitely not on E/I since all SJs regardless of E/I or T/F are naturally social per Keirsey.

  10. #70
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    No what it is, which is what this discussion is about, is an apple/orange comparison. If you are talking about a social extravert then are you actually talking about MBTI and type any longer? I would think not. Whether you are a socially competent has no bearing on type and definitely not on E/I since all SJs regardless of E/I or T/F are naturally social per Keirsey.
    Well, that's exactly my point. MBTI's introversion/extroversion is an "apple" and social introversion/extroversion is an "orange." They have nothing to do with each other.

    Which means that (socially) introverted ENTPs can exist, and, as this thread has shown, they do.

Similar Threads

  1. intps,entp, or nps do you sometimes experience introverted intuition?
    By chado in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM
  2. [ENTP] "introverted" ENTP examples?
    By Malcontent in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
  3. [ENTP] Introverted Sensing in ENTPs
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
  4. Introverted ENTP?
    By Kora in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 07:22 AM
  5. ENTP emerging from the Introverted bacement of awsomeness
    By Shapeless in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 04:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO