User Tag List

First 123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I found this post by pt to be very helpful, Santtu
    It was, the thread is insightful too! thanks!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    When I was a kid, I would get really annoyed, frustrated, and overwhelmed when there were to many people around for too long (I consider this over-stimulation.) so much so that I would tell my mom's guests, "This is my house, and it's time for you to leave."
    Probably not your favourite kind of stimulation for so long time. That is quite a graceful way to handle the issue.. running out of mental reserves could incite worse behaviour from a person :>

MBTI
    INTJ

An E gets energized at a party.
    An I gets drained at a party.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think of extraversion as being an orientation towards the world of external matters, a relationship with the object that's concrete and immediate, whilst introverts habitually abstractify the object and are oriented towards the inner world.

It kind of annoys me when people equate extraversion with 'liking people' and 'being good with people'. Yes, that can be a side effect of being an extravert because if you're oriented towards action in the external world then you tend to form relationships with people and have a lot of practice at it. But the whole 'needing people' thing is more an F trait than an E trait, I think. I can spend hours or days alone quite happily, whilst an INFJ I know needs people in a way I never could.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    xNFJ

Extraversion = having a relatively low level of natural brain activity

Introversion = having a relatively high level of natural brain activity

I believe neuroscience and other kinds of experiments currently support this model. Introverts respond more intensely not only psychologically, but physiologically to external stimuli. They salivate more to a drop of lemon juice on the tongue. They have lower pain thresholds. They need significantly higher amounts of sedative to become unconscious because there's more going on to be dulled down. The total amount of brain activity is greater, but the specific areas of the brain activated also differ somewhat, with resting extraverts having more activity in the parts associated with sensory awareness and introverts having more in the parts associated with problem solving.

Well, this is useful for understanding how the differences are best defined and explained, but perhaps less so for actual typing, unless you happen to own a brain scanner.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

E= dominant perception or judgment attitude (depending on P/J) is based on environmental standards and objective reality.

I= dominant perception or judgment attitude (depending on P/J) is driven by a usually idiosyncratic, personal "inner-force" following a subjective road map.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by xNFJiminy View Post

I believe neuroscience and other kinds of experiments currently support this model. Introverts respond more intensely not only psychologically, but physiologically to external stimuli. They salivate more to a drop of lemon juice on the tongue. They have lower pain thresholds. They need significantly higher amounts of sedative to become unconscious because there's more going on to be dulled down. The total amount of brain activity is greater, but the specific areas of the brain activated also differ somewhat, with resting extraverts having more activity in the parts associated with sensory awareness and introverts having more in the parts associated with problem solving.
    This is hugely interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'll need to study this more.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by xNFJiminy View Post

I strongly suspect that there is something wrong with that theory because "natural brain activity" is too vague and general a description. What would make more sense to me would be if I heard that "Extroverts have less brain activity in ____ part of the brain."

Also, I think that there is a lot of things that get mis-interpreted as being E/I indicators. For example, I have all of these things that I's normally associate themselves with:

* I know that I can get drained, or on the other hand, overstimulated in social interactions.
    * Being alone can "recharge my batteries"
    * I'm not particularly loud or assertive
    * I don't have a particularly high pain or stimulus thresholds. I'm not an adrenaline junky.
    * I do my best thinking by myself.
    * I do sometimes appreciate stuff more by myself.

But I know that I'm E because I still draw my energy from being around others. When I go home at the end of the day and find myself alone, I just see this time as something to put up with or make the best out of. I can appreciate being alone and recognize that it's healthy, but I don't see it as a need.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post
    I strongly suspect that there is something wrong with that theory because "natural brain activity" is too vague and general a description.
    This might help - http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ersion-4.html#

These also might help - links from proteanmix!

http://www.apa.org/journals/features/bne115133.pdf (PDF Warning)
    http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp793452.pdf (PDF Warning)

MBTI
    ????

Smile

[/QUOTE]* I know that I can get drained, or on the other hand, overstimulated in social interactions.
    * Being alone can "recharge my batteries"
    * I'm not particularly loud or assertive
    * I don't have a particularly high pain or stimulus thresholds. I'm not an adrenaline junky.
    * I do my best thinking by myself.
    * I do sometimes appreciate stuff more by myself.

But I know that I'm E because I still draw my energy from being around others. When I go home at the end of the day and find myself alone, I just see this time as something to put up with or make the best out of. I can appreciate being alone and recognize that it's healthy, but I don't see it as a need./QUOTE]

that's the way it is for me too.
    I also get my energy from other people and I love social events. (unlike my introverted family)

but sometimes I really want to be alone,
    I'll ask people to leave me alone for a while
    and I'll be off thinking about things like la-dee-da
    then I'm happy again.