User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Consistency of Thought

For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?
    It is cognitive dissonance that is making you uncomfortable. And you seek to relieve your discomfort by seeking to integrate the inconsistencies.

Do keep in mind that cognitive dissonance is a sign that learning is taking place; also that cognitive dissonance is the way science progresses.

But most of all remember that those who seek to integrate their own minds are courageous and beautiful.

And that intellectual and moral integrity is a crowning virtue.

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

I have a code of conduct, but at the end of the day, I will take each situation for what it is.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    I have a code of conduct, but at the end of the day, I will take each situation for what it is.
    Ah, my ol' Alpha Prime, you are a Situationist.

But keep in mind that no one can predict the future, and that is why we have morality.

Morality is our covenant with the future.

As we move into the future moment by moment, we can't know what is going to happen, so instead we behave in a beautiful way - we move into the future with trust - trust in one another.

And just as truth is beauty and beauty is truth -

Morality is trust and trust is morality.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Ah, my ol' Alpha Prime, you are a Situationist.

But keep in mind that no one can predict the future, and that is why we have morality.

Morality is our covenant with the future.

As we move into the future moment by moment, we can't know what is going to happen, so instead we behave in a beautiful way - we move into the future with trust - trust in one another.

And just as truth is beauty and beauty is truth -

Morality is trust and trust is morality.
    Do you mean to say that morality is based on trust in other people?

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Do you mean to say that morality is based on trust in other people?
    Well Philadelphia, I don't mean anything.

Rather I am making something.

But what am I making?

I am making a metaphor which takes the form of -

A is to B as C is to D.

So, "Truth is to beauty as trust is to morality".

I am making a comparison of relationships.

I am comparing the relationship between truth and beauty to the relationship between trust and morality.

So you might interrogate a comparison of relationships to find if it is consonant or dissonant.

But if you ask what it means, it won't know what to say.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Well Philadelphia, I don't mean anything.

Rather I am making something.

But what am I making?

I am making a metaphor which takes the form of -

A is to B as C is to D.

So, "Truth is to beauty as trust is to morality".

I am making a comparison of relationships.

I am comparing the relationship between truth and beauty to the relationship between trust and morality.

So you might interrogate a comparison to find if it is consonant or dissonant.

But if you ask what it means, it won't know what to say.
    I get the analogy, but I don't see how trust=morality like "truth is beauty."

I get the analogy, but I don't see how trust=morality like "truth is beauty."
    I am inclined to agree with you. It is a poor metaphor.

I tied it to a chair and tortured it until it revealed that to compare truth and beauty with trust and morality is somewhat ham-fisted.

And finally it admitted it was just showing off. It admitted that truth and beauty is a lovely relationship but, as you so well point out, trust and morality is somewhat doubtful.

Under enhanced interrogation techniques it told me it didn't really know what it was saying, that it got carried away, and hoped it wouldn't get caught.

And by this stage the metaphor was looking rather pathetic so I untied it. But it jumped up and fled from the room, shouting, "You bloody fool, I'll be back".

So I would be grateful if you would watch my back and carefully read every word I write, and tell me the moment the metaphor shows its face.
    Last edited by Mole; 05-23-2009 at 12:49 AM.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I am inclined to agree with you. It is a poor metaphor.

I tied it to a chair and tortured it until it revealed that to compare truth and beauty with trust and morality is somewhat ham-fisted.

And finally it admitted it was just showing off. It admitted that truth and beauty is lovely relationship but, as you so well point out, trust and morality is somewhat doubtful.

Under enhanced interrogation techniques it told me it didn't really know what it was saying, that it got carried away, and hoped it wouldn't get caught.

And by this stage the metaphor was looking rather pathetic so I untied it. But it jumped up and fled from the room, shouting, "You bloody fool, I'll be back".

So I would be grateful if you would watch my back and carefully read every word I write, and tell me the moment the metaphor shows its face.
    I hope I never have to Australia.

I hope I never have to [visit] Australia.
    No worries Mate, I'm saving a seat for you.