User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

To me? Whenever I notice inconsistencies in others, including myself.. it's usually a sign that something that we do/say isn't quite in alignment of who we truly are/what we truly want inside..

Sometimes, I think inconsistencies have to do a lot with 'expectations' that people feel that they need to do for others, including themselves and ourselves.

So, it's usually a matter of social obligation vs. personal needs/wants?

I think that when we feel we 'need' something, the more likely the patterns of inconsistencies there are in our behavior. When we're at peace with ourselves? The more consistent we remain.

I think that since life is in a constant flux and that we tend to get influenced by our surroundings (social, situation, peer, family, etc), sometimes we veer off the wrong path, either consciously or unconsciously to avoid dealing with the pain.. Perhaps, those who are more inconsistent are dealing with the instant 'pleasure principle.'

I tend to be consistent overall.. In terms of inconsistencies in others? I'm okay with it, as I realize that we're all in the path to finding out about our true selves, each and everyday? We become so socialized that we lose touch with what truly makes us happy in the purest sense? Yah.. I think so..

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?
    My thinking is not consistent all of the time. If i think to much about it, i will drive myself insane. I just tell myself being open minded and open to other possibilities is a good thing. I hate with a passion that my moods can go from very happy to very sad. I do struggle to control that. I need to find a balance with that. Preferably soon.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Sniffles

My lines of thought are often paradoxical, so they can appear to be inconsistent on the surface, but deep down there's an underlining unity to it all.

Long story short: if I have two inconsistent truths, I'll take the two truths and the inconsistency along with it. It really doesn't bother me that much. It's usually logical sticklers(yeah you know who you are) who have the problem with it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

To the OP, I do think about consistency a lot, but I'm starting to think it's part of the myth of the "Self". I think we hold back a lot on doing what would make sense- on what would be better or right for a situation- instead relying on what we've done in the past that validated what we think better represents our "true self". But why does this internal conception matter?

I'm starting to think that who we think we are is not anyone at all. We are our actions, yes. But a whole person is what the person has done throughout, and just because the trend before has followed a certain pattern, doesn't mean the whole (including the future) is represented well in parts of the pattern we can already see.

It's limiting to force ourselves to be "consistent"- it assumes we already know the grand system into which all the situations will fall, when shouldn't it work the other way around. We should react situationally (the right decision at the right time) and draw tentative "systems" around those individual solutions (and use that systematic approach when we haven't got enough facts to make an informed specific solution).

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

For me, consistency is important. I try to mend, or at least understand, any inconsistencies I find in myself. I like to have structure externally and internally because it keeps things organized, efficient, and understandable.
    It is like having some basic guidelines that are followed, in various ways, in different situations.

My moods can vary quite a bit, and I can be sort of all over the place in a given day.

However mentally I have lots of stuff mixing around and when things dont match up it feels "lumpy" so my brain will sort of chew at it in the background like a puzzle until I acheive some clarity or make some sense out of it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Are you a calculator?

Didn't think so.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?
    Consistency is good and all, but not if you're wrong. Beware of trying to force a principle onto contexts where it doesn't apply.

Everything needs to be considered in context, but at the same time if you do that it becomes harder for people to understand your thinking and your motives. Which of course, is a context in itself.

So basically... balance.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin