• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Speaking Style

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate when other people mumble. I think I'm pretty good at refraining from it considering I'm an INT, but I'll sometimes trail off if I'm getting bored of talking. My speaking voice is level. It gets monotonous when I go into 'informative' mode.

Uh huh, I notice that in myself as well -- the informative "monotone." It's really difficult to put too much animation into my voice, it drains me and has to be a conscious effort.

I watch my oldest kid do the monotone mumble too, but he's really bad... and he has some sort of orthodontic device in his mouth right now, which only compounds the issue.

INT's should in theory be witty as quick thinking and imagination are all part of the INT's internal workings? (aka a bit of brain jousting).

That sums up most of my real-life interactions with INTs... it's very very easy for us to fall into the "witticism" pattern, each one playing off the other. We don't mean to be annoying, we enjoy that sort of conversation (one with lots of humor and some real topics mixed together in a jumbled mess), but non-INTx's sometimes get frustrated, so I've had to learn to rein it in when appropriate.

Koanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
It depends very much on how I'm feeling at the time, and who I'm speaking to. I usually speak in a fairly fast, clear tone when I'm around friends and family, but when I'm starting to get to know people, I've noticed my speech becomes more of a mumble, and sometimes even hard for me to understand. If I'm aware of it at the time, I start to over exaggerate the clarity. My voice also becomes more high pitched when addressing groups or teachers etc.

I also use a lot of hand gestures (providing I have the room; I tried it on a train once but I kept thwacking the poor woman next to me); apparently, I also pull rather extreme facial expressions if I'm not talking, but if I am, my face becomes oddly blank, as though all the emotional effort is going into choosing the right words.

Whenever I get annoyed or excited by something, I become subconsciously louder; I don't know it's actually happening until someone tells me. My pitch variation also tends to increase, though that's more a conscious effort to emphasize certain words or phrases.

lastrailway

I have a quiet voice, hoarse and very low for a girl. I have some intonation when I am not speaking in my mother tongue, because I try to imitate what I perceive as “usual intonation” of the language I am speaking. If it was not for that, I ‘d probably have a speaking style as dull and monotonous as the things I usually say :)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Speaking is not my thing. In general I suck at it. I hate my dialect. Okay, perhaps I would mumble a bit anyway, but if I used a different dialect, I think I would mumble a lot less! Is my voice monotone? Hell yeah! That being said, it is better among my friends, and when I speak about something that I am into. I am so bad at explaining stuff orally I am usually overwhelmed by the challenge. Whenever I am able to explain something I am really relieved. Lately I have become more absent, so I guess that has made me even worse in the speaking department, speaking lower and mumbling more than ever. I make a lot of sarcasm, by the way. My sarcastic comments are just short though, of course. And yeah, people who don't know me might easily get offended. It's not like I change my intonation when I am sarcastic ...