User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Speaking Style

MBTI
    INXP

I would find your voice soothing. A booming or shrill voice can send me looking for my coat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Does this not mean that you're now shouting at people in a dull monotone? I'm picturing your avatar: :yim_rolling_on_the_

---

Metamorphosis, the INTJs I know vary in their speaking style. One does the classic INTX low mumbling monotone (despite being extremely outgoing), others (including me, I think ) vary pitch and volume - though given our level of skill at it, I'm not sure that doing it is necessarily more conducive to listening than the monotone. Good thing we compensate with content.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Is it emoting, or expression, in which case the determinant would be extroversion? Keirsey gives one answer, Myers-Briggs another. I'm waiting for the theory market to shake out.
    I don't know which it would be (emoting = F, expression = E) either.

Is it possible that both contribute and simply layer upon each other?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I've been said that I could be a voice actor for children's programmes.
    I've been said to make a good model for a comic book character.
    I've been said to have opera-like quality to my voice.
    One of my GF's said to have fallen in love with my voice.

Reading between the lines, some people must see me as a fake, liar, dishonest, actor, attention-seeker, power-striving, influence-hungry person, as well, as long as my voice is considered.
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 09-09-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: needed to elaborate the point

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

If the dynamics of articulation (and gesticulation) are compound, then there is far more to learn about temperament and personality.

I just got off the phone with a friend who once typed as INFJ -- he called me, and yet the conversation was soon stop-start, carried and eventually concluded ("Well, I'll leave you to your time with your friend") by myself. The same often happens with a male INFP friend. So, what might cause this: introversion or a feeling preference?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    If the dynamics of articulation (and gesticulation) are compound, then there is far more to learn about temperament and personality.

I just got off the phone with a friend who once typed as INFJ -- he called me, and yet the conversation was soon stop-start, carried and eventually concluded ("Well, I'll leave you to your time with your friend") by myself. The same often happens with a male INFP friend. So, what might cause this: introversion or a feeling preference?
    How can we speculate on what caused what if we don't even know what you're talking about? Are you asking why he called you? Are you asking why the conversation was intermittent? Were you referring to his tone and pitch patterns, even though you didn't describe them? I'm confused.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Are you asking why the conversation was intermittent?
    Yes. Sorry, I posted the equivalent of thinking out loud. The relevance, though could be whatever correlation exists between styles of expression and adroitness (in this case, both friends are soft-spoken).

The two come across, on the phone, as if they quickly forget what they have called about; or else have only a single message to convey but don't know how to end the conversation immediately following. They've both tested as NFs, so I briefly considered a pattern. It could just as easily be a narrow range of shared interests.

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    On a somewhat related note...I think this is also partially the reason why we come off as standoff-ish. I went out to eat last night with some of my friends and we had a waitress that was probably an NT. My friend joked with her a little bit and she replied with a typical INTesque sarcastic comment in that dull tone I'm talking about. I immediately interpreted it as a joke and thought it was funny, but everyone else at the table thought she was just bitchy...wtf? No wonder everyone hates us.
    Yip, you laughed because she just slapped him down and didn't really give a damn about it.... (but also, she probably takes lots of crap off guys she serves).

MBTI
    XNTX

No sure that INT has any particular style. I think speaking is a function of self awareness, along with all the other things we try to improve upon.

The way I talk is quite fast and straight down the line, I assume that most people can fill in the gaps (but they don't, so I am trying to change that).

INT's should in theory be witty as quick thinking and imagination are all part of the INT's internal workings? (aka a bit of brain jousting).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

INTs tend to mumble too, at least INTPs. I do not know whether it's the "not sure of what I'm saying, so I'm speculating out loud to myself as I talk" thing, but if the entire sentence isn't already at a mumble, then you can sometimes just watch it wind down into one. It's humorous... unless you're trying to understand the person doing it.
    I hate when other people mumble. I think I'm pretty good at refraining from it considering I'm an INT, but I'll sometimes trail off if I'm getting bored of talking.

My speaking voice is level. It gets monotonous when I go into 'informative' mode.
    I don't wanna!