User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 47

  1. #31
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is because you were founded by Protestants who believed in the personal interpretation of the Bible.

    Of course you have now democratised and secularised Protestantism, but still you deeply and profoundly believe in personal interpretation and personal experience.

    And because you have forgotten the origins of your reliance on personal experience, it is all the more powerful.

    I mean, let's face it - an American is never more American than when they are alone.
    Or could it actually be because we live in such a pluralistic society? The United States is made up not only of Protestants, but of Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Witches, and atheists. Our collective heritage came here from literally all over the world. Very few people in this country are one "pure" race or culture. We have all had to learn to live together, especially in the last few decades as issues like racism and other forms of intolerance have come to the forefront to be dealt with.

    Therefore we have learned to respect the experiences of others as not being like ours, because in this country (unless you live down in a holler) it's highly likely that one meets people very different from him or herself on a regular basis.

    It's important to take the personal experiences of others into serious consideration, otherwise we would be limited by our own experience.

  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Or could it actually be because we live in such a pluralistic society? The United States is made up not only of Protestants, but of Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Witches, and atheists. Our collective heritage came here from literally all over the world. Very few people in this country are one "pure" race or culture. We have all had to learn to live together, especially in the last few decades as issues like racism and other forms of intolerance have come to the forefront to be dealt with.

    Therefore we have learned to respect the experiences of others as not being like ours, because in this country (unless you live down in a holler) it's highly likely that one meets people very different from him or herself on a regular basis.

    It's important to take the personal experiences of others into serious consideration, otherwise we would be limited by our own experience.
    My country is even more multicultural than yours. And in fact our official policy is Multiculturalism. And yet we don't rely on personal experience in the same way you do.

    So we need to go back to our origins to discover our differences.

    You were founded by Protestants as well as a bourgeois, that is a business, revolution. And both reinforced one another and both strongly believed in personal experience.

    Whereas we were founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment and have had no revolution, neither bourgeois nor proletarian.

    So we remain the children of the Aristocratic Enlightenment.

    While you are the children of the Protestant Bourgeoise.

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    My country is even more multicultural than yours. And in fact our official policy is Multiculturalism. And yet we don't rely on personal experience in the same way you do.

    So we need to go back to our origins to discover our differences.

    You were founded by Protestants as well as a bourgeois, that is a business, revolution. And both reinforced one another and both strongly believed in personal experience.

    Whereas we were founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment and have had no revolution, neither bourgeois nor proletarian.

    So we remain the children of the Aristocratic Enlightenment.

    While you are the children of the Protestant Bourgeoise.
    So you think being Aristocratic is superior?

    Not only that, but I happen to know that your country was once a massive holding pen for prisoners.

    So you're actually the children of Aristocrats and criminals.

  4. #34
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So we remain the children of the Aristocratic Enlightenment.

    While you are the children of the Protestant Bourgeoise.
    How would you describe the difference between the two?

  5. #35
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Not only that, but I happen to know that your country was once a massive holding pen for prisoners.
    You seem to forget that you were a colony for one hundred and fifty years - and a penal colony to boot.

    I think you are being disingenuous in forgetting you were a penal colony.

    But after your eight year war of treachery (1775-1783), the Colonial Office could not longer send convicts to you, so they sent them to us.

    And yet we both turned out OK.

  6. #36
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    So you think being Aristocratic is superior?
    Each one of us thinks our own country is best.

    However, in my case, I am right.

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    So you're actually the children of Aristocrats and criminals.
    In our bilious moments, we like to say that our fellow Australians are either guards or prisoners.

  8. #38
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Personal experience is what makes this site great.
    If it wasn't for us all sitting around here and talking about personal experience, then what would be the point?
    We would just make a book list of things to read and classes to take.
    Personal experience is what we have- and its great to see all the viewpoints of real people- not just what we read in books or areas of expertise. (OR some random profound and original idea that we've just invented. In which case we'd be at the genius convention, not here.)

    I do agree that quoting personal experience for an argument or as gospel can get awfully annoying! But, I guess that's just the nature of these kinds of discussions. (In my experience, anyways !!! )

    If we were only allowed to talk about these great broad views that we've developed or had some area of expertise, then this site would be a pretty desolate land. (And a boring one at that!) We go to work and school to talk about things that we know for fact, right? Why not spew off some opinions and stories for fun?

    (Excuse my dogma, by the way. I know this sets typologycentral back in it's broader mission to achieve larger social ends.)

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Each one of us thinks our own country is best.

    However, in my case, I am right.
    ha ha ha...how ironic of you to point out that you think your personal experience is best

  10. #40
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Wow, this thread exudes spite, I can feel it.

    Who is to say that we can't just generalize more than we already are. Lets say we look at the even bigger picture. Humans evolved on this earth (or were created, pick your poison) and have made civilization. Thus cultures were created by settling into different areas of the globe. All of the cultures want to progress as a main source of survival and convenience. It is a selfish endeavor, but who is to say selfishness isn't the best path to bettering your position in life?

    If you want to get back to the roots, the primal instincts and say personal experience is a bad thing then... have a nuclear holocaust.

Similar Threads

  1. the belief in an afterlife is required in old age for mental health
    By GarrotTheThief in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM
  2. The two main fallacies used in justifying belief in God
    By Mycroft in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
  3. [INFP] The different types of infps survey [enneagram, big 5 personal experience]
    By Hopelandic in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 01:05 AM
  4. What you've learned about the theory of personalities in the last 6 months?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 01:26 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO