User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 47

  1. #11
    Senior Member Dwigie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Look around you here.

    When we get into an argument, we all try to have the last word.

    We all try to be the last authority.

    And the last fall back is to say, "Well, this is my own personal experience, and you have your own personal experience, and that's that".

    Of course if we did question that, the whole edifice of your society would come crashing down.

    So of those things of which we cannot speak, we remain silent.
    You have a good point Victor. You made me think because out of over emotionalism I did something similar by invalidating someone's opinion due to the fact that she had not experienced "it".

    Now that I think about it, it is wrong. I think that having a different perspective from your own can help us gain insight.
    However, we do live some things differently and at times it really is "just that" I feel. Also, I disagree with you when you say that people always try to be the last authority.
    Have you never had your mind changed about anything by someone?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

  2. #12
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    How is that a religious belief or imperial? It seems like you are judging me based on your own personal experience.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    But allowing everyone to have their own opinion is the opposite of Imperialism, which is why we like it. It's valuing others rather than valuing The One Way of being that was established through previous types of government. Actually, thinking only ONE WAY was right is actually kinda what caused Imperialism in the first place - ya know, England and other Western European countries thinking they knew "better" than the native peoples of the lands they dominated.

  4. #14
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    I've actually been looking for an alternative to personal experience. I feel it's unreliable and anecdotal, but I haven't been been shown a lot of good alternatives. Religion is one, and it seems arbitrary. Logic is another, but it's too limited to deal with some aspects of reality.

    What are the alternatives, Victor? I want to know...

  5. #15
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Oh please. You're exaggerating. America isn't always as bad as it looks on T.V.
    C'mon, we believe America is a force for good in the world, that is why we have been allies since 1904.

    What I am trying to say is beyond good and evil.

    I am very interested in comparative history. And particularly comparing the histories of North and South America with the history of Oz.

    And the comparison reveals vast similarities which only serve to highlight the differences.

    So we can learn to understand ourselves better by understanding one another.

    But a moralism doesn't take us very far in the direction of understanding.

  6. #16
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I've actually been looking for an alternative to personal experience. I feel it's unreliable and anecdotal, but I haven't been been shown a lot of good alternatives. Religion is one, and it seems arbitrary. Logic is another, but it's too limited to deal with some aspects of reality.

    What are the alternatives, Victor? I want to know...
    Well, my dear Athenian, the big historical alternatives are Protestantism and Catholicism.

  7. #17
    WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    By definition a person can't believe in anything that doesn't come from personal experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

  8. #18
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, my dear Athenian, the big historical alternatives are Protestantism and Catholicism.
    Do you mean that literally, or as a metaphor for individual interpretation versus centralized interpretation?

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It seems like you are judging me based on your own personal experience.
    Hoist on my own petard.

  10. #20
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    By definition a person can't believe in anything that doesn't come from personal experience.
    This is simply a dogma.

Similar Threads

  1. the belief in an afterlife is required in old age for mental health
    By GarrotTheThief in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM
  2. The two main fallacies used in justifying belief in God
    By Mycroft in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
  3. [INFP] The different types of infps survey [enneagram, big 5 personal experience]
    By Hopelandic in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 01:05 AM
  4. What you've learned about the theory of personalities in the last 6 months?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 01:26 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO