• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypothetical Question...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm curious whether switching family with significant other would have made a difference. The difference in attachment.

What significant other??? :shock:
Well, you leaving would crush their love for you, and your love for them would make you want to stay... but the thing is, you wont feel any guilt in heaven (that contradicts the unimaginable pleasure part), and love you feel would be insignificant in comparison to what you get in heaven. Once again, I think this really appealing to the Fs more than the Ts. But it does seem a little bit cruel to just desert someone that loves you for something better... :thinking:

Snow Turtle

What significant other??? :shock:
Well, you leaving would crush their love for you, and your love for them would make you want to stay... but the thing is, you wont feel any guilt in heaven (that contradicts the unimaginable pleasure part), and love you feel would be insignificant in comparison to what you get in heaven. Once again, I think this really appealing to the Fs more than the Ts. But it does seem a little bit cruel to just desert someone that loves you for something better... :thinking:

This reminds me of a question that my friend posed to me the other day.

"You can harm somebody. You can do anything you want. There will be a flip switch to reverse the time, and everything will be forgotten. It will be as if it never existed."

Of course him being an T decided to screw around with me and use horrible examples of: Killing someone to experience what it would be like, stealing from a bank, having a one night stand (this one isn't that bad) and other distasteful topics that I'll leave to your imagination. What say you?

For me... Other peoples happiness can be my form of happiness. Yes, it's a very FJ response I realise. I suppose I could do the same in heaven but it wouldn't be the same, it'd just be with different people and I'm pretty attached to my family and friends.

Snow Turtle

I also created another example for him to answer... He didn't seem to have much problem with it, it's similar to this question actually but I found difficulty in staying as long as him.

Imagine entering a room where you can do anything (similar to heaven) except you will definitely be alone. Time will be frozen so that when you come back outside the room, it'll be as if nothing occured. How long could you stay inside there?

or another example.

"Someone pays you $1,000,000 to not speak to your loved ones for 6 months, after it's over, you aren't allowed to tell them the reason you ignored them either."

Yay or Nay?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This reminds me of a question that my friend posed to me the other day.

"You can harm somebody. You can do anything you want. There will be a flip switch to reverse the time, and everything will be forgotten. It will be as if it never existed."

Of course him being an T decided to screw around with me and use horrible examples of: Killing someone to experience what it would be like, stealing from a bank, having a one night stand (this one isn't that bad) and other distasteful topics that I'll leave to your imagination. What say you?

For me... Other peoples happiness can be my form of happiness. Yes, it's a very FJ response I realise. I suppose I could do the same in heaven but it wouldn't be the same, it'd just be with different people and I'm pretty attached to my family and friends.

I would bitchslap people and flip that switch in a heartbeat. There is not a doubt in my mind. But if I robbed a bank, could I bring the money back with me, or is everything gone once I flipped that switch?

I also created another example for him to answer... He didn't seem to have much problem with it, it's similar to this question actually but I found difficulty in staying as long as him.

Imagine entering a room where you can do anything (similar to heaven) except you will definitely be alone. Time will be frozen so that when you come back outside the room, it'll be as if nothing occured. How long could you stay inside there?

I think I could stay in there for a very long time as long as I could leave at any time. Are there books to read? Music? Could I bypass a decade and essentially time travel into the future - and if so, would I be aged?

Snow Turtle

I would bitchslap people and flip that switch in a heartbeat. There is not a doubt in my mind. But if I robbed a bank, could I bring the money back with me, or is everything gone once I flipped that switch?

You could flip the switch any time afterwards, but afterwards it'll all be gone. Temporary pleasure at the expense of society. But they'll forget it afterwards as well.

I think I could stay in there for a very long time as long as I could leave at any time. Are there books to read? Music? Could I bypass a decade and essentially time travel into the future - and if so, would I be aged?

Time's just frozen. You'll get to become a superwise person when coming out, except you'll look the same as before. Only downside is that you're allowed to do it once. It was basically to see how long we could go without social interaction...

Oddly enough my friend (ENTX) said the same thing for both things. How he could learn his whole degree and just come out. Sometimes he's talked about just being a jerk just to see what it would be like, or living life like The Dice Man

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Then forget them both - too many rules! I'll never remember them and I will get caught in some continuum.

All the pleasures I really want, I can have right now - I don't want to kill anyone.

If I can freeze time, the last thing I want to be doing is sitting in a room somewhere. Booooring. (wait, does that room have access to unlimited favorite foods and a fully stocked library and bar??) If so, I could probably do a year - but I wouldn't see the point of it except to prove that I could. And no one would believe me anyway.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'd stick with my family no matter what. I love them so much and I'd be nowhere without them. :wubbie:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's a trick question. Lucifer was an angel, heh heh.

But to answer it directly: no. I'm not ready to die, and when my time comes I'll go to Heaven, or whatever the afterlife may be, at that time.

LucrativeSid

I wouldn't do it. Not because I'd miss my family, but because it would be a cheap ass existence. I like pain. I like struggle. I like earning what I get in life. I like Earth.

You say the point is to see whether you place happiness in others' hands or not?

To me, staying would be the ultimate self-reliant thing to do. You choose to be human and to battle it out with nothing but a brain and a body. Having angels and gods just give you things ... now that doesn't seem very self-reliant. That seems like the ultimate case of counting on other people to give you happiness, and it's way too pathetic to be an option for me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i believe i'll go when i'm meant to and i'm not ready to leave my people...i've got too much left to do...so no.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hypothetically, I'd have a hard time accepting the offer, but not for the sake of not seeing my family again.

Seriously, higher beings offering me heaven but immidiatly start restriction would really get on my nerves and make me very cautious of their intentions. Considering I am skeptical about heaven in more ways than most people can imagine.

In all likelyhood I'd tell them to fuck off.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
1. I've lived far away from my family and voluntarily kept contact to a minimum for many years, so it's not much of a dilemma, but...

2. I'm quite attached to my humanity, quite fond and even proud of it, and mortality's a part of that which I don't want to duck out of. In fact, coming to terms with it is I think, the only way to become as fully actualized as a human as I can imagine being. Shortlived though it might be in the GSOT, the awesomeness factor has to be way above boring old immortality. So...

3. Considering that neither family nor heaven itself are things I've ever felt are indispensible in my life, the question seems a bit bland, to me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't accept the offer, because I want to experience everything life has to offer. And family didn't really factor into that.

Also, what LucrativeSid said.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wouldn't do it. Not because I'd miss my family, but because it would be a cheap ass existence. I like pain. I like struggle. I like earning what I get in life. I like Earth.

You say the point is to see whether you place happiness in others' hands or not?

To me, staying would be the ultimate self-reliant thing to do. You choose to be human and to battle it out with nothing but a brain and a body. Having angels and gods just give you things ... now that doesn't seem very self-reliant. That seems like the ultimate case of counting on other people to give you happiness, and it's way too pathetic to be an option for me.

Oh yeah, I didn't see this. Awesome, we're of one mind on that. It's totally the fight that makes it all worth living.

I :wubbie: being human. I think i'm like the only one of all my geek friends who has never chosen to play anything but human characters in D&D etc!

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
It might be a trick, so I would turn down the offer. I'm not that scared of what will happen to me anyway, so I figure I don't have too much of a problem risking it.

If there were a 100 percent guarantee, which I think is impossible, I might take it. Might.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Nope. Wouldn't accept it. And it wouldn't really only have to do with my family. Just...all of my true pleasures, aren't anything heaven can offer better. Nothing I've ever read in any text about heaven from any religion...has any appeal to me. I like nature, and the world, and achieving things for myself. My real pleasures, are hiking, skiing, biking, and just general exploring and finding new places. Going *snap* and having everything I want...kind of gets rid of the sense of accomplishment.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It might be a trick, so I would turn down the offer. I'm not that scared of what will happen to me anyway, so I figure I don't have too much of a problem risking it.

If there were a 100 percent guarantee, which I think is impossible, I might take it. Might.

If an angelic being comes down from above and says "I guarantee 100% that you will go to heaven if you accept my offer", you would still probably doubt it. What you need is collateral :yes:

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
At first.. I would look at the angel and say, "For real..?"

Then I would really question, whether or not what she offers is b.s.

After much consideration and seeing that this is an authentic question, which would probably take a lot of convincing on my part? I would say, "No thank you.. I would rather be with my family.. That in itself is heaven to me. Life on earth is happy/fulfilling enough; I want to stay back to ride out the journey.. muchas gracias."

The responses could also reflect on other aspects of our lives & dealing with finished/unfinished business?