User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Eccentricity

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Thank you Victor, for a very good post.
    Dear Wildcat, I swell at your praise and cringe at your criticism.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

No one has any ideas on the psychology of eccentricity or weirdness?
    I'm glad Victor and Wildcat showed up. They've got thread-befitting writing styles.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Like I wont bring a gun to work, but I might bring you a couple of extra pet cats instead or make you paperclip chains to hang from your doorway or distribute representative nebula to all my coworkers in three buildings.
    I'd prefer you used staples for the chain.
    It will take longer, but will be sturdier.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't know if my outlook on life qualifies as eccentric, but I do whatever the hell I want and my tastes are all over the place, and damn it I can burn through money like there is no tomorrow.

I'm a married 35 year old caucasian male bodybuilder with shoulder length bleach blond hair working as a database analyst for a government agency and attending graduate school.

My wardrobe is eclectic. All my business clothes are tailored, I will only wear Adidas to the gym, and my casual clothes consist of anything from Levi's, Polo, Sean John, Tony Llama, a vintage biker jacket, a cashmere overcoat for the winter, and let's not forget a ridiculous collection of T-shirts.

I eat the best of foods, only from the perimeter of the supermarket (fresh meats, fruits, veggies, breads, and (organic) dairy products), am a budding red wine fanatic, can mix cocktails better than any bartender I know.

I love art. I have a range of stuff on my walls at this point ranging from a hand painted watercolor from my 88 year old friend Anne, a print of an orchid that my MIL's father painted in an Italian frame, a 3 panel abstract canvas on frame painting from China, and 4 juge giclee prints on 2" box frames with gallery wrapped edges bought from my friend Spencer whose music I also love. Now I need a statue for the spot above my fireplace that used to house our TV, as the old set died and now we have a huge plasma in the family room.

My house is over landscaped. Limestone boulder retaining walls form beds in the front, Sabal palm trees, two huge King Sago plams, one Pindo Palm, a Japanese magnolia, a huge oak in back, Shi-Shi Gashira bushes, a nice Althea in the front, Formosan Azaleas on one side, and Alphonse Karr Bamboo on the other, and cool little stuff all over to tie it all together.

So that's my deal. Am I eccentric or just extremely ecclectic? Whatever, it's how I am, I don't really think about it, I've always been this way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Eccentricity has nothing to do with being mad or being rich. It's literally being off centre, away from the norm.

Eccentricity could most honestly be compared to independent thinker as a descriptor as they are both approaching things without regard to convention... it's just one is more associated with approaching it incorrectly.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

I put my theory on some of this in a post quite a while ago. It's here if you're interested. It was rated highly by the illustrious Night, and really what better recommendation could there be?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I put my theory on some of this in a post quite a while ago. It's here if you're interested. It was rated highly by the illustrious Night, and really what better recommendation could there be?
    I read your post, it rocked. My favorite from it:

"The solution is to stop trying to be what you're not, and then you can discover what you are and be it well. And don't worry about whether it's unique or not."

Cheers my friend.

-Alex

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I read your post, it rocked. My favorite from it:

"The solution is to stop trying to be what you're not, and then you can discover what you are and be it well. And don't worry about whether it's unique or not."

Cheers my friend.

-Alex
    Aw shucks!

Thanks
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Eccentricity has nothing to do with being mad or being rich. It's literally being off centre, away from the norm.
    Yes indeed, Xander.

And yes, the norm is under the centre of the Bell Curve.

Most, if not all, human qualities fall under the Bell Curve.

The Bell curve is shaped like a bell with almost everyone falling in the middle and very few falling at either end.

For instance, Intelligence Quotient falls under the Bell Curve. Most are clusters around the average IQ of 100, while very few are at one end of 160 and very few are at the other end of 40.

So the eccentrics are found at either ends of the Bell Curve, but not in middle.

The eccentrics are not found clustered around the norm. The eccentrics are not found clustered around the average. So eccentrics are not normal and not average.

Most people want to be normal. And how lucky they are clustering together under the Bell Curve as the world's made rosy and the world's made cosy by togetherness.

And at either end of the Bell Curve are the lonely eccentrics.

So no one attains eccentricity. No one has eccentricity thrust upon them. All are born eccentric.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

Eccentricity could most honestly be compared to independent thinker as a descriptor as they are both approaching things without regard to convention... it's just one is more associated with approaching it incorrectly.
    Yeah, I'd agree.

'Eccentric' when used as a label to describe others is typically a result of the other persons' external behaviors and manifestations -- things that are readily observed and perceived. In mbti terms, probably those who don't have high Fe, as those with high Fe, or at the very least those who place value on or prefer to just blend in in a physical way wouldn't be labeled eccentric.

I don't think I'd ever be labeled eccentric by others because I hate sticking out in a readily observable way. But based on my thoughts and beliefs ...I definitely don't fit in with the majority of those in my culture. I've always been rather an odd ball (when I was a teenager I vividly recall my mom telling me, "Well, you're definitely unique"..and she didn't say it in a very reassuring way! ), but, yeah: 'Eccentric' is a label reserved for the externally obvious.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ