• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Schizoid (Everyone, especially amargith post)

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I think I'm schizoid. I have effectively sworn off of dating for the next two years until I am older (by then people should be more mature), however, I notice these problems:

1. I am terribly lonely.
2. I cannot tell anyone about my emotions because I am so different.
3. I have difficulty beginning to feel emotions.
4. I find myself unable to seek the human warmth that I need so much.

I have read the DSM and ICD criteria for schizoid, and I match both of them. I still have sexuality, and I am actively on the lookout for promising relationships. Am I schizoid, or am I just being a hypoinsaniac?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Never use a diagnosis to explain your problems, unless you've thoroughly made an attempt to solve them and have seen a doc. Normal person with issues self diagnosed with mental illness will certainly run into more problems and end up with little solutions. Try the difficult path to resolving things first.

(I just realized that in my sleepiness this sounds a bit like a fortune cookie)

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
A diagnosis is a plan of action. You could be THE textbook definition of a Schizoid and NOT be diagnosible. The question is how much of the behaviors in question are a problem for you (or for others, but mostly for you).

I thought I was schizoid - i found the INTP profile because of it, actually. I could even be legiimately diagnosed SPD by the counselor I see and not know it (they often won't tell you sensitive/controversial diagnoses such a personality disorders)... but it doesn't even matter, really. If you are where I was with this, then you're questioning what one is "supposed to do as a person with schizoid tendancies"..... but its really about what kind of life experiences you want. If you're lonely but accept that existance, it's fine. Don't let a bunch of NF wack jobs tell you that you need a "Balanced life", its retardedly overrated and mediocre to boot.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
dude whatever you do don't listen to THAT! ^^

you just need to find people you can connect with...some people WILL get you as different as you think you are...try to give some people a chance sometimes.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Well... . yes true, CERTAIN ENFPs might be able to help out a schizoid, but many would just as soon pity him for being so different. Silent, quiet pity for us "freaks" is the norm rather than the exception.

MBTI Type
INxJ
You sound avoidant. Not schizoid. If you were the latter, you wouldn't need or want the company of others. You would be perfectly fine without them. Yet, you have emotional pain and want to share.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm schizoid. I have effectively sworn off of dating for the next two years until I am older (by then people should be more mature), however, I notice these problems:

1. I am terribly lonely.

I have read the DSM and ICD criteria for schizoid, and I match both of them. I still have sexuality, and I am actively on the lookout for promising relationships. Am I schizoid, or am I just being a hypoinsaniac?

Totally not schizoid. If you were schizoid, sharing your life with others would have no apparent value to you in the first place. 01011010 is right in that your issue comes closer to avoidant PD, however, if you really had a PD, it doesn't seem likely that you would have such an easy time recognising it in yourself. That essentially conflicts with one of the main problematic qualities of PDs, which is that they are part of your rationalized cognitive structure, and you cannot recognise them as broken.

I advise looking into anxiety disorders instead.

Frank

1. I am terribly lonely.

Two years of fucking instead of dating doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Frank

Totally not schizoid. If you were schizoid, sharing your life with others would have no apparent value to you in the first place. 01011010 is right in that your issue comes closer to avoidant PD, however, if you really had a PD, it doesn't seem likely that you would have such an easy time recognising it in yourself. That essentially conflicts with one of the main problematic qualities of PDs, which is that they are part of your rationalized cognitive structure, and you cannot recognise them as broken.

I advise looking into anxiety disorders instead.

Good advice

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Those that are schizoid fulfill the criteria, but not all those who fulfill the criteria are schizoid.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Strange, I somehow checkout as avoidant as well. I still don't avoid people, but dealing with them, espescially ES types is fraught with danger. I an open until rejection, then I close of possibilities with the rejecter.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

1. I am terribly lonely.

You're just an INTP. :hug:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Strange, I somehow checkout as avoidant as well. I still don't avoid people, but dealing with them, espescially ES types is fraught with danger. I an open until rejection, then I close of possibilities with the rejecter.

Both schizoid and avoidant personality disorders "avoid." However schizoids avoid simply because they don't like to be around people and enjoy their own company, while avoidants avoid because they're afraid of rejection and secretly want to be liked and appreciated.

I'm with Numbers, you seem avoidant, not schizoid.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
schizoids are self-elitists

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
um, depression? anxiety? I'd start there before I jumped all the way to schizoid.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know those seem normal to me. I mean not normal normal, but not like uurrg argh i'm a zombie arggg type weird. I mean I think as long as you think you have something you probably don't. So yeah listen to the others in this thread!

PS. I am not a psychologist so take any advice i give with a grain of salt.

pps.that wasn't actually advice

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mean I think as long as you think you have something you probably don't.

That simply isn't true. That's a stereotype perpetuated by the media. Many mentally ill people know that something is wrong with them. There are certain illnesses - borderline personality disorder, narcisisstic personality disorder, and certain types of schizophrenia - where mentally ill people don't realize that something is wrong with them. But avoidant, depressive usually know something is wrong with them. So do people with social anxiety and panic disorder, even bipolar disorder.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That simply isn't true. That's a stereotype perpetuated by the media. Many mentally ill people know that something is wrong with them. There are certain illnesses - borderline personality disorder, narcisisstic personality disorder, and certain types of schizophrenia - where mentally ill people don't realize that something is wrong with them. But avoidant, depressive usually know something is wrong with them. So do people with social anxiety and panic disorder, even bipolar disorder.

You're right, but notice the pattern. Avoidant is the only one you mentioned as self-aware that's a PD, and you might not ever really be talking about definitive avoidant PD. Many, many mental illnesses can be accompanied by awareness of the illness, but as I said, a fundamental part of PDs is that the subject is not aware of having them. This includes Schizoid perhaps more tha most. Seriously, if he was actually schizoid, he would not be asking us about this.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
. Seriously, if he was actually schizoid, he would not be asking us about this.

I agree. I thought depression and/or social anxiety, which is what I suggested in my first reply.