User Tag List

123 Last

Default gullibility and sweetness, do they go together?

In my mother toungue, there is the same word used to mean both things. So I have a bit of an association between the trait of being gullible and that of being sweet.

Frankly, I don't really know what people mean when the say that someone is sweet. But gullibility, I do understand...and I am fairly gullible.

So what about you guys? Do you a associate someone being sweet with being gullible? or vice versa?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think in reality sweetness and gullibility need necessarily be related. But I do think there is a stereotype that those two things go together.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    In my mother toungue, there is the same word used to mean both things. So I have a bit of an association between the trait of being gullible and that of being sweet.

Frankly, I don't really know what people mean when the say that someone is sweet. But gullibility, I do understand...and I am fairly gullible.

So what about you guys? Do you a associate someone being sweet with being gullible? or vice versa?
    We know that the number of converts in the world is vanishingly small.

And we know that almost all believers are born into their faith.

So for all intents and purposes, across the world, we learn what to believe at our mother's knee.

This is because children have yet to develop their critical faculties and so are in a trance most of the time.

And in a trance we are highly susceptible to suggestion, that is, we will sweetly believe what we are told.

And so it is fair to say that children are sweet and suggestible.

However if you grow up without developing your critical faculties, instead of being sweet and suggestible, you become sweet and gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon View Post
    I don't think in reality sweetness and gullibility need necessarily be related. But I do think there is a stereotype that those two things go together.
    Little girls are sugar and spice and all things nice.

While little boys are frogs and snails and puppy dogs' tails.

And little girls, and big girls, do their level best to be sweet.

And as they were naturally sweet and suggestible as children, they continue this into adulthood, and so become sweet and gullible.

And this is why every women's magazine has a substantial astrology section at the back.

And women are sweetly gullible - until you call them on it.

And then they make, "frogs and snails and puppy dogs' tails", look like a teddy bears' picnic.

MBTI
    ISFJ

"Sweet" is an even more subjective term than "gullible" but I'd say you can be sweet knowing full well about other people's potential (for good and bad), so that does not make you gullible. Gullible probably means you'd be blind to that potential (for good and bad) in other people.

MBTI
    ESTP

No, they don't go together.

I personally prefer gullible persons, because they are automatically truthfull and ...well, gullible.

Sweetness however, if not accompanied by gullibility, becomes a mean to deceive people.

Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    No, they don't go together.

I personally prefer gullible persons, because they are automatically truthfull and ...well, gullible.

Sweetness however, if not accompanied by gullibility, becomes a mean to deceive people.
    To gull means to deceive.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Maybe if sweet can relate to innocence? Then, yeah, I can see how it could also mean gullible.

Like, Adam and Eve and the apple, or Pandora and her curiosity to open the box. With knowledge comes the diminishing of innocence, and with that, a shwred awareness (killing gullibility).

MBTI
    ESTP

Hm, well that depends. Do you consider gullibility as stupidness or as naivete?

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Maybe if sweet can relate to innocence? Then, yeah, I can see how it could also mean gullible.

Like, Adam and Eve and the apple, or Pandora and her curiosity to open the box. With knowledge comes the diminishing of innocence, and with that, a shwred awareness (killing gullibility).
    And to gull means to deceive.

So those who gull do deceive.

And those who are gulled are deceived.

And the gullible are those who have been deceived.

This is complicated by the fact that the gullible want to be deceived.

The gullible read the astrological charts at the back of women's magazines because they want to be deceived.

And the gullible follow MBTI because they want to be deceived.