User Tag List

First 56789 Last

violaine

I've always needed significant amounts of alone time and never suffer in the absence of people. Without regular periods of solitude I feel unglued and harried and I get very irritable. I feel like I'm dropping the ball because of not being able to pay attention to my internal world. I'm sure I could manipulate it somewhat but I also have a strong liking for the things introverts seem to prefer. Not shy or socially anxious either for which I think introversion is often confused. (I used to be quite shy but grew out of it.)

As it happens, I have been out socializing/networking almost every night this week. I feel so splintered and chaotic. I haven't had time to internally process anything the way I normally would.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My 11 year old daughter is an obvious introvert and has been since she was born.

She told me "I wish we didn't have a phone or email, I talk enough at school." She has 3 best friends and is well liked so it's not that she isnt social adept, she just needs some down time.

In fact, I've been enjoying noticing introverted babies.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    This really isn't isn't clear with our current understandings regarding the brain, however there is no doubt that there are some aspects of our brain that are fixed, whilst others can be manipulated, and it is my personal belief that Extraversion/Introversion is one of these. Making a "choice" isn't always congruent with changing oneself however I still believe that it is something that we can consciously choose to do if we apply ourselves the required amount (which will no doubt vary from person to person).
    And I believe that you believe this because you don't understand introversion as well as you think you do. I invite you to change your preferences if you honestly believe it's possible. Good luck.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Lovely photo, Elaur.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    My 11 year old daughter is an obvious introvert and has been since she was born.

She told me "I wish we didn't have a phone or email, I talk enough at school." She has 3 best friends and is well liked so it's not that she isnt social adept, she just needs some down time.

In fact, I've been enjoying noticing introverted babies.

Aww to all of the above. Adorable.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    And I believe that you believe this because you don't understand introversion as well as you think you do. I invite you to change your preferences if you honestly believe it's possible. Good luck.
    Well in theory...and after considerable stress...I don't see why an introvert wouldn't be able to grow accustomed to increasingly bigger amounts of social interaction up until a point where they would become more comfortable living like that (which is what preferences are all about anyway). Not saying I agree with Snowey per se, but I don't think I believe this "hardwired" stuff.....at least not to the extent of considering personality preferences completely immutable.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Well in theory...and after considerable stress...I don't see why an introvert wouldn't be able to grow accustomed to increasingly bigger amounts of social interaction up until a point where they would become more comfortable living like that (which is what preferences are all about anyway). Not saying I agree with Snowey per se, but I don't think I believe this "hardwired" stuff.....

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Careful...you might hurt your head Lauren.

There's this thing called spectrum.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post

Cheers, no doubt I probably don't, but hey life's a journey and ignorance is bliss I say, I think knowing it all would be extremely boring.

That has got me thinking though is this whole discussion really about E/I differences, or are we really looking at the P/J axis. It seems the majority of the P's believe that you can change yourself, whilst the J's tend to believe that personality is fixed. So maybe after it is all said and done it is this personality trait that really governs everything else that we are. Eg. Perhaps for P's other functions of their personality seem more interchangeable than so for J's. Just a thought...
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    Cheers, no doubt I probably don't, but hey life's a journey and ignorance is bliss I say, I think knowing it all would be extremely boring.

That has got me thinking though is this whole discussion really about E/I differences, or are we really looking at the P/J axis. It seems the majority of the P's believe that you can change yourself, whilst the J's tend to believe that personality is fixed. So maybe after it is all said and done it is this personality trait that really governs everything else that we are. Eg. Perhaps for P's other functions of their personality seem more interchangeable than so for J's. Just a thought...
    IP chiming in to say I agree with MrME n' stuff.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin