• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is YOUR point of living?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I haven't completely decideded yet between sex, drugs and rock n roll.

No really, I'm already here and things aren't bad enough to wish differently. On a deeper level, I have no understanding of why I/we are here. For myself, I just live for the experience and maybe some of my curiosities and questions will be answered in time.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i don't really know, but always want to... results in unforgiving anxiety.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I know that my point of living is ruling the world. One day. Eventually.
Until then... Enjoying life seems to be satisfying enough.
It's quite a hedonistic approach.

sade

Meaning I suppose, creating it and pursuing it.

Day to day it is mainly because life is amusing, strange, weird and fascinating. I'd hate to miss the show, and the possibilities. The small things in life keep me motivated and from being suicidal.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The way I see it is like this...

Life came to play due to some millions-of-years-old comets bombarding the early Earth and planting the "seeds of life" -- some complex hydrocarbon molecules. Fast forward a few billion years, and presto! Here we are.

So what the hell is the point to any of this? Well, obviously, there is no objective point. But there is a subjective point. What is yours? How do you stay motivated to live this life?

I call bullshit on your adherence to the random seeds of life being planted here by comets. Firstly, any living carbon based organisms would have disintegrated into death upon entry into Earth's atmosphere, hence the need to assume some sort of delivery here from another source. Think FedEx + Noah's Ark if you wish, whatever.

Second, Pasteur's experiments on spontaneous generation are very applicable here. Place a piece of meat in a jar, and leave it exposed to open air, and VOILA! maggots rise from the meat a few days later. Cover the same jar with the piece of meat in it with cheese cloth, and all of a sudden no maggots.

Cheese Cloth = Earth's Atmosphere

Bottom line, life comes from life. Life must be started from a seed.

My point of living?

I did not choose to be here, but here I am. I am thnakful for the life I have been given, and all the opportunities afforded to me. I will always perform acts that contribute to the greater good in my own quest for self actualization. I will enjoy each day to the fullest. I will not sweat the small stuff. I will honor, support and respect those who do right by me; and I will crush those who wrong me or my loved ones. I will love, I will dance, I will sing, and I will cry before I die. And when my knowledge and understanding fail to allow me to understand the world around me or the circumstances that have been forced into my life, I will let it all go and pray for divine inspiration that allows me to overcome the difficulties of that day, and to move forward into a better tomorrow. That is my life. :)

Qre:us

Bottom line, life comes from life. Life must be started from a seed.

Maybe not. I don't know how you can be so sure?

Not knowing yet is not the same thing as being absolutely certain it is wrong. Science has not reached its end-all/be-all (yet).
Regardless, we are getting closer and closer to filling in the gaps of how life began.

For example:
[Montreal scientists unlock mystery of early molecular mechanism

Two Montreal researchers have proposed a new theory for a question that has long vexed evolutionary biologists: How did a mechanism thought to help build life self-assemble?

Sergey Steinberg, a biochemistry professor at the University of Montreal, found the answer in the ribosome, a relatively large mechanism within the cell that takes RNA instruction and builds proteins.

His discovery, made with student Konstantin Bokov, has been published in the scientific journal Nature.

Scientists have long wondered how chemicals spontaneously came together to create proteins before life itself began.

Steinberg and Bokov's theory fills in a critical step in how life got started four billion years ago, said Stephen Michnick, the Canada Research Chair in Integrative Genomics at the University of Montreal.

A key breakthrough came when Steinberg found that chemicals could spontaneously come together and form something as complex as a ribosome. Previous theories had suggested only simple proteins could form spontaneously.

This had been shown in a seminal experiment in the 1950s in which basic chemicals were combined in a flask, heated and zapped with electricity, creating basic amino acids as a result.

But proving that chemicals can spontaneously form simple amino acids did not prove that spontaneous action could create more complex mechanisms.

"In the absence of such explanations, some people could imagine unseen forces at work when such complex structures emerge in nature," said Steinberg.

Steinberg was able to show otherwise. He found the ribosome was put together using relatively simple structural rules, a bit like a three-dimensional puzzle. For critics who ask why spontaneous formation didn't lead to something other than the ribosome, Steinberg used mathematical models to show there was no other possibility. The ribosome simply wouldn't hold together if it were constructed any other way.

"The assembly followed rules that were logical and for which there were no alternatives," said Michnick. "This forces us to think about bigger structures. This type of thinking is important to understanding all sorts of structure."

For instance, the next step might be to consider why proteins begin to form wrongly spontaneously.

Several neurodegenerative diseases occur when proteins start to malform, said Michnick. Steinberg's research could give insight in how that happens, and why.

Montreal scientists unlock mystery of early molecular mechanism

T

ThatGirl

The point of living? .......

Because you're alive. Isn't that enough? What else would you be doing anyway?

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
The point of living? .......

Because you're alive. Isn't that enough? What else would you be doing anyway?

+1

My point is to enjoy myself as much of possible and be good to the people I love.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i don't live for a point, i live by a way. the difference? one has an end, the other doesn't.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I stay motivated to live by avoiding being suicidal.

:D Yeah, that helps.

I have no justification for ending my life. So, why should I? My main purpose is the pursuit of knowledge. I enjoy it immensely.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
My meaning in life is to try to find the meaning in life. As long as I don't know the answer, or only know parts of it, then I can't stop looking until I die.

And the answer is not 42, sorry.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Too soon you'll discover life is pretty pointless in itself.
Procreation, as the point of each being cannot be our purpose on this planet as procreation in itself doesn't serve to anything.

So enjoy life, because there's nothing else to it.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Too soon you'll discover life is pretty pointless in itself.
Procreation, as the point of each being cannot be our purpose on this planet as procreation in itself doesn't serve to anything.

So enjoy life, because there's nothing else to it.

That's boring though. If you believe life is pointless, then your life becomes pointless. So you have to keep searching for your own meaning in life.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Joy, Fun, Happiness, Spontaneity, Beauty, Life, Learning..

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Nope, I don't think my life is pointless, I can choose to give it a point.
However, life as a concept is, no matter how you put it. What sense you give to your life is entirely another story.
It was just an argument for "carpe diem, baby".

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
There are people with terribly crippling diseases/dying and they desperately want to live. And I think, "How lucky I am to have been given a healthy mind and body and I'm just wasting it by sulking about why this and that happened and why life can't be any fairer?" Well, that really makes me motivated to live this life.

Mole

Permabanned
Life bubbles up from within.

It is only when it stops bubbling that we ask, what is the point of living?