• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

manipulation and MBTI knowledge

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Thank you. Honestly I expect that Victor probably knows this; I'm just a little tired of hearing him prattle on about cults and the "religion" of MBTI as if we're all taking it as literal and dogmatic truth. It's getting a little ridiculous.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
^ Thank you. Honestly I expect that Victor probably knows this; I'm just a little tired of hearing him prattle on about cults and the "religion" of MBTI as if we're all taking it as literal and dogmatic truth. It's getting a little ridiculous.

Perhaps he is just thinking outloud in the hope that people reenforce to themselves that MBTI is not the only route to take when he feels that people are overdoing it. Just typical INFP overthinking stuff i guess:)

He certainly gets reactions out of people. *are these reactions based on feelings*

Mole

Permabanned
...why do you still hang around this message board?

It's true that MBTI is tha perfect environment for game players.

And indeed MBTI is a prothesis for those unable to experience the spontaneous joy of life.

MBTI is a cry of those armoured against life.

Their armour protects them from pain, but unfortunately it chokes and stifles their own feelings.

And being choked and stifled themselves, naturally they wish to choke and stifle others.

They wish to get rid of those who can breathe deeply and feel freely.

And so they never stop harassing and never stop asking -

"Why do you still hang around this notice board?".

Game players hate the feeling of life in themselves, and hate the life in others.

And MBTI provides the perfect game.

Like astrology, MBTI is the game of the masses.

MBTI found its beginning in the mass psychology of fascism.

And today, finds its natural home in the mass psychology of business.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i guess it's not as much to manipulate as much as it is to show yourself as someone you aren't. real manipulation comes from within, such as with NLP - either you're born with it, or you don't have it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use my personality knowledge to adjust my behavior towards people so that I'll get along with them much better. It's the person's decision to be manipulated... and I don't think it's possible to truly make someone do something based entirely on a personality type. There are a lot more variables. But I personally don't manipulate.

wolfy

awsm
Like ajblaise was saying, it's more a question of whether you are trying to influence or manipulate.
It's not wrong to want to get people to do things and to use the leverage you have even if it feels like it sometimes. That seems to be an Fi thing.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's true that MBTI is tha perfect environment for game players.

And indeed MBTI is a prothesis for those unable to experience the spontaneous joy of life.

MBTI is a cry of those armoured against life.

Their armour protects them from pain, but unfortunately it chokes and stifles their own feelings.

And being choked and stifled themselves, naturally they wish to choke and stifle others.

They wish to get rid of those who can breathe deeply and feel freely.

And so they never stop harassing and never stop asking -

"Why do you still hang around this notice board?".

Game players hate the feeling of life in themselves, and hate the life in others.

And MBTI provides the perfect game.

Like astrology, MBTI is the game of the masses.

MBTI found its beginning in the mass psychology of fascism.

And today, finds its natural home in the mass psychology of business.

Oh, another conspiracy. It's a good thing you and bananatrombones are here to alert us about this insidious plot and so many others; after all, since I apparently hate the feeling of life and want to squelch it for others, I don't know how I'd ever get my daily fix of unfulfilling conspiracy theory nonsense without you guys around to light the way.

Carry on, my wayward son.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
If I'd known you were comin' I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake. xxxx

surprise_ur_gay.jpg

Jaguar

This is called, "Begging the question".

And the question being begged is, "Does MBTI provide reliable and valid knowledge?".

And unfortunately the answer is that MBTI does not provide reliable and valid knowledge of the personality.

And so your question - is it right or wrong to use MBTI knowledge? - is moot. And is simply begging the question.

Hot damn, someone with a brain!

Jaguar

The purpose of MBTI jargon is to put the critical mind to sleep, so that we will uncritically accept whatever suggestions are made to us.

MBTI merely gives the illusion of control, when its purpose is to take control out of your hands.

MBTI works. And it works entirely as a cult.

I agree with you Victor that MBTI basically "murders" critical thought.
I studied Jung at length, and frankly I think MBTI prostituted Jung for their own monetary gain.

It's not like you'd catch David Bohm creating--or believing-- MBTI.
I think people tend to forget who created MBTI.

“I know it’s popular, but it’s not at all considered relevant in psychology,” said Jack Block,
professor emeritus of psychology at the University of California-Berkeley.
“It’s a great scam cooked up by one old lady and her daughter.”

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think where everyone gets messed up with MBTI is that they think that an action is from a single function. An action or thought is a summation of functions. Ne and Se all by its lonesome is nothing more than a sensor taking in data. What can a sensor do by itself? Nothing. But Take Ne with Si and throw a judging function in there and your just took in data, molded it and created an internal view or theory. Its elementary, we take in data that relates and rip it apart or we take in pieces and put it together. Thats the basis behind Ne-Si and Se-Ni. Ti and Fi decides on if we put it together by how we feel or by what we think. Te and Fe is nothing more than trying to logically help people think or logically help people feel. Yes you can logically help people feel, but you have to first understand how they feel.

A cult is a group of people, MBTI is a theory. Dont knock a theory because people use it incorrectly.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
As soon as the reduction, the model, becomes the reality it should be natural to question why. When the map becomes a substitute for a long walk in the hills, it's time to throw away the map. :)

Jaguar

MBTI is nothing more than an abbreviation, an arbitrary label given to summarize a group of behaviors observed directly in an individual.

What are you suggesting here, little gremlins slip into the homes of those who take the MBTI test and "directly observe" their behavior?

Once again, it's just a categorization system that provides a little bit of improved efficiency in attempting to observe the behaviors of others and predict future behaviors based upon them.

Person#1 49%S 51%N
Person#2 0%S 100%N

Both have a result of ENTJ.

These two people have no business being in the same group.
There is nothing "efficient" about grossly miscategorizing people.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
The board is called Typology Central, not MBTI Central.

An excellent point. The answer to which lies in the reason for the name change. A good psychologist would like to promulgate his ideas; a good businessman would prefer to suffocate any competition.

You are an astute kitty...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As soon as the reduction, the model, becomes the reality it should be natural to question why. When the map becomes a substitute for a long walk in the hills, it's time to throw away the map. :)

If the purpose is a long walk in the hills then why would you use a map? Are you sure your using MBTI for the right goal?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Why would you do this? What's the point? Is it to make me mad? If you are searching for that anger threshold you are getting close. Do you know loyalty is a two way street? You might not think so, but it is. It is lop-sided street but it's not one way. Do you also know you have done nothing but cause problems for me?

Maybe for whatever reason you think if you breach that threshold it will be the same as last time. Next time I will go work for the competition and the whole world will know why.

I'm not deleting this post. Somebody is getting some very bad advise, and I'm not talking about my e-mail. Have you noticed my messages have been getting increasingly colorful? Why might that be?

If I'm wrong then this post will not matter. But this needs to be said.

:huh:

Jaguar

Why would you do this? What's the point? Is it to make me mad? If you are searching for that anger threshold you are getting close. Do you know loyalty is a two way street? You might not think so, but it is. It is lop-sided street but it's not one way. Do you also know you have done nothing but cause problems for me?

WTF?
Okay, this sounds like a woman scorned.
The problem is, I have no idea who the hell she's talking to.
Hey honey-- go have a martini and chill out.
You are giving me a headache.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I will delete that last post to show I really don't want that. I don't like the competition. But I bet I could fix them, have fun doing it, and get paid a whole lot of money in the process.