User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I will delete that last post to show I really don't want that. I don't like the competition. But I bet I could fix them, have fun doing it, and get paid a whole lot of money in the process.
    You may have to "square me up" before I edit mine, though.

I will delete that last post to show I really don't want that. I don't like the competition. But I bet I could fix them, have fun doing it, and get paid a whole lot of money in the process.

What prescription medication are you taking?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What are you suggesting here, little gremlins slip into the homes of those who take the MBTI test and "directly observe" their behavior?
    No, I'm suggesting that MBTI labels for people are based on personal observations and that all they really do is create arbitrary mental categorizations for them. I watch people, remember how they respond to a given stimulus, group that behavior using MBTI for more efficient categorization, and attempt to use those data sets to predict how they will behave in future related situations.

I'm wrong a lot. In fact, the more balanced a person is, the less useful MBTI is for them--I've found that for some people, it provides little to no added predictability because they have such moderate preferences.

But most people fit closely enough to one or two imaginary archetypes that it provides at least some added degree of predictability to their behavior, and for me it's fun to consider the different possibilities and organize them into a hypothetical framework.

Nobody really fits any of the 16 ideals perfectly--but if you display enough tendencies associated with xxxx type, I will label you as such in my head until further data becomes available such to change my perception of your average overall behavior. In fact, typology is something of an art form, and you could make an argument that it's more art than science--there is certainly a degree of subjectivity in assessing the types of others, especially those that we don't actually know personally. Ultimately, only you can determine which (if any) type you fit best by educating yourself about each type and determining which fits your average behavioral preferences most closely.

This is why you need a lot of data over the long term before your MBTI guesses for people become even reasonably accurate--of course they never reach perfection, but observe enough behavior under enough different conditions over enough trials, and eventually you'll end up with something useful. Personally, I've just chosen MBTI as a convenient nomenclature for it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    NICE

But I bet I could fix them, have fun doing it, and get paid a whole lot of money in the process.
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, it had nothing to do with you.
    Ever seen Invasion of The Body Snatchers?

Banana--

What do you have going on with that deranged woman?
    Lol.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I resent having to manipulate anyone because it means there is someone else who is controlling my situation who I must impress for some imporant reason. It makes me feel like a child. ......In those cases I will do it with STYLE!!!!!!
    I do not think that MBTI plays a role in any manipulation I am cornered into doing.
    It is very fun to use in play, me my Dad often get in classic NT style debates. we enjoy pushing each others buttons all in good fun.
    INtP...RCUEI primary I...5w4...INTp... ILI...The Artist Formerly Known As Car!ssa

MBTI
    INTP

Nevermind. I get it, I think. I just should not have come back here.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    No, I'm suggesting that MBTI labels for people are based on personal observations and that all they really do is create arbitrary mental categorizations for them. I watch people, remember how they respond to a given stimulus, group that behavior using MBTI for more efficient categorization, and attempt to use those data sets to predict how they will behave in future related situations.

I'm wrong a lot. In fact, the more balanced a person is, the less useful MBTI is for them--I've found that for some people, it provides little to no added predictability because they have such moderate preferences.

But most people fit closely enough to one or two imaginary archetypes that it provides at least some added degree of predictability to their behavior, and for me it's fun to consider the different possibilities and organize them into a hypothetical framework.

Nobody really fits any of the 16 ideals perfectly--but if you display enough tendencies associated with xxxx type, I will label you as such in my head until further data becomes available such to change my perception of your average overall behavior. In fact, typology is something of an art form, and you could make an argument that it's more art than science--there is certainly a degree of subjectivity in assessing the types of others, especially those that we don't actually know personally. Ultimately, only you can determine which (if any) type you fit best by educating yourself about each type and determining which fits your average behavioral preferences most closely.

This is why you need a lot of data over the long term before your MBTI guesses for people become even reasonably accurate--of course they never reach perfection, but observe enough behavior under enough different conditions over enough trials, and eventually you'll end up with something useful. Personally, I've just chosen MBTI as a convenient nomenclature for it.
    You fail because you are trying to predict something using MBTI. Its not meant to be used that way. It is not a tool to predict someone, it is a tool to help understand intentions, motivations, strengths, weaknesses. I think I have typed maybe 4-5 people accurately IRL and thats because I already have a lifetime of knowing who they are, around me and arounds others. The types I can identify the easiest are the types I have spent my life with. I know how they handle stress, what types of things they do for others, how they act when they are happy, etc. I still dont try to predict what they will do.

MBTI
    NICE

Nevermind. I get it, I think. I just should not have come back here.
    The love of money is the root of all evil.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    You fail because you are trying to predict something using MBTI. Its not meant to be used that way. It is not a tool to predict someone, it is a tool to help understand intentions, motivations, strengths, weaknesses.
    First of all, I agree with poki that MBTI's use is not to predict.
    Ideally, it should be used for what poki suggests.
    But then I take issue that MBTI can even be used for such,
    since I do not think that "pre-packaged" function orders are what is true of people.
    MBTI was created for the masses.
    It was not created for accuracy.

If either of you are into research, Google
    Singer Loomis SL-TDI
    Singer and Loomis decided to test the MBTI assumptions and MBTI failed.

Here's an example of a technical expert's profile:

Introverted Thinking Dominant
    Extravert Sensation Auxiliary
    Extraverted Thinking Auxiliary
    Introverted Feeling Mid-Mode
    Introverted Sensation Mid-Mode
    Extraverted Intuition Mid-Mode
    Introverted Feeling Least Developed
    Extraverted Intuition Least Developed

Here's an example of a team leader's profile:

Extraverted Sensation Dominant
    Extraverted Thinking Dominant
    Extraverted Intuition Auxiliary
    Introverted Feeling Mid-Mode
    Introverted Thinking Mid-Mode
    Introverted Sensing Mid-Mode
    Extraverted Feeling Least Developed
    Introverted Intuition Least Developed

Immediately you will notice the function order possibilities are now there in the SL-TDI,
    that are not permitted in the MBTI.

If you are into serious reading about Singer Loomis SL-TDI:

http://www.haskayne.ucalgary.ca/hask...ger-loomis.pdf