• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

manipulation and MBTI knowledge

Jaguar

I type the living crap out of folks. I use it to build predictive models of what thier most likely behavior will be and then I mold my interactions accordingly due to what I expect thier needs to be and what I need to get from them (in terms of work stuff hopefully in a nonmanipulative manner).

Person X shows his or her hand (ass, actually),
realizes what a manipulative dirtbag they really are,
then back-pedals to say:
"Hopefully in a non-manipulative manner."

What is it with people?
They're so untalented at reading others,
they have to resort to artificial constructs?
What a crock.

I wouldn't trust you with even mowing my lawn.
You might manipulate each blade of grass.
:D

sculpting

Person X shows his or her hand (ass, actually),
realizes what a manipulative dirtbag they really are,
then back-pedals to say:
"Hopefully in a non-manipulative manner."

What is it with people?
They're so untalented at reading others,
they have to resort to artificial constructs?
What a crock.

I wouldn't trust you with even mowing my lawn.
You might manipulate each blade of grass.
:D

My electric lawnmower would massage each one gently, individually out of it's delicate little root in the ground, pluck it from the top, and oh so sweetly muchify it back onto the lawn, as to find its rightful place in the world. Oh, how id love them all ,my blades of grass....

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Fundamental to cooperation is trust. Without trust, there can be no cooperation and without cooperation nothing would ever get done. We'd be sad robots. Maybe you already are; maybe not. No answer required.

But gamers will devise rules, set parameters, do the maths and come up with a payoff matrix. Game theorists live in a world of anonymous agents, each rational and each expected to chose a route that will maximise a payoff. In other words, the players are predictable. There's only one snag - and it's the same snag as MBTI - people just aren't that predictable, nor willing to be manipulated or accept their role in the game; even if it means making "irrational" choices.

I'm at a loss with some characters here at TypologyC. There is no payoff except making a few chums along the way and how far you want to take that. You could probably do better for yourself joining a dance class (as Victor has) or a book club, but hey, that involves leaving the house and connecting with people the old-fashioned way. Face to face. Conversely, if you cannot or won't connect to anyone on anything other than a win-lose basis, you will simply experience continued (albeit virtual) rejection, be treated as a troll or ignored. You may have the good fortune to attract other gamers; lucky you...

When people play games trust is suspended, it becomes irrelevant. It needs to be irrelevant for the game to work. But what might be useful buying a house seems oddly out of place when "social networking".

And when you subtract trust, its removes authenticity and you are procluded from making any real connections. It's part of the baggage that goes with the gaming.

But making authentic connections is the only real payoff.

By definition, if you play games you will never make any real connections, which is actually the point of any social networking site. If you cannot make authentic connections, then there is no point. Nada.

So. Such games on social networking fora are not only indicative of an inability to connect socially they are - and here's the killer - symptomatic of how rubbish some characters are at game theory or MBTI.:smile:

And the question, "Why are you here?" (which has been asked of Victor several times by simulatedworld) - rears it's head...

Ironically, it's a question Victor is in a better position to ask. But then, he's far too polite to be that unsubtle.

:)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Grain of salt?
Wake up and smell the coffee.
All you have to do is scan the subect lines of this board to know people take this crap seriously.

ENTJ *uckheads
INFP wimps
Sensotard
ENTP assholes

I could go on. Really, the nonsense is astounding.
Many of the lunes on this board treat S's as if they have 0% N,
and N's as if they have 0% S.
Seriously, half the time I laugh at the stupidity and the other half I just shake my head.

I can count on one hand the individuals I deem reasonable on this board.
Thank God they even exist.

If this isn't real, then why are there five times as many posts in the N communities than the S communities? FIVE TIMES MOAR. That denotes to me a serious difference in the expression of N and S personality types. Not only that, but many NTs are deeply annoyed by the emotionality of NFs - which is very real. I'm an introvert and extroverts can make me feel drained. Of course you can't peg people and stereotype them by their type, but there's obviously truth to it, and it's much more accurate than astrology which is based on planetary position at time of birth rather than observable personality traits o_O. Also, anybody who knows anything about MBTI know that some people are closer to the borderline than others. Some Is are on the border of E, but some Is are extremely introverted. Same for sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling, judging/perceiving, which is why some formats of the test offer percentages. I agree that the heavy stereotypes can be damaging, but that doesn't mean that it isn't valid as a guideline.

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty much everybody uses some tool to optimize their interfacing experience. Observed individual behavior, gut/instinct/intuition, a whole blooming book about patterns and structures.

Some people need the book.

Jaguar

And the question, "Why are you here?" (which has been asked of Victor several times by simulatedworld) - rears it's head...

Ironically, it's a question Victor is in a better position to ask. But then, he's far too polite to be that unsubtle.

I know why Victor is here. That's why I smile reading his comments.
So would anyone where insight into others is like breathing.
I find him refreshingly relentless and multifaceted.
No one would ever call him boring.

Now simulated world is a snorkeler.
Swims on top of the water.
Not exactly multifaceted or unique.

People come to forums for multitudinous reasons.
Some might be here for reasons you can't fathom.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Did it make you feel better to have an emotional meltdown in public?
You'd really suck at playing poker. :D

Yes, it did make me feel better. You--whoever you are--suck as strategy. You made me and you are fueling me ego. If this house of cards comes crashing down it will be your fault. You will have to submit your resignation.

I don't see why it has to be like this. But if you insist ...

But gamers will devise rules, set parameters, do the maths and come up with a payoff matrix. Game theorists live in a world of anonymous agents, each rational and each expected to chose a route that will maximise a payoff. In other words, the players are predictable. There's only one snag - and it's the same snag as MBTI - people just aren't that predictable, nor willing to be manipulated or accept their role in the game; even if it means making "irrational" choices.

True. I am a "gamer". I do try to manipulate every blade of grass. It's all I know. If I knew how to make friend, I would. That's not my strength.

Jaguar

Of course you can't peg people and stereotype them by their type,

Sure you can, it's done here every day. Lol. That was my point.

Also, anybody who knows anything about MBTI know that some people are closer to the borderline than others.

I've made that point repeatedly in other threads.

Person #1 49%S 51% N
Person #2 0% S 100% N

Both of these can get a result of ENTJ
They do not belong in the same group.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're a mental snorkeler.
I'm a mental scuba diver.

Two different approaches.
Neither is right or wrong.

Interesting metaphor.

I see where you're coming from--you're more interested in the full-on deeply personal explanations and motivations for the behaviors. If you want that, go to med school and become a psychiatrist, because you certainly won't get it from MBTI or any similar pop-psychology system. Though some people around here will insist that they can pinpoint exact Jungian functional observations in your subjective experience, I try to avoid taking them too seriously as much as I can.

I would assume that anyone who understands the inherent limitations upon such grouping systems would grasp this obvious caveat--but you're right, lots of people still miss it.

Ironically, the problem is that they want Sensing accuracy from an iNtuitive system. When you take a statement directed as a general observation at an entire group, and misinterpret it by applying it as a specific critique to every individual in that group, you've missed the point. You're arguing that we can't call it an oak forest because it contains a couple of pine trees--the Sensing perspective is not as interested in anything that can't be of immediate and practical use in the real world, so it doesn't care if we can make a statement about what should theoretically happen on average over time.

From the Sensing perspective, if you can't reliably give concrete information about the reality of what is happening this time, your information is irrelevant--we don't get to repeat events until luck averages out, so who needs the theory about what will probably happen on average?

The advantage of a Sensing perspective, of course, is that its superior connection with the reality of the present allows it to examine the details of that particular tree or this particular instance with a higher degree of precision--I believe this is related to the "mental scuba diving" that you refer to.

Indeed, iNtuitive types tend to prefer "mental snorkeling" in the form of generalized and far-reaching explanations--just give me the gist so I can connect it to something else; I don't need to know all the details. This perspective sacrifices attention to detail and exact knowledge in order to gain a greater awareness of broader context, patterns and relationships.

Obviously each has its relative strengths and weaknesses, and clearly everyone uses both perspectives quite often. It should make perfect sense why N types are more often attracted to MBTI--it gives them a broad, abstract summary from which to conceptualize others, and the finer details are beside the point.

We must be careful not to expect S-quality specific accuracy from an N system (and similarly, not to expect N-quality summation from an S system.)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fundamental to cooperation is trust. Without trust, there can be no cooperation and without cooperation nothing would ever get done. We'd be sad robots. Maybe you already are; maybe not. No answer required.

I'm at a loss with some characters here at TypologyC. There is no payoff except making a few chums along the way and how far you want to take that. You could probably do better for yourself joining a dance class (as Victor has) or a book club, but hey, that involves leaving the house and connecting with people the old-fashioned way. Face to face. Conversely, if you cannot or won't connect to anyone on anything other than a win-lose basis, you will simply experience continued (albeit virtual) rejection, be treated as a troll or ignored. You may have the good fortune to attract other gamers; lucky you...

When people play games trust is suspended, it becomes irrelevant. It needs to be irrelevant for the game to work. But what might be useful buying a house seems oddly out of place when "social networking".

And when you subtract trust, its removes authenticity and you are procluded from making any real connections. It's part of the baggage that goes with the gaming.

But making authentic connections is the only real payoff.

By definition, if you play games you will never make any real connections, which is actually the point of any social networking site. If you cannot make authentic connections, then there is no point. Nada.

So. Such games on social networking fora are not only indicative of an inability to connect socially they are - and here's the killer - symptomatic of how rubbish some characters are at game theory or MBTI.:smile:

:)

Pretty interesting theory. I've actually developed a few personal connections on this forum through mutual interest in game-playing and used this common interest to develop more personal connections. The common interest in competition gives way to trust enough to produce relationships where game-players feel comfortable being genuine with each other.

Of course, the internet isn't really my primary place for developing personal connections, so why should I care if it doesn't work out?

That's really the point here, BT. You seem to think using the forum for game-playing must be symptomatic of lack of real personal connections, but I don't see it that way--I use the games played here in order to better understand what will and won't work well with real people. Not for the purpose of manipulating them so much as for the ability to better identify with the value systems and mindsets from which others construct their worldviews.

Surprisingly, in the process, I've actually become a more tolerant and understanding person--though I do still enjoy firing off a good rant. Helps with stress sometimes. ^_^

In other words, I don't need to develop genuine connections with many people here--I have this thing called real life for that. I'm sure you know all about my personal life though, just like everyone else on the forum with way too much confidence in his personal hunches about the motivations of others.

But if it's easier for you to rationalize my behavior by labeling it a cry for help and imagining that I have no legitimate emotional connections to people in my real life, knock yourself out.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not getting sucked back into this. I know all about manipulation. I know how it works. I know you know how it works. I said it before and I'll say it again. If you mess with my head you're playing with fire. Maybe you enjoy it. Maybe you get some kind of pleasure from seeing me explode like that. Whatever. It's up to you. Just make your choices carefully.:yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I must say I've gotten more giggles from the dynamics in this thread than any other thus far.:rofl1:

Jaguar

Interesting metaphor.

You can have an accurate (s) big picture (n)
It's called synthesis.

By the way, the metaphor did not refer to specificity, as in trees.
Snorkeling= surface level. Lacking depth.
Scuba diving= deep below the surface level. Depth.

Plenty of N people are Scuba divers.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can have an accurate (s) big picture (n)
It's called synthesis.

By the way, the metaphor did not refer to specificity, as in trees.
Snorkeling= surface level. Lacking depth.
Scuba diving= deep below the surface level. Depth.

Plenty of N people are Scuba divers.

In that case, I have to wonder where your justification for calling me not in depth is.

I don't use MBTI for more than surface level behavioral analysis because it isn't meant for that--not because I'm incapable of understanding depth.

Repeatedly holding MBTI to an unrealistic standard and shooting it down because it doesn't do something it's not supposed to do is not indicative of depth--it's indicative of willful misinterpretation of the system, in this case, in order to get on a soap box and preach about the emotional shortcomings of people you don't know anywhere near well enough to be drawing such conclusions about.

You can have an accurate big picture, sure, but greater awareness of it reduces the awareness of attention to detail in the specific pieces of that picture. You can focus on the trees or on the forest itself, but you can't focus on both simultaneously as completely as you can focus on one at a time. We all use both sometimes, but for most people, one perspective is used more often than the other. The point, of course, is that you can't declare a system like MBTI invalid by holding it up to a standard it doesn't purport to meet.

It's not going to give consistently reliable information or guarantee to be useful in any particular instance--it doesn't need to do this to be have intuitive value.

As you said, two perspectives, and neither is right or wrong.

But don't mind me--I'll just be over here in the corner, pointing out the sloppy errors of Ni doms who don't find it necessary to hold their intuitions to internally consistent standards. BT and Victor have a feeling that I play games to hide total inability to experience interpersonal connections, so why should mere evidence convince them otherwise?

They'll just keep right on with the comical assumption that my denial of such an accusation serves as nothing but evidence of its truth value.

Care for a cup of your own bathwater? It's delicious, reassuring, and guaranteed to cure cognitive dissonance in a jiffy!

Jaguar

In that case, I have to wonder where your justification for calling me not in depth is.

A person with depth is not the same as "in depth."

Repeatedly holding MBTI to an unrealistic standard

What is so "unrealistic" about asking something so simple of a theory,
that it provide for those to be grouped together who are truly similar?

There are loads of people who straddle the polarities,
and yet they are thrown into the same group as if they are all the same.
Well they are not.

The point, of course, is that you can't declare a system like MBTI invalid by holding it up to a standard it doesn't purport to meet.

I'm surprised to see you claiming what I can or cannot declare about MBTI,
when you don't even use MBTI the way it was originally intended.
I'm referring to function order. That's a bit hypocritical of you.

ENTP doesn't just yield a percentage of E-N-T-P,
it implies a dominant function, and on down the function order line.

So in a way, you are claiming it invalid since you don't even use the original structure,
created by Myers and Briggs.

Care for a cup of your own bathwater?

Only if you let me throw you out with it,
since I have been known to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
:rolleyes:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
In other words, I don't need to develop genuine connections with many people here--I have this thing called real life for that.

Now we know. Enjoy your life.

But if it's easier for you to rationalize my behavior by labeling it a cry for help and imagining that I have no legitimate emotional connections to people in my real life, knock yourself out.

I should have clarified. The comments were not aimed at you. I was very careful not to name any names, apart from at the end when I used a quote by you to segway into my final point. A crime I'm sure you'll forgive as you've committed it several times yourself.:newwink:

I wholeheartedly apologise if you thought it specific in any way to you: it was meant generally for a number of characters who shall remain nameless. Not that it matters.

All the best.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty interesting theory. I've actually developed a few personal connections on this forum through mutual interest in game-playing and used this common interest to develop more personal connections. The common interest in competition gives way to trust enough to produce relationships where game-players feel comfortable being genuine with each other.

Of course, the internet isn't really my primary place for developing personal connections, so why should I care if it doesn't work out?

That's really the point here, BT. You seem to think using the forum for game-playing must be symptomatic of lack of real personal connections, but I don't see it that way--I use the games played here in order to better understand what will and won't work well with real people. Not for the purpose of manipulating them so much as for the ability to better identify with the value systems and mindsets from which others construct their worldviews.

Surprisingly, in the process, I've actually become a more tolerant and understanding person--though I do still enjoy firing off a good rant. Helps with stress sometimes. ^_^

In other words, I don't need to develop genuine connections with many people here--I have this thing called real life for that. I'm sure you know all about my personal life though, just like everyone else on the forum with way too much confidence in his personal hunches about the motivations of others.

Do you really think I'm stupid enough to fall for this? If the original proprietors were still in control of this forum my off topic posts would have been long gone and I would have been on the receiving end of a good private message spanking by now. I'm a reasonable guy. If you want something, why don't you just ask?:D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you really think I'm stupid enough to fall for this? If the original proprietors were still in control of this forum my off topic posts would have been long gone and I would have been on the receiving end of a good private message spanking by now. I'm a reasonable guy. If you want something, why don't you just ask?:D

Have you ever been assessed for paranoid schizophrenia? I knew of this lady once who was angry because she was convinced that her ex was sending her private messages in the news paper. This appears to be what is going on here.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Have you ever been assessed for paranoid schizophrenia? I knew of this lady once who was angry because she was convinced that her ex was sending her private messages in the news paper. This appears to be what is going on here.

If you don't know what I'm talking about it has nothing to do with you? Who said anything about private messages? What private messages?

Jaguar

If the original proprietors were still in control of this forum my off topic posts would have been long gone and I would have been on the receiving end of a good private message spanking by now.

So that's what this is all about. Sour grapes.
Did it ever occur to you that freedom of speech is preferable to restrictive "spankings"?
We don't need Hitler running this board.
You need professional help.
Get some.