• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've been having thoughts/doubts lately about my abilities. Last night I was wandering around and decided to roll into a bookstore. I had no aim or purpose in being there, but I drifted on into the psychology section. The books on emotional intelligence caught my eye and peaked my interest in the subject. So this morning I took a long/comprehensive test from here-

Queendom.com: Tests, Tests, Tests and more Tests, The biggest testing center in the world with personality, intelligence, relationship, career and mental health related tests.

And I got a score of 98 :/. Apparently that is below average. It's not surprising considering I'm an INTP, but still, I think it holds me back a lot and I would like to work on increasing my emotional intelligence in a non-painful way if it exists :p .

Has anyone else ever taken an EQ test? What do you think about the whole concept? What are the supposedly good methods for increasing EQ?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
"What are the supposedly good methods for increasing EQ? "

Talk to NFPs, often! And preferably female ones

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
"What are the supposedly good methods for increasing EQ? "

Talk to NFPs, often! And preferably female ones

If that's the case then I'm sure I've gained a quite few EQ points over the past few months, if internet convo counts...

Snow Turtle

Depends on the sort of EQ that we're talking about. Are you sure you are as bad as you think you are?

If it makes you feel better. I got 90 on that test which is also below average. So much for that :D

Mole

Permabanned
What are the supposedly good methods for increasing EQ?

The hallmark of emotional intelligence is restraint.

And the very question, "How can I increase my emotional intelligence", shows a lack of restraint.

In fact the question takes you in exactly the opposite direction.

I mean, ask yourself, "Do I wish to learn to be more restrained?".

And if the answer is no, then you don't want to be more emotionally intelligent.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just took that test and got an 82... most of the stuff on the EQ tests just isn't important to me.

Ways to improve (if you really think that is important):
Match up those faces with the emoticons that tell you which emotion it is, and take a good guess based on that.
Pretend you are watching reality TV when you see those pictures, not real life.
Remember that talking about your feelings is a good thing. :sick:

And most importantly, don't take advice on EQ tests from someone with an EQ of 82 :newwink:

And the very question, "How can I increase my emotional intelligence", shows a lack of restraint.

In fact the question takes you in exactly the opposite direction.

I mean, ask yourself, "Do I wish to learn to be more restrained?".

And if the answer is no, then you don't want to be more emotionally intelligent.

Wow, EQ is really evil isn't it?
I do not want to be restrained :steam:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It seems like you get pretty emotional when you think about politics and current events, so maybe just do more of that.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8

How the heck do you figure that? How does wanting to make improvements equate to a lack of restraint? And judging by what I've read about EQ, emotional control/restraint is only a portion of what counts towards your "emotional intelligence".

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I scored a 120, which is apparently 91st percentile. That is nice to read. I know I was probably not as good at reading the emotions on the faces without the context added by the later questions, but I am pretty good at determining the course of action in a given situation when emotions are running high. High IQ/high EQ FTW! ;)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I scored a 120, which is apparently 91st percentile. That is nice to read. I know I was probably not as good at reading the emotions on the faces without the context added by the later questions, but I am pretty good at determining the course of action in a given situation when emotions are running high. High IQ/high EQ FTW! ;)

Well my IQ is very high, so it balances out with the lower EQ ;) .

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I have a pretty high EQ but it's not a skill that comes naturally to me but rather something I built up over the years.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I think I have a pretty high EQ but it's not a skill that comes naturally to me but rather something I built up over the years.

Take the test and see. I'm interested how the INTPs here compare.

Mole

Permabanned

You have always struck me as being rather restrained, Mercury.

And I admit, at times, a little too restrained for my taste.

But it only goes to prove you are more emotionally intelligent than I.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, i don't agree with most of the questions.

For example:

I feel like I worry about things that other people don't even think about.

Ofcourse I do, I'm an INTP and KNOW my mind is thinking things no one else would, but that in itself doesn't worry me. Does the test take that into account when I strike Most of the Time?

Or for example:

I feel uneasy in situations where I am expected to display affection.

I assume I only have to display affection to close friends? In which case I won't feel uneasy. But if you expect me to display affection to a stranger, then yes, very uneasy. But to me, I should not be expected to display affection then.

in other words, I think INTP's have an entirely different view on EQ and can not be tested in this manner.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You have always struck me as being rather restrained, Mercury.

And I admit, at times, a little too restrained for my taste.

But it only goes to prove you are more emotionally intelligent than I.

That's interesting. "Restrained" would be one of the LAST things I'd be called by people IRL. "Crazy," "erratic," "hilarious," "loudmouth," etc. usually.

Mole

Permabanned
Wow, EQ is really evil isn't it?
I do not want to be restrained :steam:

Yep, you got it.

Yes, we are told to express our emotions, we are told to develop our full potential and we are told to maximise our self esteem.

So, in such a world, emotional intelligence is evil, isn't it?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well my IQ is very high, so it balances out with the lower EQ ;) .

Wouldn't a high IQ and a high EQ be MORE balanced? :D My IQ is more higher than the mean than my EQ is, anyway, but that is fine. Both are useful, but neither is an end-all, be-all.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, i don't agree with most of the questions.

For example:

I feel like I worry about things that other people don't even think about.

Ofcourse I do, I'm an INTP and KNOW my mind is thinking things no one else would, but that in itself doesn't worry me. Does the test take that into account when I strike Most of the Time?

Or for example:

I feel uneasy in situations where I am expected to display affection.

I assume I only have to display affection to close friends? In which case I won't feel uneasy. But if you expect me to display affection to a stranger, then yes, very uneasy. But to me, I should not be expected to display affection then.

in other words, I think INTP's have an entirely different view on EQ and can not be tested in this manner.

Well did you at least finish the test?

Mole

Permabanned
That's interesting. "Restrained" would be one of the LAST things I'd be called by people IRL. "Crazy," "erratic," "hilarious," "loudmouth," etc. usually.

Nah, you are more restrained than me.

But of course it is all relative.

And so I do defer to you in the matter of emotional intelligence.

It's interesting - I defer to Wildcat in matters of morality and you in matters of emotional intelligence.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well did you at least finish the test?

No. :( I got to the 20th question or so. They are too situational and I can already see the pattern in which the points are given and highly disagree with the way they distribute points.