• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think eq is a viable if immeasurable concept. the idea being that to be in touch with your emotions is to be aware of another center of intelligence that can help you make decisions, weigh things out, and know what you want.

in terms of MB i find feeling to be the subjective relationships we use that include ourselves on the map, that we are part of, that affect us and somewhat define us (resisting) our desires and shaping our self-image.

when thinking about emotional responses in light of this, it gets tricky. but the idea that we can use this information and the slight like kinesthetic proprioceptive changes that give us a sense of these relationships can tell us things that, if we just suppress them, we will be missing out on. adding your own social relationships, ideals, desires, images etc to the equation when you engage judgment.

of course, on tests it comes out very Fe or Fi and that is not really relevant for much of the population. Fe types will be better at recognizing contextual and situational clues if their Fe is good. Fi will be better at understanding the way things feel internally, the way they linger, taste, finish, etc and fit in an overall like category fo significance to the self.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I got 109 (73 percentile, slightly below average).

I feel strange about this, because I am used to being seen as extremely sensitive, both to others and myself.

At the risk of sounding like a sour grape, I will say that I agree the test seems biased towards both certain extrovert types as well as those who agree with whomever wrote the test.

Some of the answers are certainly left open to interpretation. I'm not going to take this test too seriously.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Wow, I thought I did better than this...

Subscale IQ score = 73
Subscale percentile = 4

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is very poor. People who score like you do feel that they have trouble dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They struggle to overcome difficulties in their lives and they are unable to control their moods. It’s hard for them to understand how best to motivate themselves and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions quite difficult, for several reasons. They may have trouble allowing themselves to get close with others, finding it difficult to be vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having trouble offering support to others, likely due to the fact that they do not understand where others are coming from or they lack ideas about how best to help. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.

hommefatal

Snapshot Report
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 117
Subscale percentile = 87

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is average. People who score like you do feel that their ability to understand and deal with their own emotions and those of others is acceptable but could still use some improvement. Emotionally intelligent people have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are generally able to control their moods. It’s easy for them to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having an easy time offering support to others; likely due to an empathetic nature and a clear mind when it comes to offering good advice. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Snapshot Report
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 105
Subscale percentile = 63

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is slightly below average. People who score like you do feel that their ability to understand and deal with their own emotions and those of others is just barely acceptable. Emotionally intelligent people have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are generally able to control their moods. It’s easy for them to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having an easy time offering support to others; likely due to an empathetic nature and a solid ability to offer advice. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.

I'm an enfj and I didn't do well... wth? I think this test is stupid. It told me I was slightly below average then talked about how I have an easy time dealing with people. I wish I could post the graph. It had 105 to the left of 100. I think they're just trying to sell us the official test or something. In hopes that the official one would be more nuanced to show that we have enough emotional processing capability to be considered human. Oh well. Waste of 10 minutes.

LucrativeSid

But how do you know, since you haven't had a chance to test that theory?

And can you really qualify someone as emotionally healthy because s/he cries whenever the urge strikes? What if that urge happens frequently? I have a friend who cries constantly and I would hardly call him emotionally healthy.

It's only measuring one thing. Whether you hold it back or not. You don't hold it back. Done deal. That's the same as choosing irrelevant, in your case. I agree about your friend, but this is only one question measuring one thing. They can't all be perfect!

But I don't really care, because honestly, I thought those exact things when I read the question. I could argue just to argue, but I'll stop now.

Afkan

Emotional Intelligence Test

Snapshot Report
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 146
Subscale percentile = 99.91

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is excellent. People who score like you do feel that they have almost no trouble understanding and dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are able to control their moods. It’s easy for them to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having an easy time offering support to others; this is likely due to an empathetic nature and a clear mind when it comes to offering good advice.

For what its worth, I don't think the test is a good instrument. Their scales are a little screwy.

Plus, look at the bottom of the IQ profile- "empathetic" is not even a word. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Empathic is proper.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh good lord. I've had an epiphany. This site has made me realize what I am. All my life I knew there was something different about me, something special that the other children didn't have. I was an "indigo child" all along and never knew it. How many other indigo children are out there, lost and confused in the urban wilderness? How will I ever repay you for this wonderful gift. Don't you douche bags have anything better to do?

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Now that I've read this thread I see it's not so bad. But I will never trust anything here after the crap you tried to pull. I will always looks suspiciously at anything you do so you might as well give up now.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Snapshot Report
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 138
Subscale percentile = 99

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is excellent. People who score like you do feel that they have almost no trouble understanding and dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are able to control their moods. It’s easy for them to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having an easy time offering support to others; this is likely due to an empathetic nature and a clear mind when it comes to offering good advice.

Wow. I must be a real genius!!! :D

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Since you like to waste so much time, go back and read everything I've written. There is only one thing I ever claimed to be. Look at the context and ask if was reasonable. Anything else you invented all by yourselves.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EQ = 103, 58th percentile.
I seriously thought that the test was to pick on aspies, I thought I'd get some unfathomable score. You'd think that people on the internet would probably have lower scores than those not on the web. I can't see why so many people had issues with the questions, you don't know how they're going to grade them, or what they are grading them on. But really... who cares? it's just a quiz, chill! CHILL! @ Little Linguist (6 or 7 pages back), we all have eyes, and we can all use them, regardless of our lack of Se.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Are there any serious EQ or SQ (Social Quotient) tests available? Like academic/scientific ones?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Are there any serious EQ or SQ (Social Quotient) tests available? Like academic/scientific ones?

Unlikely in an online scenario; the test variables are often too dynamic to adequately summarize in a multiple-choice evaluation.

A serious, emprical framework would likely involve real time response models.

Afkan

As Night said, there aren't any online "good" ones, ie statistically proven valid/reliable, standardized.

The more "official" emotional intelligence scales are: EQ-i, EQ-360, and MSCEIT. A person who desires to take one of these scales should seek out a psychologist. Not all psychologists are able to give the tests, either. One must "buy into" giving such a test, meaning taking expensive courses in order to certify and even obtain the test to give in the first place. One might expect to pay around $500 or more for such an assessment. Not very practical.

The good news is that the stereotype of high iq = low eq stereotype is just a myth. Such ppl are very, very rare. I would expect this to mean the test taken in this thread is not valid in the least, as many individuals received scores much lower than is likely.

For example, yes, 70 and below is considered literally "mental retardation." It is extremely unlikely for so many to take the test to get such low scores, bc to post on the forum most individuals would have an iq of at least 100. That's a guess, but honestly, folks, individuals with IQ's 90 and below would struggle to spend their free time engaging in discussion about personality type in an online forum. Trust me. I have worked with this population quite closely.

RARITY. If most users of the forum have iqs of at least 100, and I would venture to say the majority here is higher than in the general pop, at least 110 (which is VERY likely, given the fact that is not even one standard deviation from the mean) then for the majority of those who took the test to score so lowly? Impossible, if the test were truly valid. Even for individuals who believe or feel their EQ is lower than their IQ for whatever reason, the likelihood that their EQ is lower than IQ more than, say, 10 pts would be VERY VERY RARE. Extremely. Like so rare that it would take severe brain damage, basically, or being locked in a closet for 5 years during childhood while being tutored (and what is the likelihood of that?) in order for IQ to not lag behind too much.

From my experience, those who feel uncomfortable in social situations do merely bc they feel uncomfortable in social situations. Such a "feeling" does NOT indicate low EQ. What does this mean? Such individuals would benefit greatly from socializing more instead of avoiding social contact, or, from just hanging out and doing what you are already doing if it makes you happy. It doesn't really matter. What matters is what it takes to maintain your self-respect, sanity, and self-esteem.

For those that would like to strengthen confidence in their social/emotional intelligence, consider practicing the following, which are scales of one of the intelligence test I mentioned in the beginning of this post.

5 Domains of Social Intelligence
1. Knowing one's emotions. Self-awareness, recognizing a feeling when it happens.
2. Managing Emotions. The ability of handling emotions so they are appropriate.
3. Motivating oneself. Marshalling emotions in the service of a goal.
4. Recognizing emotions in others. Empathy, social awareness.
5. Handling Relationships. Skill in managing emotions in others.

Or, if you prefer,
4 Domains of Social Intelligence
1. Self-Awareness (Emotional Self-Awareness, Accurate Self-Assessment and Self Confidence)
2. Self-Management (Emotional Self-Control, Transparency (Trustworthiness), Adaptability, Achievement Orientation, Initiative, Optimism, Conscientiousness)
3. Social Awareness (Empathy, Organizational Awareness, Service Orientation)
4. Leadership Management (Inspirational Leadership, Influence, Developing Others, Change Catalyst, Conflict Management, Building Bonds, Teamwork and Collaboration, Communication)

Oh, and one more thing. The developers of these tests adhere to the belief that these abilities are NOT innate, but learned.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
As Night said, there aren't any online "good" ones, ie statistically proven valid/reliable, standardized.

The more "official" emotional intelligence scales are: EQ-i, EQ-360, and MSCEIT. A person who desires to take one of these scales should seek out a psychologist. Not all psychologists are able to give the tests, either. One must "buy into" giving such a test, meaning taking expensive courses in order to certify and even obtain the test to give in the first place. One might expect to pay around $500 or more for such an assessment. Not very practical.

The good news is that the stereotype of high iq = low eq stereotype is just a myth. Such ppl are very, very rare. I would expect this to mean the test taken in this thread is not valid in the least, as many individuals received scores much lower than is likely.

For example, yes, 70 and below is considered literally "mental retardation." It is extremely unlikely for so many to take the test to get such low scores, bc to post on the forum most individuals would have an iq of at least 100. That's a guess, but honestly, folks, individuals with IQ's 90 and below would struggle to spend their free time engaging in discussion about personality type in an online forum. Trust me. I have worked with this population quite closely.

RARITY. If most users of the forum have iqs of at least 100, and I would venture to say the majority here is higher than in the general pop, at least 110 (which is VERY likely, given the fact that is not even one standard deviation from the mean) then for the majority of those who took the test to score so lowly? Impossible, if the test were truly valid. Even for individuals who believe or feel their EQ is lower than their IQ for whatever reason, the likelihood that their EQ is lower than IQ more than, say, 10 pts would be VERY VERY RARE. Extremely. Like so rare that it would take severe brain damage, basically, or being locked in a closet for 5 years during childhood while being tutored (and what is the likelihood of that?) in order for IQ to not lag behind too much.

From my experience, those who feel uncomfortable in social situations do merely bc they feel uncomfortable in social situations. Such a "feeling" does NOT indicate low EQ. What does this mean? Such individuals would benefit greatly from socializing more instead of avoiding social contact, or, from just hanging out and doing what you are already doing if it makes you happy. It doesn't really matter. What matters is what it takes to maintain your self-respect, sanity, and self-esteem.

For those that would like to strengthen confidence in their social/emotional intelligence, consider practicing the following, which are scales of one of the intelligence test I mentioned in the beginning of this post.

5 Domains of Social Intelligence
1. Knowing one's emotions. Self-awareness, recognizing a feeling when it happens.
2. Managing Emotions. The ability of handling emotions so they are appropriate.
3. Motivating oneself. Marshalling emotions in the service of a goal.
4. Recognizing emotions in others. Empathy, social awareness.
5. Handling Relationships. Skill in managing emotions in others.

Or, if you prefer,
4 Domains of Social Intelligence
1. Self-Awareness (Emotional Self-Awareness, Accurate Self-Assessment and Self Confidence)
2. Self-Management (Emotional Self-Control, Transparency (Trustworthiness), Adaptability, Achievement Orientation, Initiative, Optimism, Conscientiousness)
3. Social Awareness (Empathy, Organizational Awareness, Service Orientation)
4. Leadership Management (Inspirational Leadership, Influence, Developing Others, Change Catalyst, Conflict Management, Building Bonds, Teamwork and Collaboration, Communication)

Oh, and one more thing. The developers of these tests adhere to the belief that these abilities are NOT innate, but learned.

Thank you for citing a few tests, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Why wouldn't the developers acknowledge a genetic component? Is the research still pretty new?

Afkan

Thank you for citing a few tests, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Why wouldn't the developers acknowledge a genetic component? Is the research still pretty new?

No problem! I love this stuff.

Yes, measuring emotional intelligence is still in the bloodletting phase. The concept of IQ has been around for much longer. Always the nature vs. nurture debate, right? Emotional intelligence is thought to be more dependent on environment than IQ- but that could be argued, bc theoretically emotional intelligence's "glass ceiling" is largely determined by the potential of IQ "range".

Does temperament have any bearing on emotional intelligence? Does temperament have a genetic component?

Regardless, I wanted to highlight the "not innate...but learned..." portion to help undo some of the damage done by the pressure to behave a certain way or be more like a certain type. We forget that although the U.S. is predominantly extroverted (75% depending on which stats you refer to, but there is undoubtedly pressure to be extroverted) Japan is predominantly introverted. In other societies being extroverted is seen as loud, rude, obnoxious, self-centered...(well actually it is at times, isn't it?) and highly discouraged in individuals.

I have yet to find stats on N/S world wide, however, but I would LOVE to find that info...