• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
No problem! I love this stuff.

Yes, measuring emotional intelligence is still in the bloodletting phase. The concept of IQ has been around for much longer. Always the nature vs. nurture debate, right? Emotional intelligence is thought to be more dependent on environment than IQ- but that could be argued, bc theoretically emotional intelligence's "glass ceiling" is largely determined by the potential of IQ "range".

Does temperament have any bearing on emotional intelligence? Does temperament have a genetic component?

Regardless, I wanted to highlight the "not innate...but learned..." portion to help undo some of the damage done by the pressure to behave a certain way or be more like a certain type. We forget that although the U.S. is predominantly extroverted (75% depending on which stats you refer to, but there is undoubtedly pressure to be extroverted) Japan is predominantly introverted. In other societies being extroverted is seen as loud, rude, obnoxious, self-centered...(well actually it is at times, isn't it?) and highly discouraged in individuals.

I have yet to find stats on N/S world wide, however, but I would LOVE to find that info...

Well it appears to be primarily nature from the twin studies we have, but the whole concept of nature/nuture may be misleading. There is a good chat between philosopher Patricia Churchland and Ed Wilson where Wilson suggests we shouldn't even look at it that way as it is obsolete. Wilson was the guy who picked a fight with the blank-slate orthodox back in the 70's when he published the book Sociobiology and was unprepared for the political backlash which was pretty brutal at the time.

I know that they avoid explicitly stating there is an innate factor when it comes to children because that implies they can never improve and people go berserk at the suggestion. My European friends tell me that American tourists are loud and obnoxious. The extroverted thing does appear to be heavily influenced by culture. Psychologist Laurie Helgoe contests the notion that most people are extroverted in a book she wrote showing studies where the majority actually identified themselves as introverted. I watched a documentary about psychopathy awhile back and a researcher from Glasgow was saying that comparisons show that psychopaths tend to be more reserved and quiet in the UK, whereas in North America they are very outgoing and charismatic.

Neuroscience is really adding to our understanding of these things, it seems like everyday something exciting is coming out of that field and I am tempted to go back and study it. Don't get me started!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Not too shabby for someone who suffers from a diagnosed emotionally-related disability.

hommefatal

not so serious test

Your EQ is 180

eq-7.gif

Two possibilities - you've either out "Dr. Phil-ed" Dr. Phil... or you're a dirty liar.

Seriously though, your whole "Don't Worry, Be Happy" philosophy is really what defines emotional intelligence.
You're warm, open, and very optimistic. You know how to act appropriately, even if you don't feel like it.

You are a good communicator, and you have little difficulty with personal relationships - even when you're dealing with difficult people.
In general, you are successful, capable, together person. You get what you want out of life.

What's Your EQ (Emotional Intelligence Quotient)?
rofl, I don't act emotionally intelligent all the time but I know how to. Sometimes I will act differently if I need to achieve a goal.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will apologize for calling you bozos. Deep down something tells me that is a mistake. Is it a mistake?

lol, who are you aiming this at? Just everyone, or anyone who has a vested interest in EQ? Not sure if anyone does...

Afkan

Your EQ is 180

eq-7.gif

Two possibilities - you've either out "Dr. Phil-ed" Dr. Phil... or you're a dirty liar.

Seriously though, your whole "Don't Worry, Be Happy" philosophy is really what defines emotional intelligence.
You're warm, open, and very optimistic. You know how to act appropriately, even if you don't feel like it.

You are a good communicator, and you have little difficulty with personal relationships - even when you're dealing with difficult people.
In general, you are successful, capable, together person. You get what you want out of life.

What's Your EQ (Emotional Intelligence Quotient)?
rofl, I don't act emotionally intelligent all the time but I know how to. Sometimes I will act differently if I need to achieve a goal.

Well, on this test: Your EQ is 187

Hmmm... I think its more likely I am a dirty liar than have an EQ of 187. :)

I could so out Dr. Phil- Dr. Phil, though. :D

I will apologize for calling you bozos. Deep down something tells me that is a mistake. Is it a mistake?
Wow, you are so deep. :rolli:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Subscale IQ score = 98
Subscale percentile = 47

I'm below average... :doh:

I actually still think I am pretty good at reading other people's emotions (the photo scenarios were easy for me), but it's the questions on how I feel about myself that probably tanked my score. I know the "right" answers, but I answered honestly....

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Results of your quiz (The Everyday Science)

You answered correctly 10 out of 10 questions.
This is equivalent to 100 %.

Your grade is

A+

The average number of correct answers is 4, which corresponds to 40 %.

Among those who took this quiz so far, the average grade was:

F

--
cool tests :D