First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Physical details? Not so much.
    But people, if I don't have other things to do I occasionally just start observing and figuring them out. It's fascinating the things you can observe from both a psychological and sociological perspective.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

There is some truth to the OP. I believe in the old motto-if you can see it, it can see you. But when one gets realy good at seeing it either before or after it sees them, one can notice everything if they time it right. Yet if that same one was caught lookin, that one would be labeled shifty-eyes
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

I can make an effort pay attention and observe everything, but unless there's a reason for it, I'm more likely to be lost in thought and not really paying much attention to my surroundings. This doesn't mean I'm oblivious, though. It's not like I brag about my observational skills after stepping around a puddle. Unconsciously, I think we all have a pretty good idea about our environment. We understand enough about it to either ignore it or consciously focus on it.

And usually, choosing to observe things is pretty boring. (There are some things worth watching, I guess, but doing something or thinking about cool stuff seems better.) Do I want to plan my day tomorrow, think about a dream I had, come up with a screen play, and think of things I could invent, or do I want to observe completely inane things in my environment that have nothing to do with me?
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I joked with a friend of mine, ESTP, doing a "pants check" when getting out.. that is, checking that I have my pants on

No, I'm extremely unobservant. It's about focus.

When I try really hard to observe, I do really well. Oh, damned well.

One thing I can't do well if I tried, is to read anyone's emotions. I fall somewhat below the average on that, however I tried. That is, if I have access to just visuals of the said person. If there's audio, I do better; if I do history, I do much better. But. That is getting beside the point.

I'm not generally observant, but I am if I focus on it.

edit: .. but I lose too much of my other qualities when being observant, so it's a trade-off. Uhh. So, the bottom line, it's hard to be observant for me.

edit 2: observant why something works? why something is done? what benefit is there from it? who is who's friend because of the benefit involved? How would one change their behavior given slight adjustments to rewards / benefits? What likelihood is it for someone in a certain situation to act a certain way on based on their goals? Extremely observant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Physical details? Not so much.
    But people, if I don't have other things to do I occasionally just start observing and figuring them out. It's fascinating the things you can observe from both a psychological and sociological perspective.
    This about sums me as well.
    Unfortunately I'm quite bad at noticing small changes unless I deem them important - hence I failed to notice that my INFP friend had changed her hair colour from blonde to red until I was messing around with the stereotypical "Oh I'm having a blonde mome... wait a minute - Oh damn. When did you change your hair?"

Glycerine

I am very observant of people but obliivious to everything else. However, a lot of sensory imagery overwhelms me.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Clothing type and condition, how much money in their wallet, items in pockets or purse, dandruff or other physical conditions, eye color, hair color, height, weight, affect. Environmental conditions and abnormalities. Yep, pretty much.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Ne is all about this... i analyze people based upon what they wear, their pose and facial expression while trying them in different worlds/scenarios as to how they would prove useful.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

It really depends on the day, hour, whenever. If I'm absorbed in thought, I wouldn't notice that someone was even standing in front of me. Other days, I'm very in tune with what's immediately in front of me. Of course, I will be playing a game with myself of guessing what a person's story is. i.e. a man sitting on a bench in a park.. maybe he's daydreaming about his youth as a fireman or thinking about his final jewelry heist.