• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Increasing Intelligence

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
you all can go into huge debate over what intelligence is but first and really all i want to know right now is: what methods are effective... if any are.

i taking ginkgo biblioa pills for a while and the only difference i noticed was that i started sleeping less. ginkgo is supposed to thin the blood or increase the size of arteries or something like that, so more oxygen could get to your brain. i used to also take omega 3 pills. there may have been a difference when i ran out of them...
i dont want placebos, sure it'd be great to feel smart but i want the real thing.
how about meditation?
how about reading? i read but eventually the page starts to swim and i get disoriented... no i dont need glasses. i havent got the attention span to do anything more but skim things anyway. (note to self: practise more focus, it will complement intelligence)
one of the reasons i started playing the keyboard was ebcause i read that it helped bridge the right and left brain which would then aid my mathematical thoughts.

factors (that i can think of) that can override intellectual performance: oxygen supply, mood, energy, sugar levels?

is it (mostly) true that the higher one scores on an iq test (without practise) the more neurons they have in their brain? is it more oxygen? is it brain chemicals? is it the overall map of their neurons that makes the difference?

how about just raising your general level of focus?

what about genetics? im majorly pissed that i didnt inherit my dads freaky iq (no he cant do mental arithmetic, i dotn get whats with that, those poepel have no imagination). will my possibel future children get it? does it depend on the iq of the father? does it depend on very little and more like a roll of the dice?

yep, whatever...

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i don't think you can increase your intelligence per se. but even if you could, the definition of intelligence is broad and accounts for many things. however, with the research i'm doing now, it shows there might be a way of altering things such as (intuitive) intelligence or personality on children. chances are it would at any time most likely be limited how much you can change.

i will most likely post a topic about this in the near future about my research, whenever i feel i have more time.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So is this what an INTP obsesses about on a daily basis?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Practice critical thinking. But a real INTP would be doing this already.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you want to be more intelligent? The more intelligent you are, the more stupid people there are in the world. Stupid people are annoying.
This is why intelligent people are miserable.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Why do you want to be more intelligent? The more intelligent you are, the more stupid people there are in the world. Stupid people are annoying.

*extracts blue's frontal lobe*

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Agreed.. stupid people are annoying..
But.. I think intelligent people can avoid unhappiness quite easily.. provided that they don't allow the stupidity of the masses effect them too deeply..

Otherwise i could see them totally losing faith in humanity.
Moving to a remote cabin in Montana.
And pretty much becoming Mr. Theodore Kaczynski.
...Or moving to Chinatown and becoming a Cat Lady. :peepwall:

But really.. I think some people are intelligent enough to realize life's just too.. well.. awesome.. to allow the stupidity of mankind to mar it. That said, I'd love to increase my capacity to absorb/retain/apply knowledge.. though I'm not sure how realistic that is. Maintaining overall physical health, & exercising use of problem solving skills/engaging the imagination regularly would prove beneficial, either way.

Personally, I believe coffee helps too.
Then again, I believe it solves all my problems.
:coffee:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

You have a point!

Just improve your memory. That will probably be close enough.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed.. stupid people are annoying..
But.. I think intelligent people can avoid unhappiness quite easily.. provided that they don't allow the stupidity of the masses effect them too deeply..

Otherwise i could see them totally losing faith in humanity.
Moving to a remote cabin in Montana.
And pretty much becoming Mr. Theodore Kaczynski.
...Or moving to Chinatown and becoming a Cat Lady. :peepwall:

But really.. I think some people are intelligent enough to realize life's just too.. well.. awesome.. to allow the stupidity of mankind to mar it.

Nice theory. Update us when you become intelligent.

Qre:us

you all can go into huge debate over what intelligence is but first and really all i want to know right now is: what methods are effective... if any are.

i taking ginkgo biblioa pills for a while and the only difference i noticed was that i started sleeping less. ginkgo is supposed to thin the blood or increase the size of arteries or something like that, so more oxygen could get to your brain. i used to also take omega 3 pills. there may have been a difference when i ran out of them...
i dont want placebos, sure it'd be great to feel smart but i want the real thing.

You take pills in hopes of increasing intelligence? :shock:

One of the simplest thing is to play mind chess - either with yourself, and/or, others around you. Streeeetch an idea.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
read but eventually the page starts to swim and i get disoriented... no i dont need glasses. i havent got the attention span to do anything more but skim things anyway.

i know this kind of shit. its amazing how a different live-style can contribute to or take away from spiritual constitution.

living 4 weeks with nice people, doing gymnastics in the morning, doing some therapeutic trance work twice a week, being in nature, trying to find myself - doubled tripled my ability to read and focus/comprehend.

4 weeks of sitting alone at home with the noisy computer, being annoyed by other Internet users, hunting down random useless bits of information - took it away again.

for me it seems, that as a feeling type, i should not live like a cliche enneagram 'five', as much as i like to do that. i can be intp, too *g* but not the best example of intp.

i believe in omega 3, but don't takes substitutes. i just eat fish sometimes ...
also, sugar and phenylalanin and caffeine are evil.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
started playing the keyboard

in case anyone cares ... the trance work i mentioned, its called taketina. or T.A.K.E.T.I.N.A its like playing piano, except it really works right away and does not involve a piano ;)

the down side is, that you are not likely to do that alone. it's a group thing.

TaKeTiNa Rhythm Process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TaKeTiNa

not the best demonstration, i think :

YouTube - What is TaKeTiNa?

this one is way better:

YouTube - Taketina with Shasta and Brian

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've been IQ 160 most my life, dropped to 145 after my burnout, once did an iq test of only 108 or so, then returned to 145.. now I'm working my way up to 160 again.

Care about your life, concentrate (if it works for you), be free (if it works for you), see things in a wider perspective, including what medical treatment, exercise etc works for you. Don't hesitate to do what's good for you. Don't seek for comfort, ease or anything of the kind; seek comfort from doing, thinking, experience or anything.. anything, ANYTHING but just "not thinking about it" or "just being". Idleness screws you over. Not caring screws you over.

Entering in the mode of "just being", "just existing" is deadly for your IQ.

Pardon my low-IQ writing style, I haven't found a strong enough connection between writing well when drunk and getting the necessary satisfaction. Hence, my writing style varies. Hope I've been of some help.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I've been IQ 160 most my life, dropped to 145 after my burnout, once did an iq test of only 108 or so, then returned to 145.. now I'm working my way up to 160 again.

Care about your life, concentrate (if it works for you), be free (if it works for you), see things in a wider perspective, including what medical treatment, exercise etc works for you. Don't hesitate to do what's good for you. Don't seek for comfort, ease or anything of the kind; seek comfort from doing, thinking, experience or anything.. anything, ANYTHING but just "not thinking about it" or "just being". Idleness screws you over. Not caring screws you over.

Pardon my low-IQ writing style, I haven't found a strong enough connection between writing well when drunk and getting the necessary satisfaction. Hence, my writing style varies. Hope I've been of some help.

you seem very biased towards NJ. i don't think you can imagine how NP works, especially what you say about idleness or "just being".

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You take pills in hopes of increasing intelligence? :shock:

One of the simplest thing is to play mind chess - either with yourself, and/or, others around you. Streeeetch an idea.

good point.

These are some ways to increase intelligence:
read
write down your thoughts
think about the future
think about everythinhg
play chess
never talk to sensors

the last point is extremely important.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice theory. Update us when you become intelligent.

Thanks, but I'd thought it was fairly obvious I wasn't asserting any sort of refined theory here; simply a lighthearted, general opinion, and a more or less awkward stab at some humor.

I'm also assuming your initial response to the OP denoted a touch of cynical humor. Pardon if I'd misinterpreted.
In all seriousness.. I actually did find that to be a thought-provoking remark on your part.

I'm not entirely sure your basic generalization, "more intelligent people tend to be miserable," holds any actual validty, though it'd make for an interesting thread here in of itself. A survey of opinions from the general public, more or less. Researching any stats offered in scholarly journals of qualitative social sciences, etc., to find possible correlations between IQ scores & emotional functionality seems like an objective enough approach to supplement it.. I'm sure it's been done before, and the information's out there somewhere.

I know a decent amount of intellectually gifted people IRL. Most seem to maintain a balanced perspective, tolerate stress well, and tend to find a fair degree of humor in aspects of life that may, conversely, serve to depress people with poorly developed coping skills.
I s'pose that begs the whole Nature vs Nurture question.. and how much of our capacity to learn is limited by unhealthy upbringings, or if/how & how much/little IQ impacts/plays a role in the development of overall emotional resiliency in a person (or vice-versa)...

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
you seem very biased towards NJ. i don't think you can imagine how NP works, especially what you say about idleness or "just being".
Do you have suggestions for improving my NP-like intelligence? I'm in a kind of a creative rut right now. Or so I feel.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Nah, I was just being a bitch.

It's just a personal observation, which seems to hold true anecdotally. I haven't done any research on it.

But the OP hasn't explained why she feels the need to be more intelligent - what purpose would it serve? Does she think it will make her happier? Unlikely.

I don't think any extremes are healthy. People who put themselves under too much pressure to excel in any narrow area of life tend to lose focus and miss the bigger picture. They are often driven by fear and a nagging sense of impending failure which no amount of achievement will allay. They are looking for answers without understanding the question.

Intelligence is a tool, not an end in itself.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD

I completely agree but at the same time, I feel much happier than when I was being both intelligent and intellectual.

There's not much intelligence needed to be happy though. Somehow, happiness neglects intelligence but I can't connect it. I'm sorry.

Do you have suggestions for improving my NP-like intelligence? I'm in a kind of a creative rut right now. Or so I feel.

Make a mistake.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'd increase my intelligence, I wouldn't be able to understand myself anymore.

(Yes, a terribly flawed joke, hah, joke's on me. :( )