User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 41

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I always wondered about ways to increase intelligence too, even as a little
    kid I would be daydreaming about things I wanted to do but just couldn't s-
    eem to get the resources for to learn them...when I was in my early twenties
    I realized it was just because I was looking too hard...I went through a brief
    identity crisis where I just wanted to give up and be a regular, ordinary part-
    ying, shopping college age kid, I lived it for a while but it just kept seeming
    to me like something was missing then i realized I was in another rut so i tur-
    ned to daydreaming and fantasizing or going out and wandering around to see
    where I ended up then I just stumbled on the things I needed, I didn't care
    about possibilities of criticism or failure because they were things I had a pas-
    sion for doing. Even if I didn't end up getting to do as much as I wanted with
    them in the real world I didn't care, to an ENTJ getting to do things you've
    dreamed about is like waking up to realize a dreams became real life. Doesn't
    seem rational, in fact maybe a teensy bit like grandure, a word that never
    really crossed my mind as a kid...when you find yourself wondering if you pre-
    fered daydreams to real life is like realizing its not the innocent days anymore.

    Funny how intelligence isn't something you can pull out of thin air, but things
    you've thought about doing and forgotten about over time stay with you...its
    funny how random thoughts that pass as quick as they started can have an
    impact on your life like ten years later or so. When I was bored and went to
    watch a movie in another language to kill time I remembered I wanted to learn
    the language as a teenager because a book I read was set in the country th-
    at spoke it and when I found the stuff to learn it then it lead to being interes
    ted in other things that made me bounce ideas off of them that I could apply
    in the real world I felt like the scene from Wicked where Elphaba is chanting
    over the broom and nothing happens so Glinda asks well, where are your wings, what if you're not as powerful as you think you are? then glindas like
    sweet oz when the broom levitates and Elphabas like didn't I tell you? when
    i realized I was into reading classics and stuff and things that boosted my i.q
    i realized I just wasn't satisfied with things and found more 'real world' things
    I was good at because daydreaming drew me to them. i guess i've realized
    you don't always get to do things the first time you think of them for a reason
    and some things aren't meant to be explained. sometimes I wondered why i
    was like this because everyone else was so satisfied with the present and
    mediocracy and didn't care about adventure and things in general like seeing
    big cities and stuff like that either. i never let on that I felt like an oddball.
    you have all the power you need if you dare to look
    for it.

  2. #32
    the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    RAD
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Totally. Put yourself in situations you aren't comfortable with. Quickest way out a rut, and I wish I did it more often.
    Just don't do it too often or you may come to the point where you put yourself into those situations all to often and do not know the difference from what you would've done and what you are doing.

    Believe me, it's not a good course.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

  3. #33
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Thanks, inspiring advice. I'll try it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #34
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    The OP is not defining intelligence to begin with. So i am going to assume you are speaking of problem-solving and the level of understanding which is the generalized definition. There is no way you can alter your brain to have a positive increase in intelligence in contemporary times.. you can however improve cogitation and concentration.. which are compensating factors to a high level of intelligence. These will allow for proficient problem-solving and slower-pace understanding. There are also various concept that would help in the long run as it has been mentioned.


    Also many people seem to have the notion that intelligent people are supposedly miserable because of a lack of mutual understanding with average and stupid people.. which makes no sense at all. These inviduals empathize too much on connecting intellectually... they are bound to be disspointed with humanity in general all the time. Besides a smart person would be able to effectively eliminate the negative factors, and would not have put themselves in a marginalized position in the first place.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  5. #35
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    intelligence is not a tool and because of that it can't be applied at will. it's who you are, so you must maintain it by means of intrinsic authenticity.
    If it's who you are then why do you need to maintain it?
    That doesn't make sense. If it's intrinsic to your being then there wouldn't be much you could do one way or the other to alter it.

    It is a tool, in the sense that it is a means to an end. Not an end in itself. What value is intelligence if it isn't applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's up to them if these "issues" bother them. Trying to find an answer to a complicated scientific question or problem is not something that usually deters from the happiness of a person; usually "smaller", cumulated problems are those that interfere the most (lack of resources, lack of home, lack of job, lack of friends, criminality, bad health) with happiness, problems that smarter people are much less likely to have, on average. I think it has yet to be proved that neuroticism (which is what you speak about in your post, for example) and intelligence are correlated. If you look at "geniuses", you will find both very good-natured people, and neurotic ones.
    How many geniuses have been happy, contented sorts, and how many have killed themselves?

    Your argument is fallacious. You are saying that trying to find the answer to a complicated scientific question isn't a factor in the happiness of the average individual. But we are not talking about the average individual. The average individual doesn't trouble himself with such thoughts. Maslow, etc.

    K R Jamieson amongst others has written about the correlation between genius and mental illness.

    Health is found in homeostasis and balance, not at the edge of the bell curve.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think it's very easy to be happier if you're smarter. Smarter=can do things quickly=have more free time to do what you want=happy
    Having more time can just mean having more time to be bored, unless you are lucky enough to find a sufficiently stimulating environment, and those become harder to find with increasing intelligence (of necessity). Boredom makes people unhappy.

    And no matter how intelligent you are, you will always run up against the limitations of human frailty. The higher your standards are, the more disappointment you will face. The larger the questions you grapple with, the greater your exasperation at their seeming insolubility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #36
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    If it's who you are then why do you need to maintain it?
    That doesn't make sense. If it's intrinsic to your being then there wouldn't be much you could do one way or the other to alter it.

    It is a tool, in the sense that it is a means to an end. Not an end in itself. What value is intelligence if it isn't applied?


    How many geniuses have been happy, contented sorts, and how many have killed themselves?

    Your argument is fallacious. You are saying that trying to find the answer to a complicated scientific question isn't a factor in the happiness of the average individual. But we are not talking about the average individual. The average individual doesn't trouble himself with such thoughts. Maslow, etc.

    K R Jamieson amongst others has written about the correlation between genius and mental illness.

    Health is found in homeostasis and balance, not at the edge of the bell curve.



    Having more time can just mean having more time to be bored, unless you are lucky enough to find a sufficiently stimulating environment, and those become harder to find with increasing intelligence (of necessity). Boredom makes people unhappy.

    And no matter how intelligent you are, you will always run up against the limitations of human frailty. The higher your standards are, the more disappointment you will face. The larger the questions you grapple with, the greater your exasperation at their seeming insolubility.
    You know that you argued two opposing point of views in the two different quotes, right?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  7. #37
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You know that you argued two opposing point of views in the two different quotes, right?

    No. I was just attacking errors in logic. If you find any in mine, feel free to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Everyone wants more money, a better house, a better job, a slimmer figure, a better spouse, a better education, even more friends.

    But no one wants to be more intelligent.

    This is because we perceive in gestalts.

    And our horizon is the edge of our gestalt.

    We can see no further. And it makes no sense to see any further because in a gestalt we see everything that is.

    And this is true of all gestalts.

    And if by some magic we were able to become more intelligent, we would still only be able to see all there is. After all, there is nothing else.

  9. #39
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    ^ Closely related to Intellect Denial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #40
    loopy Ulaes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd
    Posts
    850

    Default

    living 4 weeks with nice people, doing gymnastics in the morning, doing some therapeutic trance work twice a week, being in nature, trying to find myself - doubled tripled my ability to read and focus/comprehend.

    4 weeks of sitting alone at home with the noisy computer, being annoyed by other Internet users, hunting down random useless bits of information - took it away again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    One of the simplest thing is to play mind chess - either with yourself, and/or, others around you. Streeeetch an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    Not having enough REM-sleep will make you stupid.

    noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    If you come across things like supplements which really work for you, let me know.

    meditation: focusing soley on the sensation of your breathing. But its really difficult and in most cases vie tried it ive either eventually given up or fallen asleep. But the when i succeeded felt a sensation of intense rejuvination through my brain, the feeling you have when you finally start ot go to sleep only x 1000000. afterwards I noticed a significant change, even after some of my half attempts. you "awake" in a state of focus. in fact, it takes awhile to come out of it. once, i had to stare at a blade of grass for a few mintues, gradually letting more and more thoughts enter my mind. my decision making became significantly more efficient, i made all the right ones without zoning out or getting distracted. such clarity and focus was totally alien to me. it doesnt change the make-up fo your intellect but it will allow you to utilize it.
    but i read it needs to be done twice daily for at least twenty minutes to have a longterm/ongiong benefit. ive never been that dedicated...

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Sensor Intelligence
    By labyrinthine in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 03:19 AM
  2. The Evolution of Human Cognition, Artificial Intelligence, Supervenience
    By ferunandesu in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:22 AM
  4. Ken Miller on Intelligent Design
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
  5. Supposed "intelligence" quotient
    By Mycroft in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO