User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 82

  1. #1
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default I'm officially emotionally retarded...

    So I tell my counselor that if I had to place a wager of any magnitude on a decision that I had make using solely my emotions that I would not do it, and that I was begining to think I was emotionally retarded (for lack of a better term).

    He laughed and said he had been trying to tell me as such for a few months now. I've been called blunt, crass, and even cold many times throughout my life, but I never thought I would be paralyzed in decision making because of this, because I never believed that there were such things as decisions that had to be made soley with emotions, and that could not be setup in a spreadsheet.

    So, my homework is to develop my connectivity with my emotions so that I can become a better developed person.

    I have been taksed to ask myself questions (and answer them) such as:

    "How do I feel right now?"

    "Why do I feel this way?"

    "What in my past might be pre-disposing me to have these feelings?"

    Etc.

    Does this homework I've been assigned seem to be of potential benefit?

    Any other tactics that might work?

    Any that might work really quickly, maybe a video, or even a few bullet points?



    I'm officially a FEEL-o-tard!!!
    Last edited by Halla74; 04-27-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Corrected by Ms. ShortNSweet! :D

  2. #2
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Doesn't a sensotard have to be a non-sensor? anyway, what kind of a decision would be based PURELY on emotions?

  3. #3
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    LOL wouldn't it be a feel-o-tard?

    Do you ever have these gut "hunches" that guide your decisions? I usually view emotional decisions as something like that. If I think about something, then imagine what I would think of it if I were a whiney little child who just wanted his way, it usually produces a "pulling" sensation towards a certain course of action, and that's what I consider my "emotional decision," roughly speaking. With enough practice, that "whiney little child's" thoughts start to take on a more... sophisticated form, like, say, curiously finding its viewpoint congruent with popular moral & ethical principles.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  4. #4
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Doesn't a sensotard have to be a non-sensor? anyway, what kind of a decision would be based PURELY on emotions?

    You are F so it can be somewhat hard to understand.
    I am clearly a emotionally reataird. What means that I am unable to experiance many things that life offers. But I get certain bonuses for being like this. I am not bothered by this, but that is exactly because of emotional deficit. In theory I could use more emotion in my head.

  5. #5
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    You are F so it can be somewhat hard to understand.
    I am clearly a emotionally reataird. What means that I am unable to experiance many things that life offers. But I get certain bonuses for being like this. I am not bothered by this, but that is exactly because of emotional deficit. In theory I could use more emotion in my head.

    That wasn't my question. Its not about weather you fit in or experience things that life offers, its that I can't think of any decisions that one would ever make purely based on emotions. I can think of a few that CAN be based purely on emotions. Like "I'm going to cancoon next week cause its fun." (that decision would still probably be better made using logic.) But I can't think of any decision that could possibly require emotions only. Even as a feeler, every decision that I make requires logic and I can use emotion if I choose to do so.

  6. #6
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    That wasn't my question. Its not about weather you fit in or experience things that life offers, its that I can't think of any decisions that one would ever make purely based on emotions. I can think of a few that CAN be based purely on emotions. Like "I'm going to cancoon next week cause its fun." (that decision would still probably be better made using logic.) But I can't think of any decision that could possibly require emotions only. Even as a feeler, every decision that I make requires logic and I can use emotion if I choose to do so.
    Well, I wasn't answering your question. I was just trying to offer you a insight about being strong T. Your question stands but that is not what this is all about. Since things are not so black and white.

  7. #7
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    but I never thought I would be paralyzed in decision making because of this, because I never believed that there were such things as decisions that had to be made soley with emotions, and that could not be setup in a spreadsheet.

    So, my homework is to develop my connectivity with my emotions so that I can become a better developed person.

    I have been taksed to ask myself questions (and answer them) such as:

    "How do I feel right now?"

    "Why do I feel this way?"

    "What in my past might be pre-disposing me to have these feelings?"

    Etc.

    Does this homework I've been assigned seem to be of potential benefit?

    Any other tactics that might work?

    Any that might work really quickly, maybe a video, or even a few bullet points?



    I'm officially a sensotard!!!
    I'm referring to this.

    What kind of a decision will paralyze you because you can't use your emotions?
    The exercise is good if you want to develop a more sensitive feeling side, but I'm not really quite sure what the end result is supposed to be. (Besides just becoming more generally aware of your emotions.) Are you trying to achieve something?

  8. #8
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm referring to this.

    What kind of a decision will paralyze you because you can't use your emotions?
    The exercise is good if you want to develop a more sensitive feeling side, but I'm not really quite sure what the end result is supposed to be. (Besides just becoming more generally aware of your emotions.) Are you trying to achieve something?
    To clarify, I would say as a class, the type of decisions that I would cateogrize as such would be very significant decisions specific to serious interpersonal relations. Does that make more sense? Those subject to lots of "Fuzzy Logic." (e.g .You just KNOW which house feels like home, you don't get that from your spreadsheet...)

  9. #9
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    To clarify, I would say as a class, the type of decisions that I would cateogrize as such would be very significant decisions specific to serious interpersonal relations. Does that make more sense? Those subject to lots of "Fuzzy Logic." (e.g .You just KNOW which house feels like home, you don't get that from your spreadsheet...)
    I guess so. But is this lack of feeling causing you to not make those kinds of decisions? I mean, it seems to me that a thinker might say, "This house does not feel like a home, I am leaving." Not sit around and wait because they can't make decisions using emotions. You know what I mean? I guess being able to clarify those emotions that you're having may make for a better argument in those cases, and so that you could describe it better to the other person? Is that what you're trying to do?

  10. #10
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    1. How can your counselor be trying to tell you something for months? Why doesn't he just say it?? Seems incredible ineffective as a professional. (sorry, just my honest opinion)

    2. I could never complete a bs assignment like that. I feel happy or I feel sad. That's about the extent of surface emotions - I feel shit MUCH later, once I've had a chance to think about it. However, I could learn from NOT acting on impulse. If someone is crying, my first instinct is to interrogate. If I take a deep breath and step back and assess, I realize that I should hug first. I learned how to connect to people by stepping back and asking:
    "what is it that would make this person feel better?"
    "what does this person need me to do right now?"
    if I think about acting the way I want to and I know we'll argue about it later: "what would this person say is the root of the argument?", then I would try to avoid that argument by providing what it is that I think they need.

    It still has NOTHING to do with how I feel, though... A leopard can't change its spots.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Emotional Challenges
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 04:21 PM
  2. Chicago's Mayor is Officially Retarded.
    By Hexis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 04:01 AM
  3. [JCF] Becoming Emotionally Retarded?
    By Electric in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
  4. Envy: one of the darkest emotions?
    By Maverick in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO